Time For Camping

MaryM58

So excited, It is time to get out my camping gear and go camping this weekend. Been waiting for better weather. It is here. Can't wait to drink my coffee and cook on an open fire. I so love camping. My sister and I camp @ state parks...Ride our bicycles, fish, swim, have a wonderful time... Sooo excited!

So excited, It is time to get out my camping gear and go camping this weekend. Been waiting for better weather. It is here. Can't wait to drink my coffee and cook on an open fire. I so love camping. My sister and I camp @ state parks...Ride our bicycles, fish, swim, have a wonderful time... Sooo excited!
It has been a long time since I've been camping. We had a custom tent made, and had a canoe. Algonquin
Park was a favourite place to camp. I remember one time, taking our labrador puppy with us .. didn't get
any sleep that weekend - too many new smells around.

There is really nothing like being out in nature .. you and your sister, enjoy!

That sounds wonderful, Mary! My sister goes camping with her extended family nearly every weekend from Memorial Day to past Labor Day and loves it. I think I'd like it if I'd ever get around to going, but it hasn't happened so far. My only camping experience has been the rugged kind with sleeping bag on the hard ground... nope, nope... not gonna do that again! :giggle: @MaryM58

I've always liked camping, and not necessarily in a Charles Hawtrey or John Inman kind of way. Well actually, that’s not entirely true, I have been known to camp that way at work. Much to the amusement of people around me, who then say it looks too authentic. Which then promotes some to say, “We really worry about you”.

Yeah…? :unsure:..... But anyway, what type of camping do you enjoy? In the outdoor under the stars way, that is. It is very minimalist, or do you take the bathroom and kitchen with you too?

I've always liked camping, and not necessarily in a Charles Hawtrey or John Inman kind of way. Well actually, that’s not entirely true, I have been known to camp that way at work. Much to the amusement of people around me, who then say it looks too authentic. Which then promotes some to say, “We really worry about you”.

Yeah…? :unsure:..... But anyway, what type of camping do you enjoy? In the outdoor under the stars way, that is. It is very minimalist, or do you take the bathroom and kitchen with you too?
I love looking @ the stars, I use to camp roughing it, older now...love camping....but enjoy the easy way now. Have my tent, sleeping bag, cook stove, wood for my fire, yet have plug in for my phone etc...lol

I love looking @ the stars, I use to camp roughing it, older now...love camping....but enjoy the easy way now. Have my tent, sleeping bag, cook stove, wood for my fire, yet have plug in for my phone etc...lol

It's amazing what you can see on a clear night with no light pollution. There are more things burning up in the atmosphere than I first thought.

Sometimes I camp on a mounting with others. Only in possession of a one man tent each, a small stove, and a box of wine.

I go on vacation, staying in a hotel, alone. I have been trying to work up the courage to camp alone. I actually love camping. I have been reading about how to set up my SUV so I can sleep inside it and have purchased a tent that attaches to the back of the vehicle so you can go from one to the other through the rear door. Now, if I can muster the courage........

I go on vacation, staying in a hotel, alone. I have been trying to work up the courage to camp alone. I actually love camping. I have been reading about how to set up my SUV so I can sleep inside it and have purchased a tent that attaches to the back of the vehicle so you can go from one to the other through the rear door. Now, if I can muster the courage........
Are your fearful for your safety or of discomfort?

What do like to do while camping? Hike, fish, relax, make fires, look at stars, cook?

Our camping has evolved over the years. We are now in a small motorhome. My must haves are dry bed, AC, toilet and walls the bears can't tear open. Hubs list cold beer in fridge, rack big enough for all the fishing rods, recliner, did I mention cold beer?

Are your fearful for your safety or of discomfort?

What do like to do while camping? Hike, fish, relax, make fires, look at stars, cook?

I think I am fearful for my safety. Being old and living alone has taught me that there are people who will take advantage of that, more than you might think.

I love the peace, that first cup of coffee made outside in the morning, easy hikes, sitting around a campfire at night (though I have never done that by myself) and all of nature whether it is a thunderstorm or a calm, sunny day.

I used to think I hated camping, because when I tried it in my 20s I was too cold at night.

Then, in my late 60s, I happily lived in a tent for 2 entire summers. (I did have access to a kitchen and bathroom.) I slept on mats on the ground, which I don't believe I can do any more.

A man on a dating site had the heading, "Let's go camping." I didn't respond, because people have such different ideas of what camping is. Freezing on a rock? Carrying heavy packs into the woods? RVing in crowded campgrounds?

Used to wilderness camp and fish for a week in the MN Boundary Waters at least once a year. Packed light on the food, planning much of the menu on caught fish. But about 15 years ago or so, I found that I could barely get an hour of sleep in a tent sleeping over a foam pad. If I "camped" now, it would be in a trailer with a comfy bed and AC. But then I might as well just stay in a hotel so I at least get free coffee and breakfast.

For those who are nervous…state park campgrounds are a great choice in the west. Many have “full hookup” which is water, sewer and electrical if you need such. Showers and toilets for those in tents or cars. On a recent california trip we stayed in two different state parks. Cost was about thirty for full hookup. Pretty darn safe…

The Golden Age Passport. This is what I have.

It is issued to citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are 62 or older. It also provides a 50 percent discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, boat launching, parking, and so on. The Golden Age Passport does not cover fees charged by private concessionaires.

http://npshistory.com/brochures/permits/annual_pass/pass-programs-undated1.pdf

But then I might as well just stay in a hotel so I at least get free coffee and breakfast.
But in your RV you can make your own great coffee to consume while sitting outside in the fresh air, probably listening to the waves lapping up on the shore.

Our RVing days are now over. We did it from the roughest to moderately comfortable. We never had a desire for a monster sized vehicle.

It's amazing what you can see on a clear night with no light pollution. There are more things burning up in the atmosphere than I first thought.

Sometimes I camp on a mounting with others. Only in possession of a one man tent each, a small stove, and a box of wine.
lol @ box of wine

I think I am fearful for my safety. Being old and living alone has taught me that there are people who will take advantage of that, more than you might think.

I love the peace, that first cup of coffee made outside in the morning, easy hikes, sitting around a campfire at night (though I have never done that by myself) and all of nature whether it is a thunderstorm or a calm, sunny day.
Having camped alone for a couple winters in Baja, MX I was sometimes fearful. My strategy was to get far off the highway on dirt roads so I was comfortable I wouldn't be bothered since no one knew I was there.

Another way to insure your safety is to go state, national forest or national park campgrounds using the reservation system (reservation.gov) to insure you stay in a place w a sufficient number of other campers. For the past 3 years in the summer at popular spots many are 100% booked so it's somewhat crowded even.

I asked these questions in another thread because I didn't see this one first. No need to answer in the other thread.
How often do you go camping Mary? Do you always go to the same spot? My honorary daughter was supposed to take me "glamping" once but we wound up not going. The outdoor camping thing is definitely not for me. :)

Quote Reply
Report Edit

I asked these questions in another thread because I didn't see this one first. Do you go camping at the same place each time? How often do you go?
It's a mix of favored spots and new ones. We typically go on a 10 day trip in early spring, a couple of summer outings, and then another long trip in the fall. The longer trips usually are to see National Parks or similar areas and the summer ones to mountain lakes or rivers.

Back