Today..Sat.27...International Marconi Day

My father took me to a store to choose a transistor radio for my 13th birthday. It cost something like $30.00, which was probably quite a lot back then. It was an orange Sony in a brown leather case. I kept it into my 20's .. wish I'd hung onto it. I'd bet it would still work now.

We picked up a wooden table-top radio, in the early 80's, that we listened to short-wave on. Ended up giving it to a friend. I should enquire whether he still has it.

I remember my first transistor radio. My gramma gave one to each of her 15 grandchildren for Christmas in about 1966.

I do currently own a couple radios, and I have one in my car, of course, but I usually just play one of my playlist on YouTube.

Last edited:
My father took me to a store to choose a transistor radio for my 13th birthday. It cost something like $30.00, which was probably quite a lot back then. It was an orange Sony in a brown leather case. I kept it into my 20's .. wish I'd hung onto it. I'd bet it would still work now.

We picked up a wooden table-top radio, in the early 80's, that we listened to short-wave on. Ended up giving it to a friend. I should enquire whether he still has it.
And might be valued at well over $30.

Yes, I still have the ham license that I earned in1959.
Yes I remember my first transistor radio. It was a GE 7 transistor set that I got for Xmas in 1957.
Yes I have at least ten radios of one type or another hanging around.
Do I win a prize?

I have a transistor radio...as a 'back-up'
If 'the power goes out'..to know what's going on.

I turn the radio on 'first thing in the.morning'
and have it on most of the day..
and sometimes..even learn something new😉

There are a lot of decent radios out there now that don't cost much for what you get. I got one of these a year ago after going through a number of reviews on YouTube. Great coverage, sensitivity, selectivity, and sound quality.
radio.jpg

But there are many more out there as well and 2024 models are probably even more refined.

I had one like this, my Granny bought it for my 13th Birthday...

regency_tr1.jpg

There are a lot of decent radios out there now that don't cost much for what you get. I got one of these a year ago after going through a number of reviews on YouTube. Great coverage, sensitivity, selectivity, and sound quality.
View attachment 343066

But there are many more out there as well and 2024 models are probably even more refined.
Good job!👍

Without televisions, we depended on our short-wave radio when we lived in Turkey. We could pull in stations from all over the world and hear news we didn't get on the AFRS station (Armed Forces Radio Service). Most foreign stations also had English-language broadcasts.

AFRS did have some good programming, though.

But nothing beat that first little transistor radio in the leather case with a handle on top that I got in my early teens. That went with me everywhere and it had an earphone jack so I could lay in bed at night and fall asleep to rock-and-roll.

Back