This virus has laid me low, emotionally speaking

Rant on Carol. You are not the only one affected this way. Would it help to video chat with family members? Is there a hobby that brings you joy? I started to feel myself getting depressed and have immersed myself in music...particularly dance music which really picks up my spirits. My son did a live House Music stream on FB which I really enjoyed. We miss going to his parties and dancing but I danced at home.

I have streaming options like you and losing myself in my favorite programs does help. One of the biggest helpers is the laugh fests I've been having with a good friend of mine. She has been through a truly nightmarish, hellish situation trying to resolve her mother's estate, she's living hand to mouth, her son is doing wrong and she has much to be depressed about. But I can always make her laugh, something she always thanks me for. The other day we were on the phone for almost two hours laughing our heads off. Some of it was stupid stuff, some of it was inside jokes, some of it even about this COVID-19 situation. If you can find a way to laugh, it will be good for you physically and mentally.

Fiona, sorry about your knee issues, but you must do your PT. You must. [...]

Now, start those laps, please.
🤗

Sorry it took me a while to respond, RadishRose. I had already started the laps, but I was inconsistent. (And thank you, SeaBreeze and AnnieA, too, for the encouragement!)

But I'm doing much better now. I called my PT clinic and was able to arrange a phone consultation with my therapist. He got me morivated! For about 10 days now I've been consistent about doing those laps in the hallway, 1000 feet every day, and every other day I lift ankle weights and do other exercises for my legs.

I'm quite wobbly, so I still need the walker near me in case I stumble, but I'm just pushing it in front of me, not even putting as much weight on it as you do on a shopping cart. I have permanent changes from the complications of the knee surgeries, but I'm determined to teach my gimpy body how to walk again—hopefully without even a cane.

Last edited:
We have to find some humor & there is plenty.
Like today - we're being told to stay home & not go anywhere, even shopping for food.
A minute later, we're told "There is a blood shortage & we're asking you to go to one of the listed locations to donate blood."

I reset all my doctor appointments to a month from now and canceled PT as well. It’s just a waiting game, waiting out the virus. I do feel more able to go out with the mask and social distancing.

Went to the Costco. They are only letting so many into the store now, the line went fast though, and they have more limits on items. So much for buying stuff for people who can’t get out. Wanted 2 tuna fish, one for us, one for the group home, allowed only one. They had packages of 30 rolls of TP. Limit 1.

Our brand of bottled water, 1. Hadn’t found drinking water in a while. I seem to have the same sadness as most everyone else. Not sleeping much.

Yeah I feel the same way. I never did socialize much. I live in a state with boring predictable scenery, so a drive gets me nowhere special. Note: even some county parks, forest preserves, are closed. What's left? Go to one of the 8 states that have no shelter- at- home, presently? No. Like to wait weeks for a friendly call or text? Hey, my insurance agent called me just to chat! That's it.
Now is the time to begin a new hobby or project at home.

Yeah I feel the same way. I never did socialize much. I live in a state with boring predictable scenery, so a drive gets me nowhere special. Note: even some county parks, forest preserves, are closed. What's left? Go to one of the 8 states that have no shelter- at- home, presently? No. Like to wait weeks for a friendly call or text? Hey, my insurance agent called me just to chat! That's it.
Now is the time to begin a new hobby or project at home.
Well, just saying don’t come to Utah. While the parks are closed, you can walk in them using social distance, but out of state residents can’t, they made that rule after someone got lost and had to be found.

She was from out of state. Apparently if you get lost, now, and are out of state, good luck, but no rescue.

For me, the saddest part is that I'm on the downhill side of my life, and this is time I was hoping to use to do many of the things I had postponed while rearing children and working a demanding job. Now, I sit and watch as tears go by. . .

For me, the saddest part is that I'm on the downhill side of my life, and this is time I was hoping to use to do many of the things I had postponed while rearing children and working a demanding job. Now, I sit and watch as tears go by. . .

i had forgot about this song, thanks for the memory. Most of us on this site are on the downhill of life. Some are very active, some like me are not. I thought I’d spend the rest of my life having all the kids over for Sunday lunch. Half of them moved out of state a year ago. 😰

I thought I would be gardening my heart out, veggies and flowers. My health won’t support even this minor lifestyle. I thought we would be taking a lot of vacations-he refuses due to my health. He asked what do I do if you die in the car?

Toss me out. 🤣

I don’t know what you wanted to do and I don’t know why you can’t do those things. Life, like when we were younger, continues to change and we continue to adapt. I am sorry you must choose a different path. I am sorry I throw myself so many pity parties. But where ever we find ourselves, there we are.

Marlene, you certainly have our sympathy.
We are right there with you on this big boat.
Hopefully, this will pass quicker than expected and we can all get back to our lives, or at least to picking up the pieces of our lives.

i had forgot about this song, thanks for the memory. Most of us on this site are on the downhill of life. Some are very active, some like me are not. I thought I’d spend the rest of my life having all the kids over for Sunday lunch. Half of them moved out of state a year ago. 😰

I thought I would be gardening my heart out, veggies and flowers. My health won’t support even this minor lifestyle. I thought we would be taking a lot of vacations-he refuses due to my health. He asked what do I do if you die in the car?

Toss me out. 🤣

I don’t know what you wanted to do and I don’t know why you can’t do those things. Life, like when we were younger, continues to change and we continue to adapt. I am sorry you must choose a different path. I am sorry I throw myself so many pity parties. But where ever we find ourselves, there we are.
I'm in good health. The reason I can't do the things I'd planned is simply that we are all on lockdown. So, I watch plan after plan go up in smoke as the days go by with no way of knowing how long we will be stuck in limbo.

I'm sorry to hear your health is not good. I'm very fortunate to be healthy and quite active. So my sadness is simply from the postponement of "living my life" instead of watching it pass me by.

But. . .on a brighter note, I learned today that some of my art was accepted into a juried art show, so I have something nice to look forward to in August (if not before).

Back