Tried to buy a new car

Aneeda72

Went to car dealership and tried to trade my car in for a new car. Oh, look, I want the blue one. Salesperson, the blue one is sold.

Ok, I’ll take the white one. Salesperson, the white one is sold. Hmm, then why are they on the lot? Salesperson, because we want the lot to look like it has cars for sale and their owners have not yet picked them up. We do have some cars coming in at the end of August. Better put a deposit now if you want one. 😳

Well, what new cars do you have for sale on the lot now? Salesperson-None. 😳. What about your other dealership? Salesperson-NONE. 😮

Salesperson, let me see if I can find you one somewhere in the state. NOPE. 😩. Oh, wait, here is one in Idaho. But it is white. (I did not want a white car, again.). Me, I’ll take it. Salesperson Let me check and see if it sold yet. It’s still available, we can get it down here next week. Ok. It’s 37,000 plus. It’s loaded with all the safety features I want.

A used car, 2019, not loaded costs 31,000. 🥵. Decided to buy new.

Right now, used cars are bringing premium prices on the lots 'cause they can't get new ones yet. Don't ya just love what Covid did to our workforce in any industry? Hey, I can sit on my butt and make more on unemployment than actually working!
It’s not just cars. I work part time for a very large grocery chain and we are still having issues getting a lot of items.

Went to car dealership and tried to trade my car in for a new car. Oh, look, I want the blue one. Salesperson, the blue one is sold.

Ok, I’ll take the white one. Salesperson, the white one is sold. Hmm, then why are they on the lot? Salesperson, because we want the lot to look like it has cars for sale and their owners have not yet picked them up. We do have some cars coming in at the end of August. Better put a deposit now if you want one. 😳

Well, what new cars do you have for sale on the lot now? Salesperson-None. 😳. What about your other dealership? Salesperson-NONE. 😮

Salesperson, let me see if I can find you one somewhere in the state. NOPE. 😩. Oh, wait, here is one in Idaho. But it is white. (I did not want a white car, again.). Me, I’ll take it. Salesperson Let me check and see if it sold yet. It’s still available, we can get it down here next week. Ok. It’s 37,000 plus. It’s loaded with all the safety features I want.

A used car, 2019, not loaded costs 31,000. 🥵. Decided to buy new.
If you're going to spend that much, it would be much smarter to buy a new car with a 3-year warranty than be ripped off on a used car. For WAY LESS than $31,000, you can buy a new Honda, Toyota or Nissan.
My previous car - a new Nissan Altima SL (top of the line model) was $30,000. My sister's new Altima (middle model) was $24,000.00. These are Mid-Size cars; not compacts. Smaller models are even cheaper. Why are you looking at used cars?

If you're going to spend that much, it would be much smarter to buy a new car with a 3-year warranty than be ripped off on a used car. For WAY LESS than $31,000, you can buy a new Honda, Toyota or Nissan.
My previous car - a new Nissan Altima SL (top of the line model) was $30,000. My sister's new Altima (middle model) was $24,000.00. These are Mid-Size cars; not compacts. Smaller models are even cheaper. Why are you looking at used cars?
She did say she decided to buy new. Last sentence on her post. Apparently, she weighed the pros and cons.

I recently bought a used Kia Sedona for $2300. Not a thing wrong with it, it's just not new. But I bought it from a private party; an elderly couple. I got lucky.

Nissan Truck was I think 5 years bumper to bumper- no questions asked. I just ought a new one in May and I found it very hard to get what I wanted until I went to a dealership that was a member of Car Pro USA and he found five!! Shopping online I found nearly all dealerships listed vehicles for sale that were sold! I think they do that just to get you in to the dealership.

Last edited:
It's easy to buy more car than you really need. For a change I bought a base model Subaru Impreza when the 3 previous vehicles were all SUV's. They were bought to be able to carry more cargo if needed but the need hasn't happened in the 3 three years I've owned it.

Well, I am not anymore 😂, getting a new Subaru Forrester fresh off the boat, or train, or truck

Last edited:
It's easy to buy more car than you really need. For a change I bought a base model Subaru Impreza when the 3 previous vehicles were all SUV's. They were bought to be able to carry more cargo if needed but the need hasn't happened in the 3 three years I've owned it.
We are trading in a Subaru Impreza

Now is Not a good time to be buying a vehicle...new OR used. With all the shortages, the dealers have no incentive to offer any "deals". If a person can keep their current car/truck running at a reasonable cost, they may be far better off...financially.
We want a car with a little bit more powerful engine, more safety features, higher carriage, and no recalls.

Nissan Truck was I think 5 years bumper to bumper- no questions asked. I just ought a new on in May and I found it very hard to get what I wanted until I went to a dealership that was a member of Car Pro USA and he found five!! Shopping online I found nearly all dealerships listed vehicles for sale that were sold! I think they do that just to get you in to the dealership.
There were only two new cars on the lot and those were sold waiting for pickup. They had about 10 cars in transit, due at the end of August, and most of those were sold as well.

Yes, my salesperson blamed it on the short supply of chips from china which is true. But as we all know ships are stacked off the coasts with loads waiting for a turn at the docks. Then a lot of cars are shipped by train, then trucked to the dealerships.

The supply chain is quite broken and short on workers as well. Covid has taught us all a lot about how fragile our systems are. It may be a small world, but it’s a fragile world.

Yes, my salesperson blamed it on the short supply of chips from china which is true. But as we all know ships are stacked off the coasts with loads waiting for a turn at the docks. Then a lot of cars are shipped by train, then trucked to the dealerships.

The supply chain is quite broken and short on workers as well. Covid has taught us all a lot about how fragile our systems are. It may be a small world, but it’s a fragile world.
Imagine the chaos if all the computers stopped working,
they did a few years ago when somebody tore up cable
from the sea-bed in the Mediterranean, a lot had lost the
internet, East of Cyprus and the other routes couldn't help.

Mike.

It’s not just cars. I work part time for a very large grocery chain and we are still having issues getting a lot of items.
Used motorcycles are a hot item with premium prices right now. When the dealer driver came to pick mine up for repair, he noted there was a really good market and asked if I wanted to sell mine. As it is, I can't get it repaired due to lack of parts caused by supply chain issues. There were some reports on a motorcycle forum about bikes selling used for more than they cost new. May or may not be true; as some braggadocio can be found among riders.

Covid has, or should have, taught us a lot about stupid politicians and bureaucrats who have no clue about how economies operate and how supply chains affect people.

Last edited:

Back