True Love anyone?

Uncontrolable

I have never been so fortunate as to have found a "love of my life". I have always been too injured and immature to have the "right" woman to pay attention to me. Now, at 67 and physically challenged I know there will not be such a person for me. While I do believe that anything is possible, I believe my purpose is to help others now. I am sounding like a real downer.

What I would like to hear from people is about their true love. Say what you want except the sex stuff. True love is about spirituality at its best. Make me cry.

I've had a couple but it's been nineteen years since I've dipped my wick in the loving oil but I think about it every day.

I've had a couple but it's been nineteen years since I've dipped my wick in the loving oil but I think about it every day.

What I remember about my ex doesn't come out of the bed room. I comes at dinner when we cooked steaks on a hibachi. Went to movies and functions together. Went to our favorite restaurants and did Sunday breakfast at our other favorite restaurant. Just watching TV. The phenomenon of growing old together.

I've been lucky and have been married to the love of my life for over forty years now, we enjoy all the little things you mention Uncontrolable, like grilling steaks on the BBQ, camping, walks in the outdoors, watching TV, etc. I definitely don't want to make you cry, and don't give up on meeting someone special to share your days with...never say never my friend. :sentimental:

I've been lucky and have been married to the love of my life for over forty years now, we enjoy all the little things you mention Uncontrolable, like grilling steaks on the BBQ, camping, walks in the outdoors, watching TV, etc. I definitely don't want to make you cry, and don't give up on meeting someone special to share your days with...never say never my friend. :sentimental:
Thank you for the nice reply. Perhaps the spiritual connection isn't what I thought it was. I do believe the simplest of things can be the most profound. What I am thinking about is in the lyrics of a song I wrote. Just the first verse:

No matter what the world brings,
Sorrows or hard times.
Even if tomarrow we had to start anew.
I'd take you hand all over.
Walk this road once more.
Cause when I look into your eyes
There's that moment of truth we share.
That moment of truth we share.

When i see those glances from your eyes of loving blue.
I recall the taken chances it took to make us two.
They said we'd never make it.
Against the odds we dared.
But, when I hold you next to me,
There's that moment of truth we share,
That moment of truth we share.

The days keep passing by us like a sleepy summer sky.
Now the kids have grown, gone to wander wide.
Look into my heart. You'll see its full of stars.
Your the dream that's living there
In those moments of Truth we shared
In those moments of Truth we shared.

Sorry it took me so long to get the rest of the words. I had them buried deap under "Things of my past."

Last edited:
I was married to my true love for 38 years and always thought we'd grow old together. Fate and the Grim Reaper had other plans.

I have been with my second love for eight years now. It will never be the same as before, but it works for us. As the song goes, "If you can't be with the one you love, you'd better love the one you're with...."

Well,everybody knows that Mr. Robinson has been my true love since I was 15 years old. In December we will celebrate 50 years of marriage-and the longer it is,the better it gets. We would do it all again in a heartbeat-just wish we could. I was reading the obits in the San Francisco Chronicle this morning and saw a familiar name. He graduated high school in my husband`s and sister`s class. I have known him since I was about 9 as he and my sis were friends. Anyway,he passed away in his sleep Friday in Yosemite,after a day of fishing and laughing with his wife. She was beside him when he passed. My first thoughts were for her,and hoping that they had the kind of true love that we have. I don`t remember (or even know,really) if he married someone from our high school or not. But they had kids and grands so it sounds like they were together for some time. This is the part of life both my husband and I are dreading.

On a happier note,Seabreeze is right! Never say never! My brother lost his wife a year and a half ago and for the first year,he said "Never again." But,now,at almost 80,he has a new lady love and is very,very happy!

My Husband and I just celebrated out 51st anniversary in May 28th. I met him when I was 15 and he was 16.We were with a group of mutual friends. It was love at first sight. He broke up with his girlfriend that day and I broke up with my boyfriend the next day. He told his friends the day after we met that he was going to marry me. He is the love of my life and I love him more and more every minute of everyday. :love_heart:

true love

Never had that true love except for a good friend. We have been really good friends for 30 years and been through a lot together. We talked about what we had then and decided that the friendship was more important. We were both going through a divorce at the time and both felt like if we pursued it we would break up as he was a workaholic which is fine. But I would have expected some family time like at least dinner a few times a week, etc and that was not him. He worked each night until 10:00 and then was too exhausted to have a relationship. We both knew neither of us would change as I would have expected some family time and he could not give it. I still do his accounting for his business. He has been very successful in his business but has no children or family life. We know we care deeply about each other but our goals were different. I yearned for a balance and he could not so that's just how it is. I would do anything for him and he would do the same for me. He drove 5 hours to put in a new a/c/heating system for me. I just asked which bid I should accept when my units failed and he said none and was there the next day to install new units and did not charge me what he should have as I do his books and know what he charges. He said we have always helped each other through the years and always will. I am afraid that we would have divorced if we had married and I value what we have, He calls me a couple of times a week to see if I am okay here in Houston as he could not imagine living here altho the bids I gave him for my system shocked him as to what they are charging here.

Last edited:
My Husband and I just celebrated out 51st anniversary in May 28th. I met him when I was 15 and he was 16.We were with a group of mutual friends. It was love at first sight. He broke up with his girlfriend that day and I broke up with my boyfriend the next day. He told his friends the day after we met that he was going to marry me. He is the love of my life and I love him more and more every minute of everyday. :love_heart:

The wife and I will be together 60 years in September (54 married)..There could never be another!!

