Turning American's into snowflake's.... both physically and mentally

Pete

….on the way back to my place from the hospital this past weekend my son and I were talking about the car I saw on a television commercial where the driver lets his vehicle drift out of his lane and the car autonomously steers the car back into the lane. I am sure everyone has seen that one or the one where the car does an emergency stop by itself when it detects a possible collision in front of it.

Now I am not saying the entire population of the United States is equivalent to the 'Stay Puff Boy' but even if 30% are working out or in shape the advancement in technology is taking away the necessity to do more and more things that we did in the course of our normal day just a few years ago.

Think I am wrong about this? I am sure not many remember that just a few years ago every home had a land line telephone and when we were out in our vehicles and needed to make a call we stopped and used a 'pay phone' to make those calls, because the cell phone hadn't been born yet. Imagine having to get up out of our chair and walkover to wherever that phone was in our home and on the road we had to get out of our vehicles and 'walk' to the pay phone. Your saying not much of a workout but over the course of our lifetime that's a lot of calories burned.

Now that may not make us fat fast but every calorie not burned is just more weight we are gaining, but if your not concerned about getting soft and fat how about exiling yourself and becoming a loner. The advent of the cell phone shortly brought us the luxury of text messaging and what started out as a novelty is now a solidly intrenched ( addiction ).

Look around on any street, shopping mall or airport and you will see hundreds walking with their heads down, ( bowed almost is some form of prayer ), texting. Just like the computer keyboard has made some unable to physically write a letter or memo to communicate, the act of texting has put this impersonal wall around all our communications and we have lost our personal connection with each other.

So as we sit in our car

hands and mind

oblivious to the highway around us

we can ponder what technological wonder

will come along next

to free us from the burden

of experiencing

our lives.​

The double edged sword of modern technology.
We wanted convenience. We got it but has modern technology surpassed our moral compass?
Soon artificial intelligence will take over.
You think it’s bad now.
Imagine not being the only one using your mind, eyes and ears ?

A lot of this makes me feel that some people will see all this as sort of permission to not pay full attention while driving. Kind of scary. My car has a back up camera, which I find very useful. But I also remember to use my eyes to look at my surrounding and not just rely on the camera. I was going somewhere with a friend, and he asked if he could drive my car (It is electric, and he wanted to see what it was like).
All went well until we got back to my house and he was backing into my driveway. He relied entirely on the camera, and almost hit my trash can, which was slightly out of the view of the camera. I had to speak up fast.

Brave New World, now. Maybe things were better, to an extent, "back then.". It doesn't matter. "Please get out of the new one, if you can't lend a hand, Cuz the times they are a-changin'" Change is inevitable, not always for the better, but inevitable, nonetheless.

Robots will rule the world, in the next millennium, maybe sooner, so our species probably will have passed into extinction. Seeing what a mess we've made of our time on this planet, I say, "So be it!"

Barring the collapse of civilization, which is a possibility, AI is coming whether we like it or not. The fact that there is money to be made insures it. It will bring both good things and bad things. People will adapt as they always have.

Don

txting has caused some awful crashes while driving - not sure about the states but uk. is bad for it ' we do get fined and points on our licence
but if its crash situation its prison end of .

If it freaking bothers you so much Trade, skip the damn thread. Jesus, what a grump....

What bothers me is to see old people bashing the younger generation. I think younger people are for the most part doing just fine.

I appreciate younger people. They are the ones out there doing the work that allows me to live a life of leisure. I'm retired , I don't produce a damn thing for society. All of the goods and services I enjoy are provided by the labor of younger people. Plus a good chunk of my income which I use to pay for those goods and services comes from the Social Security Taxes they pay. So I for one, am damn thankful for those "snowflakes" as you call them.

Last edited:
What bothers me is to see old people bashing the younger generation. I think younger people are for the most part doing just fine.

I appreciate younger people. They are the ones out there doing the work that allows me to live a life of leisure. I'm retired , I don't produce a damn thing for society. All of the goods and services I enjoy are provided by the labor of younger people. Plus a good chunk of my income which I use to pay for those goods and services comes from the Social Security Taxes they pay. So I for one, am damn thankful for those "snowflakes" as you call them.
I had to re-read the thread to see the "young people bashing" you refer to. It doesn't appear to be here since this thread is about advances in technology. (FYI..."snowflake" doesn't have an age association.)

Back