Today is National Sibling Day.

I have a year & 9 days older sister. We were never close from childhood on up, until we started writing letters to eachother quite a few years after our parents' death & her eldest son had Facebooked me a short comment about her health then,... "Just saying..." He didn't go into detail but it scared me into snail mailing her, (she doesn't write via Internet). She was healed of her physical problem after many months of going through occasional agony, thank goodness. Now she & I write about our aches & pains. Haha. And other experiences too. One of our cousins saw that our personalities are quite different.

@Elsie .. it is like any other friendship, and depends on personality. Some clashes, here and there. I'm very close to my younger brother who lives 3,000 miles away, and one half-sister who is 3 yrs. older than me.

Last edited:
I have one younger brother and one younger sister.

I also have one brother who very recently passed and one older half-sister who passed several years ago.

My two brothers and I were very close, and I was very close to my older half-sister.

I have (had) 9 brothers and sisters. The two youngest siblings in our family are dead, the remainder still living. None of us are close. It isn't that we are mad at each other, but that we weren't raised as a close family. We pretty much went our separate ways and occasionally one will call another.

Tony

Sadly, I never had any siblings but my wife and I managed to raise 4 kids who all live within an easy drive and are all very close. I think Tony said it best. A lot (of the closeness) depends on how you were raised.

Who on Earth came up with this one? Sibling day- what will be next?

As a colleague once put it, "my parents had 4 only children". My parents had 3 children and then when mother figured that she was too old to get pregnant, I came along. It was like being an only child. I had nothing more than a tenuous genetic link to my siblings. Current situation... Sister now in her 80's and if it wasn't for covid, she'd be travelling the world. Eldest brother died and I've got no idea about my elder brother.

My sister sends me a Christmas card. That's the sum total of my contact with my siblings and I'm happy with that.

Back