Tiny Spot in the Vision of my Left Eye, Floater or.....?

Wow Win, 8 days must have been very upsetting and disruptive for you. I've had it done several times and the effects have only lasted a few hours, starting to get back to normal within the hour. I have Kaiser Permanente, and I double they would let their doctors use a method that would cost them or their patients any extra money. I didn't know about those cameras, thanks for the info.

Wow Win, 8 days must have been very upsetting and disruptive for you. I've had it done several times and the effects have only lasted a few hours, starting to get back to normal within the hour. I have Kaiser Permanente, and I double they would let their doctors use a method that would cost them or their patients any extra money. I didn't know about those cameras, thanks for the info.
Yes, it was 8 days of hell - not knowing if I would ever see again. And at my next eye exam, you wouldn't believe what the doctor suggested. I asked him if he has the Optomap camera. He gave me the same B.S. about it not providing a clear photo, when the truth is, he didn't want to spend the money for it. When I told him why I wouldn't allow dilation & I'd have my retina photo done somewhere else, he said, "Oh, don't worry; I have another drug that reverses the dilation." I said, "No thanks; why would I risk another bad reaction with another drug when there is a safe alternative?"
I got up & left; I didn't trust him.

If Kaiser is too cheap to buy the camera, it's worth it to have an eye exam at another place & pay for it. My optometrist only charges $135.00 for a complete eye exam. Unless you have an eye problem that needs medical treatment, an optometrist is qualified to diagnose eye problems.
By the way, the Optomap camera is not "new" technology; it's been here for many years.

i have a pin point cateract in my right pupil ..but ive had this since birth....its so recognisable....people often comment.......not much vision from this eye.......my brain, has got used to telling the left eye to do all the work, so laser treatment wasn't recommended .....

Got a very thorough exam today, paid $25 for the copay. I got a prescription for glasses that I will definitely fill. He said I had beginning signs of cataracts forming but I shouldn't need surgery for them for years. Also the start of dry macular degeneration, but not bad so far, no bleeding or anything.

He said the supplements I was using were very good and to continue, also the Refresh eye drops were the brand he highly recommended and I've been using them for many years, so I'll keep that up. He had me go to a technician afterwards for a laser scan and said he didn't expect anything to be wrong with it, but if there was he'd call me. The tech said it was to see if there was any swelling in back of the eyes. The dilation wasn't too bad today, was less than a half hour when I decided to drive home.

He said all in all my eyes were pretty healthy looking, from the prescription it looks like my vision in my right eye is weaker, 20/40 and 20/25 in the left eye. I had them check my plan at Kaiser for eyeglass coverage, and there is none. I'll be checking out a couple of inexpensive eyeglass places before I order them, like America's Best and there's a place inside the local Walmart.

I researched high and low for weeks and found these Two excellent professional grade/quality eye formulas that (I Hope) help prevent eye problems and eye diseases and may keep existing conditions from getting worse. After reading through the posts on Macular Degeneration I was glad to see that I am getting at least some Goji Berry in one of these.

The hyperlinks below give the research and science about these formulas.

Ocular Pressure & Retina Defense
product-HOP01-a-facts.jpg
Vision Essentials Gold
product-VEG01-a-facts.jpg
https://www.drwhitaker.com/vision-essentials-goldhttps://www.drwhitaker.com/ocular-pressure-retina-defense-1

Last edited:
I purchased a two pairs of glasses with the best progressive lenses available at America's Best yesterday. They were expensive, but I figured at this point my eyesight is nothing to skimp on. The less expensive no-line bifocals/progressives had smaller fields of vision which meant big blurry sections on the lens in the peripheral vision...not something I even knew about and definitely not something I would want.

Since I was already taking most of the supplements recommended by the Optometrist and AREDS, I went to the health store and bought a combo of Zinc and Copper, things that did not meet the dosing specs in my regular routine. Will be a couple of weeks before I get the glasses, as they send out of state for the lenses to be made.

The bottom photo on this page is the lens I went with.

https://www.americasbest.com/eyeglass-lenses/no-line-bifocals-progressives

I just picked up my progressive glasses and instead of the computer text looking more clear than with my over the counter readers that I'm used to, it is blurry. I'm disappointed right now, but I'll give myself a chance to get used to them and hopefully this will get better. It's only been a few minutes since I went online. No matter how I tilt my head right now, the text on the computer is blurry. :( I always have had my computer view set to zoom at 120%.

The top of the lens is supposed to be for distance, middle for computer and TV and bottom for reading. The reading seems okay, and the TV isn't bad but I find I'm moving my head up and down a lot. It's weird wearing them.

Has anyone here had a blurry computer screen when they first got their progressives, did it clear up for you? How long does it take to get used to wearing these? Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for any advice.

