Trying again... I hate to think that I went down without a fight...

58 male, from the island of Cyprus in East Mediterranean... Within a period of 3 years I found myself surrounded by emptiness. Details are too boring for most, too painful for me. Physically I feel 110. Emotionally...20. I see no meaning in continuing a life without a person to share it with... even from a distance far, far away. What matters is not the physical contact but the dance of two psyches...

Yes... I'm starving for companionship. Not as a measure of my value. Not as a validation of who I am. I'm old enough to know how good or bad I am. But there's that huge vacuum of someone to share with. I read a good book, I listen to a moving song, I watch a good movie and there's nobody to share it with. To feel the joy of enjoying that good feeling together. Sunrises and sunsets are dull without another by one's side going through the same emotions of awe, as one does. Laughter and tears are hollow when one doesn't have another to share them with. The beauty of a flower is not enough when one doesn't have a love to give it to. Even as a picture...

I know this is not a dating site... Dating sites are worthless by definition... Especially for the old...

Not much of an introduction. I beg for your forgiveness. Depression is censoring my messages....

Hello, I agree that sharing is very important. After my wife passed away, I did some traveling alone. It was just not the same.
On my last solo trip, which was to Scotland, Wales, London and Paris, I wrote the following:
Well so ends a very exciting trip, but at this point my life is at a crossroads. I have no idea when my next trip is or
where it will be to. Time will tell. Then....
When I came back from my last trip in October, I said I had no idea where I would be going next, but I did not want
to be traveling alone again. Well, life is funny that way, because I met a wonderful lady, I enjoy sharing her experiences in our travels, to see them in a new perspective and sense of history

This suggestion may seem silly but, consider it.

Do you have any pets? If not get a dog or?
Your never alone, you have a responsibility for its care, and if having a bad day, tell your pet all about it. Mad at someone or some situation, tell your pet about it.
Watching a movie with your pet smuggled by you is less lonesome.

Welcome and I am sorry you don't have anyone to share your life with. I feel the same way sometimes and I don't think I will have that companionship again. But I am a lot older and know that my time is running out and its okay as I have made my peace with it.

But as someone else said tell us about your life on the island as its a place most of us can never visit.

Welcome to the forum CAKcy. Participating on social media sites does help combat loneliness so hopefully you'll stay with us. Many people have found themselves feeling isolated and lonely for one reason or another...especially the past 14 months or so. So we've had to find ways to entertain ourselves, find meaning in life outside of normal daily activities we used to participate in. So right...don't go down without a fight. Wander around here and find the funny, interesting, beautiful, crazy, informative posts and people on Senior Forum.

Welcome (Colorful).jpg

Last edited:
58 male, from the island of Cyprus in East Mediterranean... Within a period of 3 years I found myself surrounded by emptiness. Details are too boring for most, too painful for me. Physically I feel 110. Emotionally...20. I see no meaning in continuing a life without a person to share it with... even from a distance far, far away. What matters is not the physical contact but the dance of two psyches...

Yes... I'm starving for companionship. Not as a measure of my value. Not as a validation of who I am. I'm old enough to know how good or bad I am. But there's that huge vacuum of someone to share with. I read a good book, I listen to a moving song, I watch a good movie and there's nobody to share it with. To feel the joy of enjoying that good feeling together. Sunrises and sunsets are dull without another by one's side going through the same emotions of awe, as one does. Laughter and tears are hollow when one doesn't have another to share them with. The beauty of a flower is not enough when one doesn't have a love to give it to. Even as a picture...

I know this is not a dating site... Dating sites are worthless by definition... Especially for the old...

Not much of an introduction. I beg for your forgiveness. Depression is censoring my messages....
You are too young to live with such despair.
Don't wait for a companion to discover you. Go out and find that person.
Believe me, they're out there looking, and waiting, for you to show up!

Hello, I agree that sharing is very important. After my wife passed away, I did some traveling alone. It was just not the same.
On my last solo trip, which was to Scotland, Wales, London and Paris, I wrote the following:
Well so ends a very exciting trip, but at this point my life is at a crossroads. I have no idea when my next trip is or
where it will be to. Time will tell. Then....
When I came back from my last trip in October, I said I had no idea where I would be going next, but I did not want
to be traveling alone again. Well, life is funny that way, because I met a wonderful lady, I enjoy sharing her experiences in our travels, to see them in a new perspective and sense of history

No, it wasn't the same. One feels excited about this or that and one has nobody to share it with. That crashes me every time. You have been very lucky to have met a new companion and continue your life with her!

