Trying to motivate myself to exercise

Mr. Ed

Life does not deserve my gratitude.
I suppose the best course of action is to create an exercise schedule. The truth of the matter is I am tired or so I think I am or some days I am too busy to exercise, or so I think I am. I’m interested in losing weight for obvious health reasons but for now I am thinking what’s the use.

A possible reason for this conundrum is seasonal depression that comes like clockwork entering into fall with cooler temperatures and limited daylight sunshine. This will pass as it always does, however, until that time comes I must busy myself in physical activity and positive thinking.

I understand your position. Seasonal affective disorder affects me every year.. Scheduling your daily program is key but doing something you actually like helps. Going for a walk is an easy exercise thats enjoyable. Taking pictures along the way can give you another reason to walk if you need one. You can gradually increase your walk.

I love to walk, however, a childhood foot injury prevents me from walking any distance. That’s why I swim laps at the YMCA, I understand the exercise machines are now available to members. As far as foot injury when I was getting acupuncture regularly I had less foot pain. Eventually I’ll return to acupuncture, however it is not convenient at this time.

Goodluck Mr. Ed ... Swimming laps is wonderful exercise. I used to do that daily until I dislodged my left shoulder, and I never fully recovered full motion in that arm. So walking became my go-to exercise.
We all have to do what we can I guess.

Weight loss is 90% what you don't eat, exercise is beneficial but not the main component of weight control. Portion control, that's what a nurse at work used to tell me, I finally listened. :) A foot injury would certainly be a deal-breaker for walking, I use an elliptical both at home and at the fitness center, very low impact on joints, still gives good movement benefits. Exercise is an effective mood elevator in general, that and sunlight.
Good luck, you will feel better after shedding the extra pounds. I took off 120 lb.s, am 68 but feel so much healthier than when I was 48.

When I began losing weight due to Type II, I was specifically told by my dietician:

"Give me 150 minutes of exercise per week, and eat no more than 200 carbs per day, and you will lose 1 to 1-1/2 pounds per week."

She was dead on. I do 210 minutes per week and have averaged a little over 1.6 lbs. over the last 8 months.

150 minutes is only 20 minutes per day. Or, do 30 minutes for 5 days and take a couple off.

I started with an exercise bike with upper body cranks and plopped myself in front of the TV for 1/2 hour every night. I found that if I find a good series on Netflix I can't wait to get back on the bike to watch the next episode. Once the weather changed, I moved to a real bike outdoors, and added a rower about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Don't kid yourself about exercise not being important. Read this article for motivation and some facts. You'll probably need to scroll down.

https://www.seniorfitness.com/exercise/

Edited to add: It can be a struggle to follow through. I still have to convince myself on many nights that I need to, I'm not too tired, etc. It only takes a couple of minutes after you start and the feeling goes away.

Last edited:
I've gotten a big gut in the past few months -- mainly due to overeating. Sometimes, my wife's cooking tastes so good, I just can't stop myself! :)

Overeating is also kind of a painkiller during these dark times, and I'm not just talking about the pandemic.

So I've been thinking about exercising... maybe just jogging in place for 20 minutes or so to burn off some calories.

I walk. I try to walk 10,000 to 15,000 steps a day when I am able and there are fewer days that I am not able. I have a very sore foot, due to arthritis, so I am walking throughout the day not all at once. This is the only exercise I can do because of various health issues.

But I don’t lose weight due to walking. It is very hard for someone on prednisone to lose weight. Smaller portions are the only way, 😂, very small portions. I eat between 1800 to 2000 calories a day. I do the walking almost everyday. I wear a fitbit so I know I walk 4-6 miles a day.

I am hungry all the time. I don’t lose weight. So frustrating. I am on low carbs right now trying to control my blood sugar and bring down a high A1C. It is so discouraging. I wish I could help you @Mr. Ed. My only suggestion is just keep trying. I just keep trying. 😍

I walk. I try to walk 10,000 to 15,000 steps a day when I am able and there are fewer days that I am not able. I have a very sore foot, due to arthritis, so I am walking throughout the day not all at once. This is the only exercise I can do because of various health issues.

But I don’t lose weight due to walking. It is very hard for someone on prednisone to lose weight. Smaller portions are the only way, 😂, very small portions. I eat between 1800 to 2000 calories a day. I do the walking almost everyday. I wear a fitbit so I know I walk 4-6 miles a day.

I am hungry all the time. I don’t lose weight. So frustrating. I am on low carbs right now trying to control my blood sugar and bring down a high A1C. It is so discouraging. I wish I could help you @Mr. Ed. My only suggestion is just keep trying. I just keep trying. 😍
If you have the wherewithal, buy a rowing machine. You will lose weight, it's cardio, uses 83% of your muscles, and is low impact. You don't have to spend $1000 to get one that will work. I found a used one on CL for $80, works just fine. I would stay away from hydraulic models and look for magnetic resistance or air. I find it to be a lot of fun, it's become my go-to, even outpacing my real ride-around-outside bike, at least for the moment.

