Tomatoes are doing well

When I make a salad to bring to a pot-luck, I still slice them - 3 or 4 slices depending on the tomato's size. I think it's easier for people to eat. I have a horrible vision of someone choking on a whole tomato. Also you don't have to chase a whole round tomatio around the plate trying to stab it with a fork.
Excellent idea!

I make a salad using cherry tomatoes, which I half, then add a little seasoning salt and fresh cracked black pepper to, cubed Asiago cheese, flaked oregano, and serve with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing. So good!

They are grape and cherry tomatoes I got from the store and saved the seeds.
It will be interesting to see if the second-generation plants from the saved seed produce tomatoes that are true to the original variety that you purchased in the store.

If the original tomatoes that you purchased were from hybrid plants the second-generation plants may revert back to one of the plants that were mixed/bred to create the hybrids.

Whatever you get, try to save a few seeds from this year's tomatoes and see what the third generation produces, then the fourth, etc...

I've got to make a decision soon. The tomatoes have pretty much outgrown the tubs. I can't decide where to put them outdoors. No part of my property gets much sun due to thick numerous maple trees and surrounding buildings. The peppers continue to grow slowly.

tomatoes.jpgpeppers.jpg

It will be interesting to see if the second-generation plants from the saved seed produce tomatoes that are true to the original variety that you purchased in the store.

If the original tomatoes that you purchased were from hybrid plants the second-generation plants may revert back to one of the plants that were mixed/bred to create the hybrids.

Whatever you get, try to save a few seeds from this year's tomatoes and see what the third generation produces, then the fourth, etc...

I have 3rd generation cherry tomatoes that are producing well. The original plant was marked "hybrid" and was bought last August. It was a mature plant then with fruit already set. They are growing in pots and seem very happy but need daily watering. I don't see any difference in fruit from original plant.

debodun...don't want to be a know-all, but when you move your young tomato plants to their new home, make sure you plant them deeply, up to the first leaves. This will help them to form strong stems, which can support the weight of the tomatoes.

I've got to make a decision soon. The tomatoes have pretty much outgrown the tubs. I can't decide where to put them outdoors. No part of my property gets much sun due to thick numerous maple trees and surrounding buildings. The peppers continue to grow slowly.

View attachment 109500View attachment 109501
Tomatoes need lots of sun, so just check how we travel by the sun during the day. Use a compass if you aren't able to figure it out. I learned to do this in scouts, so now I don't need a compass anymore.

The soild on my property is difficult to dig (at least for me). Full of roots, then dig down 3 inches and hit hardpan.
You probably have so many roots due to the trees and underground vine growth. Rent a hand tiller from a garden center and till it which will break up those roots.

Back