I don't have very good advice because I have never had those, but I have had trifocals, in the past,
and I wonder,
have you tried changing the zoom, to each of the different settings options, to see if ANY of them are clear,
when you tilt to look thru that middle lense?

I am sure the progressives will take getting used to and some time,
but it concerns me that no matter how you tilt, the middle does not make clear, your computer screen.
Is the computer screen distance from your eyes, movable?
I would try making adjustments, by moving the screen if it moves,
and by trying all the zooms,
to see if the lens in middle, will make it clear at all, in any situation.

Thanks Kaila! I just went to a higher zoom and it was a bit clearer, but still not completely clear like my 1.75 readers that I'm used to using. I did try zooming out too for smaller text and that didn't seem to help. I will take your advice for the next couple of days and experiment with going further away from the screen or closer. I can't move the monitor any further away, but I can move my chair back.

Maybe it's just too soon to make a judgement? I think I'll go now and put some Refresh eye drops in, my eyes seem to be getting strained, but I'll force myself to keep the new glasses on for the rest of the day, and hope for a better tomorrow. 👓

I have an appointment set up for an eye exam soon, so I'm going to mention this to the doctor. It doesn't hurt or really impair my vision, but I noticed for a couple of months now a tiny spot in the vision of my left eye, looks like it might be brown....not sure. It's like if a tiny gnat was on the wall, but it's in the vision.

If I look up, it moves up, down, moves down, etc. I used an eyewash cup and rinsed it well, at first I thought it was a foreign object, like dirt or dust. It didn't go away.

Does anyone here have a spot like this in their vision? If so, have you found out what it is, a harmless 'floater' or something more serious due to again eyes? Did the doctor do anything for it?
I pray all is well SeaBreeze. It does not sound too serious. Keep us posted.
🙏

If you have any stairs, then take extra caution, until you are totally used to the new glasses.
I'd been told that was something to be careful for, when someone is adjusting to progressives.

Thank you Kaila, I did go up and down the stairs this evening doing laundry in the basement, it wasn't too bad but I was careful.

It took about 49 hrs for me to get used to my progressives the first time I had them
And every time my prescription changes, there’s an adjustment period.

Give yourself some time. Give your body time to adjust.

Thanks for sharing your experience Ronni, much appreciated. I will give it time.

pray all is well SeaBreeze. It does not sound too serious. Keep us posted.

Thanks Ladybj, I don't think it's serious, just a bit strange today, computer still blurred, haven't spent much time on it. Will update if there's any improvement.

I have a cousin that has macular degeneration from being a welder his eye doctor said. Been a welder for 30 years and is now 60 years old.

Myself I also take shots in my left eye for weeks for Diabetic eye damage.
Sorry to hear about your cousin Robert. I know I've seen welders in the workplace over the years and have always wondered about how their vision was protected. It seemed they provided their own protective eye wear as opposed to the employer providing quality goggles. Sometimes they seemed like they were rushed to do a job and didn't even pull down their goggles until a minute or so into the welding. I remember the welder's arc was extremely bright and dangerous.

I can't imagine how it feels to have to take shots directly into your eye, my heart goes out to you. How long after you were diagnosed with Diabetes did you begin to have serious eye damage?

Sorry to hear about your cousin Robert. I know I've seen welders in the workplace over the years and have always wondered about how their vision was protected. It seemed they provided their own protective eye wear as opposed to the employer providing quality goggles. Sometimes they seemed like they were rushed to do a job and didn't even pull down their goggles until a minute or so into the welding. I remember the welder's arc was extremely bright and dangerous.

I can't imagine how it feels to have to take shots directly into your eye, my heart goes out to you. How long after you were diagnosed with Diabetes did you begin to have serious eye damage?
Have had diabetes since 2003 and shots are in the corner of eye which makes it not painful. But eye doctor does numb the place where needle goes.

Have had diabetes since 2003 and shots are in the corner of eye which makes it not painful. But eye doctor does numb the place where needle goes.
That's good, numbing has to help. Hope the shots help you. What exactly do they do for your eye. Do they help with vision, or pain?

It helps to bring the swelling down behind the eye ball. The shots are 500 dollars each which my health insurance pays.
Sounds very expensive, I'm glad to hear that your insurance helps to pay for them. My last eye exam included a scan to see if there was swelling behind the eye, I assume things were normal as the doctor didn't contact me saying otherwise.

i've never been diagnosed with diabetes, but it is in my immediate family and my glucose numbers were high over the years, but not high enough to be considered pre-diabetes. An old A1C reading was 6.1 if I remember correctly, my last reading for free was 5.6. I still eat sweets, am a bit overweight, but I take supplement to help control blood sugar like Chromium Picolinate and Bitter Melon. Don't know for a fact that they are helping, but the certainly seems they are.

Back