Trimming Your Own Bangs

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
Over the years, I've trimmed my own bangs. Sometimes they come out great, and sometimes not so much....but I'm not fussy, my hair grows fast so it's never a big issue. I've used various techniques of my own, nothing standardized, nothing particular....just what I feel like at the time.

Sometimes I'll just cut across looking in the mirror to trim them exactly as they are, as this girl in the video discourages. :) Sometimes I hold the up straight up in a horizontal fashion and trim the ends up in the air like that. Sometimes I'll hold them up between my fingers in a vertical way and cut at an angle. Do you cut your bangs at home, any tips?

I usually grab the bang portion of hair and comb it straight up and snip it across, then comb it down in place and snip off the excess wisps of hair. The bangs end up wispy like your pic on #3, and not straight across.

@SeaBreeze I do the twist cut but, I only twist once. Then I clean it up a little. Then I do that other snipping at the ends. When my hair gets long, I just part it in the back and make pigtails and get the bands evened up with how much I wanna take off and even straight across and then try to snip evenly along the hair below the band.

That's exactly how I cut my fringe ( why do Americans call it bangs) ? :D I've been doing it like that for a long time. ..sometimes it doesn't come out great but mostly it's ok until I can get time to go to the salon. My hairdresser can always tell when I've done it tho', and she tells me off.. :LOL:
There are two competing theories: one is that bang is colloquial for short. The other is that it stems from the bangtail (letting a horses tail grow to a certain length and then cutting it straight across).

@SeaBreeze I do the twist cut but, I only twist once. Then I clean it up a little. Then I do that other snipping at the ends. When my hair gets long, I just part it in the back and make pigtails and get the bands evened up with how much I wanna take off and even straight across and then try to snip evenly along the hair below the band.
Thanks for sharing that @MarciKS I was thinking about trying that twist method, nice to know you've used it. :)

What happened, did you take off too much, or did it come out crooked?
Yes. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

oqKYNI1zKyyn-nHr0ALbxMo8auYUxOR3Ac5ktcPFILAULMSUNRl36uXhIFmWNM99b8gPOJCHAr0GiMGHpzksnUD7cZklL2pVcTDiTSKNErMQFio

I cut my own hair using a battery operated gadget called just a trim. I trim my hair every day. Never need a haircut. And it's perfect for cutting bangs as well. I also have an electric shaver with a flip out moustache trimmer that does the same job on eyebrows and bangs. Luckily my bathroom door has a large mirror and I can see the back of my head in the mirror on the wall. So ladies take a look at these gadgets. They are time savers and a lot easier than scissors .

Last week I did the twist trim, twisted one way, cut, then the other way, cut. I took off very little, so it turned out okay. May do it again soon, seems safe to do a little at a time.

Back