Turmeric - The Spice of Life

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
I've been supplementing with Turmeric for a long time now, just as a preventative for inflammation and other conditions.

Actually, healers in India probably aren’t surprised. In that country, turmeric—known there as haldi—is a household remedy for cuts and coughs, is used in traditional medicine to reduce inflammation and ease digestive problems, and is treasured as a skin beautifier.

For their part, Western researchers have found that turmeric can help fight a number of diseases, most notably cancer.

Inflammation has been linked to a number of disorders, which helps explain why curcumin has shown a healing touch for so many different conditions. Take arthritis for example; arthritic rats given a turmeric extract showed less joint inflammation and cartilage destruction.

One of curcumin’s most promising usages lies in its seeming ability to protect the brain. In one study, healthy older Asians who ate the most curry ran the smallest risk of mental decline.

This helps explain why some scientists think that curcumin may help protect against Alzheimer’s disease.

Curcumin’s traditional role in digestive relief has also been demonstrated in studies. In addition to killing H. pylori, the germ that fosters stomach ulcer formation, curcumin has helped keep ulcerative colitis in remission and fought giardia, a main culprit in intestinal infections worldwide.

Topical curcumin has even repelled mosquitoes and black flies.

Curcumin: It can really spice up your supplement regimen.

https://energytimes.com/the-spice-of-life/

I tried a high quality brand for three months and got no pain relief, but fibromyalgia is pretty much resistant to most pain relievers natural or otherwise. Not even narcotics touch it. I'm considering a trip to Colorado to see if pain specific marijuana strains will help.

I tried a high quality brand for three months and got no pain relief, but fibromyalgia is pretty much resistant to most pain relievers natural or otherwise. Not even narcotics touch it. I'm considering a trip to Colorado to see if pain specific marijuana strains will help.
I think CBD oil is probably legal where you live, and I've read that some who suffer from fibromyalgia have found some relief with it, but medical marijuana would be much better if you could access it legally.

Years ago my older friend suffered with fibro, and I gave her a large bottle of Source Naturals Magnesium Malate to try. She did use the whole bottle and said it helped her a lot.

She did have other health problems though, and was put on various prescription drugs by her doctor, plus she couldn't afford to buy the supplement also, but I would have bought more for her if her health issues weren't so complicated. She said she had enough trouble taking all the pills the doctors were giving her.

Here's a link to the brand I bought, and another link to an article of interest.

https://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1204
http://nationalpainreport.com/5-things-that-have-reduced-my-fibromyalgia-symptoms-8830238.html

Ty @SeaBreeze! I do take magnesium in several forms including glycinate which has excellent bioavailability. I use topical magnesium as well. Have also tried several well-researched CBD oil brands. Have pretty much tried everything legal that isn't a contraindication with a couple of my finicky RXs.

I slipped on a wet camper step last December and broke the head of my left humerus completely off. Other than the first hour or so post break and the first few therapy sessions, it was not as painful as fibromyalgia!

Last edited:
I do take magnesium in several forms including glycinate which has excellent bioavailability. I use topical magnesium as well. Have also tried several well-researched CBD oil brands. Have pretty much tried everything legal that isn't a contraindication with a couple of my finicky RXs.

I slipped on a wet camper step last December and broke the head of my left humerus completely off. Other than the first hour or so post break and the first few therapy sessions, it was not as painful as fibromyalgia!
I think it's that Malic Acid in that particular form that helps with Fibro. I use Mag Citrate daily and topical mag oil for cramps, pains. I feel for you, from all I've heard about fibromyalgia, it sounds like it's very painful and uncomfortable to live with. Good luck in finding something that will bring you some relief. 💙

Sorry I derailed the thread! One of the most medically interesting facts about turmeric is that cultures that use it extensively in cooking have lower Alzheimers rates.
This is true. There was a research study done at a famous university on turmeric. The study divided the group into three:

1/. Conventional medicine
2/. Placebo Effect - tricking the patient into believing they are taking medication
3/. Turmeric

Turmeric won hands down over placebo and conventional. It was a very interesting article about the findings on it.

East Indians eat a lot of this in curry dishes and such and there incidence of Alzheimer’s is far lower

Turmeric is very good for most things, I find though
some people say that you cannot get the full benefit
from the culinary powder, but they might be the ones
who sell the tablets of it.

I add it to most dishes that I cook, you don't notice it
in some, but it is always there.

Mike.

I don't use turmeric as a supplement but I do use it in cooking.

If I need a vegetable stock with a little body I use a version of the Golden Broth recipe found in an old copy of "Laurel's Kitchen" by Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders, and Bronwen Godfrey.

1 medium onion roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic chopped
1T oil
1/4 cup yellow or green split peas
1/4 t turmeric
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 T apple cider vinegar
S&P to taste.
1 quart water

Slowly saute the chopped onion and garlic in oil until it begins to take on color, add the split peas, spices, and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the peas are tender, puree in the blender until smooth.

I usually make a double batch and freeze it in two-cup containers.

Turmeric is very good for most things, I find though
some people say that you cannot get the full benefit
from the culinary powder, but they might be the ones
who sell the tablets of it.

I add it to most dishes that I cook, you don't notice it
in some, but it is always there.

Mike.

It's fat soluble so including fat in the meal is important. Piperine--a compound found in black pepper--also increases absorption as do quercetian rich foods.

Four tips to increase turmeric absorption

Quercetin rich foods

I don't use turmeric as a supplement but I do use it in cooking.

If I need a vegetable stock with a little body I use a version of the Golden Broth recipe found in an old copy of "Laurel's Kitchen" by Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders, and Bronwen Godfrey.

1 medium onion roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic chopped
1T oil
1/4 cup yellow or green split peas
1/4 t turmeric
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 T apple cider vinegar
S&P to taste.
1 quart water

Slowly saute the chopped onion and garlic in oil until it begins to take on color, add the split peas, spices, and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the peas are tender, puree in the blender until smooth.

I usually make a double batch and freeze it in two-cup containers.

I keep meaning to find recipes with turmeric and never get around to it. I'll try this recipe. When making broth I usually use Knorr's Vegetable boullion. I did google turmeric, though, and it said too much use can cause kidney stones.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too much turmeric, though, may increase the risk of kidney stones. As I mentioned in Oxalates in Cinnamon, turmeric is high in soluble oxalates which can bind to calcium and form insoluble calcium oxalate, which is responsible for approximately 75% of all kidney stones.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I USED to have a softcover book of "Laurel's Kitchen", she had a recipe for the BEST minestrone I have ever tasted. Then the book went missing and I looked everywhere, I think I must have lent it to someone and completely forgot about it. If I can't find the recipe online, can I bother you to send me the recipe? You don't even have to write it out, just take a photo of it and post it here. I'll check online this morning and let you know.

Back