Never had that true love except for a good friend. We have been really good friends for 30 years and been through a lot together. We talked about what we had then and decided that the friendship was more important. We were both going through a divorce at the time and both felt like if we pursued it we would break up as he was a workaholic which is fine. But I would have expected some family time like at least dinner a few times a week, etc and that was not him. He worked each night until 10:00 and then was too exhausted to have a relationship. We both knew neither of us would change as I would have expected some family time and he could not give it. I still do his accounting for his business. He has been very successful in his business but has no children or family life. We know we care deeply about each other but our goals were different. I yearned for a balance and he could not so that's just how it is. I would do anything for him and he would do the same for me. He drove 5 hours to put in a new a/c/heating system for me. I just asked which bid I should accept when my units failed and he said none and was there the next day to install new units and did not charge me what he should have as I do his books and know what he charges. He said we have always helped each other through the years and always will. I am afraid that we would have divorced if we had married and I value what we have, He calls me a couple of times a week to see if I am okay here in Houston as he could not imagine living here altho the bids I gave him for my system shocked him as to what they are charging here.

I think you get the 1st award for unrequited Love. I had a friend once who took me with him to see his girl friend. I could tell that she was entirely devoted to him. She appeared to me to be a very lovely, kind and attentive woman, who clearly was desperately in love with him. He disdained her and spoke of her with disrespect. I remember thinking that I would be with her in a hot second. I am not suggesting that your friend disdains you. But. I think, for him Love is not there past friendship.
Thank you for your story. It is a story of the power of love nonetheless.

Well,everybody knows that Mr. Robinson has been my true love since I was 15 years old. In December we will celebrate 50 years of marriage-and the longer it is,the better it gets. We would do it all again in a heartbeat-just wish we could. I was reading the obits in the San Francisco Chronicle this morning and saw a familiar name. He graduated high school in my husband`s and sister`s class. I have known him since I was about 9 as he and my sis were friends. Anyway,he passed away in his sleep Friday in Yosemite,after a day of fishing and laughing with his wife. She was beside him when he passed. My first thoughts were for her,and hoping that they had the kind of true love that we have. I don`t remember (or even know,really) if he married someone from our high school or not. But they had kids and grands so it sounds like they were together for some time. This is the part of life both my husband and I are dreading.

On a happier note,Seabreeze is right! Never say never! My brother lost his wife a year and a half ago and for the first year,he said "Never again." But,now,at almost 80,he has a new lady love and is very,very happy!
i worked in Adult Protective Service for a couple of years. I was called in on a case of a woman who"s husband died. They had been together for many years. This woman was poorly educated and her husband hadn't been able to provide for her. These people had been very much in love. Within a short time she passed away also. This was not the first time I had seen this phenomenon. Soul mates? Now together again in heaven. I say yes to this because I believe in heaven. Thanks for your comment.

I have had one true love, but unfortunately life got in the way (Vietnam, being so young). I have fond memories of our time together, I hope he thinks of me the same after all these years.

I guess not or else I would be married. Maybe as said in a previous post vietnam got in the way and the women I knew then did not want military in their life. not that I never loved!

I have had one true love, but unfortunately life got in the way (Vietnam, being so young). I have fond memories of our time together, I hope he thinks of me the same after all these years.
I hope you were able to find someone. I recently had a girl friend who's husband died. We got together about a year later. She said she would always love her husband. I told her that I could never deny her those feelings. I allowed her to speak of her husband as she felt the need. The thing I know for sure is that we must always be willing to set our love free because they must choose to stay with us. Not be forced to. We separated for other reasons.

What's true love? Am clueless.
How about true affection?
I assume you mean spirituality in thebroadest sense of the word.
I have no idea what that would be like.
I think "true love" is a combination chemistry and the recognition of a kindred spirit, or soul mate, as some people say. Sometimes people grow together in this way and sometimes they find one another in a chance meeting. I believe such people achieve a level of intimacy that is denied to most of us. I know that we cannot search such people out. We must just find one another one day. If you read my statement you know that I have not achieve true love myself. But, I am old enough to make an educated guess. It is like knowing what I have missed because that is where the hole is.

I've been in deep love a number of times, only had it requited twice, and ended up in a relationship one of those two times.

Having another relationship in which I did not share the love on as deep a level as my partner was actually the most problematic of all experiences I've had with romantic love, but, we are now friends and currently live in the same house! We are better off as friends.

I've been married twice and have three great kids. Both times I thought it was to my soul mate in the beginning, but as the years wore on I found out differently. So is there such a thing as one's soul mate? I think so. I think it's maybe one out of a thousand potential mates that you may encounter that you could have that kind of relationship with. There was this one girl in junior high school that I like to think might have been mine. But I blew it by being a jerk so I'll never know for sure. Maybe that's for the best because now at least I have that fantasy, which is all it may in fact be.

Together for 56 years, never apart for more than a day even when I was in the Navy. I am 4 years older than my wife so if the acturial tables are right I will croak before my wife does.

You want to cry ? Try to imagine the loss my wife will experience when I am no longer able to do be at her side enjoying our life together. At her age adjusting to doing everything from managing finances to cooking for one isn't going to be easy.

Back