Thank you so much for your reply and the hope(?) that maybe my life is not going to end up in loneliness...

welcome ...
welcome-from-london.jpg

and how lovely to have someone from Cyprus , a place I've visited many times and loved ( except for all the cats) . Paphos . Nicosia, Larnaca, Protaras... Paralimini...., I've driven so many places and stayed in so many different towns and villages in Cyprus... haven't been for some years now.. I hear there's lots of expat enclaves now...

Last edited:
Just wandering in to say 'welcome aboard' - come back and share the island of Cyprus with us.

post and participate - you'll make lots of new friends...

Thank you for your welcoming! The island of Cyprus... beautiful, birthplace of Aphrodite, sunny 10 months a year, unbearably hot in the summer.

I'm looking forward to making lots of new friends. I really need some now...

This suggestion may seem silly but, consider it.

Do you have any pets? If not get a dog or?
Your never alone, you have a responsibility for its care, and if having a bad day, tell your pet all about it. Mad at someone or some situation, tell your pet about it.
Watching a movie with your pet smuggled by you is less lonesome.

It's not your fault but you have brought tears... On January 30, 2020 I lost my dog (my wife's and my dog, I should say) a beautiful border collie named Lucy. She was 15. We've never left her alone at home except when I had to be in the hospital. I still carry with me her leash wherever I go. I still fill her food bowl and change her water....

Many have suggested that I should get a new dog. I can't. For one thing, it would feel to be me like betraying Lucy. For another thing, a pet is like a child. One cannot get a pet without being sure that one will take care of it forever. My physical condition is not very promising...

Thank you for your suggestion, which btw, I don't think it was silly...

Welcome and I am sorry you don't have anyone to share your life with. I feel the same way sometimes and I don't think I will have that companionship again. But I am a lot older and know that my time is running out and its okay as I have made my peace with it.

But as someone else said tell us about your life on the island as its a place most of us can never visit.

Thank you for your welcome and your words of sympathy. I'm not sure who your support group is (irl friends, relatives etc.). I, being an introvert and generally unsocial, don't have but very few around me who I managed to push away with my depression.

I'm kind of running out of time myself, since my physical condition is not that of a person my age. But I always felt that companionship is as precious as oxygen for me.

I still carry with me her leash wherever I go. I still fill her food bowl and change her water....
Good grief man! You're torturing yourself. You should not be doing that--the food and water part I mean. Carrying the leash is not as bad. I beg you to wean yourself from the food and water bit.

I'm assuming you've been widowed. Condolences. I lost my partner too. I understand everything you said about the loneliness and not having someone to share with. That moved me very much. Most of us will understand you here. You came to the right place.

Hi CAKCYwelcome,thankyou for sharing about your life,glad you found us
You'll meet wonderful group of members from around the world here at SF
We aren't related but the many members who come here on a daily/regular basis are like 'family'. We listen/share/give advice on any topic,hopefully boost someone's spirits if they are having a bad day
I hope you stay with us
Sue in Buffalo,NY

Welcome to the forum CAKcy. Participating on social media sites does help combat loneliness so hopefully you'll stay with us. Many people have found themselves feeling isolated and lonely for one reason or another...especially the past 14 months or so. So we've had to find ways to entertain ourselves, find meaning in life outside of normal daily activities we used to participate in. So right...don't go down without a fight. Wander around here and find the funny, interesting, beautiful, crazy, informative posts and people on Senior Forum.

View attachment 176119

Thank you for your welcome! Yes, it does help combatting loneliness and I hope the community here is open enough to let me stay. The communities of other forums where I registered were very closed-circuit ones and a newbie had a hard time surviving with all their inside jokes and exchanges.

Being an introvert I spent a good part of my life online and I know the value of social media sites. I will follow your ... "instructions" and I hope I'll contribute my share to the forum and its community!

You are too young to live with such despair.
Don't wait for a companion to discover you. Go out and find that person.
Believe me, they're out there looking, and waiting, for you to show up!

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Unfortunately my biological age and my physical condition don't much. But in any case I'll do the exploring you suggest. If they are out there looking, as you say, I hope they won't pass me by. (If they are not... can I sue you?? :p)

Back