If you have the wherewithal, buy a rowing machine. You will lose weight, it's cardio, uses 83% of your muscles, and is low impact. You don't have to spend $1000 to get one that will work. I found a used one on CL for $80, works just fine. I would stay away from hydraulic models and look for magnetic resistance or air. I find it to be a lot of fun, it's become my go-to, even outpacing my real ride-around-outside bike, at least for the moment.
Nope, torn rotator cuff, torn,hmm, forgot the word, thing in my hip, need a hip replacement. Walk, I can walk.

I suppose the best course of action is to create an exercise schedule. The truth of the matter is I am tired or so I think I am or some days I am too busy to exercise, or so I think I am. I’m interested in losing weight for obvious health reasons but for now I am thinking what’s the use.

You can have a funeral where those that show up will say. He looks great I don't understand why he died.

Or a funeral where those that show up will say. I'm amazed he fits in that casket.

It's all about ego, since you won't be alive to hear comments what do you prefer?

My husband reserves approx. 25 minutes each morning to do 300 pushups, and an additional 25 more minutes to do stomach exercises.

He says not only does it keep him strong and fit, he says it releases endorphins into his system giving him more energy and a feeling of well-being.

Dear husband and I have also started walking again in the evenings. We go for a 30 minute power-walk.

Sedentary lifestyles kill, stay active.

My husband reserves approx. 25 minutes each morning to do 300 pushups, and an additional 25 more minutes to do stomach exercises.

He says not only does it keep him strong and fit, he says it releases endorphins into his system giving him more energy and a feeling of well-being.

Dear husband and I have also started walking again in the evenings. We go for a 30 minute power-walk.

So many doctors question balance & falling as part of annual visit as you age. The 300 pushups & 25 min of stomach exercises are terrific for core strength which helps for great balance. That kind of core strength helped me recover from complete cervical spine rebuild.

So many doctors question balance & falling as part of annual visit as you age. The 300 pushups & 25 min of stomach exercises are terrific for core strength which helps for great balance. That kind of core strength helped me recover from complete cervical spine rebuild.
My husband started many years ago as a result of lower back pain, and to this day he hasn't suffered another bout.

Glad to know your workout program helped in your good health and recovery.

I tell people, even if you reserve 10 minutes each morning to do a few crunches and a couple dozen pushups. It all goes to the good.

Billy Blank's Tae Bo is a nice full body workout routine. I don't follow it exactly. If I did, I'd never get anywhere. I just do what I can. Punches and kicks are good for strength, balance and to relieve aggression which I have a lot of lately. Grrr.

@Mr. Ed Have you got room for an exercise bike that you can set up and perhaps watch a programme on T.V that will distract you, or perhaps go walking where there are 'things' to look at as you are walking i.e not just concrete buildings? The reason I write this is because exercise can be 'boring' and often it can be done more easily if we are not focusing on the exercise per se but other 'things' and I also find the time goes much more quickly than we think. Not sure if that makes sense. I believe @I'mnotdeadyet has expressed, in part, a similar view. Don't give up. 🤗

It would be great if you shared your experience with other seniors on my website.

@Mr. Ed

start with basics, walking. that is how I am finally making it happen. keep it simple, don't make it complicated (talking to myself here too). try to make it fun, something you enjoy doing and you will likely stick with it. start small and build up from there over time. I battle the seasonal depression also which makes things difficult... if I can make it happen anyone can. :)

start with 10 minutes a day if that is all you can do and go from there.

this video helped me, I do what I can and skip the exercises that are too hard or I don't like.... and I choose how long to do each one. But if the video is too much, just do the walking for now.

Last edited:

A possible reason for this conundrum is seasonal depression that comes like clockwork entering into fall with cooler temperatures and limited daylight sunshine. This will pass as it always does, however, until that time comes I must busy myself in physical activity and positive thinking.
The motivation I find, is the jeans get tight again, plus the scale is creeping up on gained pounds (10). Time to get back to exercising and eating better.

Wow, your husband is "nailin' it" big-time. I would love to do that very same regimen, but my osteoarthritis in shoulders just won't allow it. Endorphin release from exercise is for real. "Sedentary lifestyles kill" is sooo very true.

I do get 150 minutes-a-day x 4 days a week doing cardio and aerobics, plus Yoga and Taichi. I get 45 minutes 7 days a week on my elliptical or treadmill.

Wow, your husband is "nailin' it" big-time. I would love to do that very same regimen, but my osteoarthritis in shoulders just won't allow it. Endorphin release from exercise is for real. "Sedentary lifestyles kill" is sooo very true.

I do get 150 minutes-a-day x 4 days a week doing cardio and aerobics, plus Yoga and Taichi. I get 45 minutes 7 days a week on my elliptical or treadmill.
Good on you, Nathan!

As far as I'm concerned every little bit goes to the good of ones mental and physical well-being.

Back