Too Much Candy: Man Dies From Eating Bags of Black Licorice

Doctors say a Massachusetts construction worker’s love of black licorice wound up costing him his life.
A Massachusetts construction worker’s love of black licorice wound up costing him his life. Eating a bag and a half every day for a few weeks threw his nutrients out of whack and caused the 54-year-old man’s heart to stop, doctors reported Wednesday.

“Even a small amount of licorice you eat can increase your blood pressure a little bit,” said Dr. Neel Butala, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital who described the case in the New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...y-man-dies-from-eating-bags-of-black-licorice

Very sad. I used to like it, especially the Allsorts, (and it had a slightly laxative effect) but haven’t had it at all since I learned that it was bad for blood pressure.

Doctors say a Massachusetts construction worker’s love of black licorice wound up costing him his life.
A Massachusetts construction worker’s love of black licorice wound up costing him his life. Eating a bag and a half every day for a few weeks threw his nutrients out of whack and caused the 54-year-old man’s heart to stop, doctors reported Wednesday.

“Even a small amount of licorice you eat can increase your blood pressure a little bit,” said Dr. Neel Butala, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital who described the case in the New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...y-man-dies-from-eating-bags-of-black-licorice

Oh my goodness. Its a good thing I cant eat sugar anymore. I LOVE LICORICE like this man did. Its an addiction and I dont know why. But I cannot eat it. Im diabetic. Now Im prediabetic. Diet, exercise and some mineral and vitamins supplements.

Yes, I have heard about black licorice causing death. I used to think it was a joke. I also used to really like black jelly beans until I read about this and then I just up and quit.

Now I lay me down to sleep
A bag of candy at my feet
If I die before I wake
I'll know I died of a stomach ache

As for the OP, I have never heard of that before, but I learn something new nearly every day.

Tony

Back