U.S. 'active shooter' incidents reach highest level in 20 years: FBI

My grandson, who became a city cop last year, had his first homicide the other night. It was not a shooting, but a stabbing. A 35 year old man killed his 25 year old girlfriend and unborn child. The perp has since gone on the run. My grandson said when he entered the house, gun drawn, all he saw was blood from the porch, up the steps to the bedroom where the deceased was laying. Her head was almost decapitated.

I asked him if he was sick, but he said no, because he saw worse in Afghanistan where a soldier just 5 feet away had his leg all but blown off. He said it scared the crap out of him because they had just switched positions less than a minute earlier, or it would have been him.

U.S. 'active shooter' incidents reach highest level in 20 years: FBI
This is awful, any violence is... The numbers are way too high, zero would be ideal.

However I think it may be hard to be sure the increase is real, as opposed to just a different accounting and tracking the events. To quote from the article "The FBI noted that its active shooter report does not encompass all gun violence or even all mass shootings.". A better statistic is the total murder rate, which is down over the last 20 years. Still way too high but down.

I am a strong supporter of doing whatever it takes to bring the murder and active shooter rates down. The drop over the last 20 years is good news, but not nearly enough. However I am concerned when possibly misleading statistics are published. It just creates confusion and can provide fodder to anyone fighting change.

My grandson, who became a city cop last year, had his first homicide the other night. It was not a shooting, but a stabbing. A 35 year old man killed his 25 year old girlfriend and unborn child. The perp has since gone on the run. My grandson said when he entered the house, gun drawn, all he saw was blood from the porch, up the steps to the bedroom where the deceased was laying. Her head was almost decapitated.

I asked him if he was sick, but he said no, because he saw worse in Afghanistan where a soldier just 5 feet away had his leg all but blown off. He said it scared the crap out of him because they had just switched positions less than a minute earlier, or it would have been him.

I have PTSD. Violent crime victim. Not military or police related.

Personally, I think anyone who goes through incidents like that, should really take some time out and have a few therapy sessions.

PTSD is really a misfiring in the brain. Has nothing to do with willpower or toughness or any of that.

Someday, they are probably going to discover there are tones of sounds, in some order, that kind of brainwash the brain into PTSD or something like that. I think a lot of these incidents include extreme volumes and such. When I was taken (kidnapped), I heard car backfire in the distance. I sort of kept hearing that noise for 8 years after.

I am not saying that is happening. But I think something like that is happening. And they haven't figure it out yet. So, if an incident produces the right volume, the right sounds in succession...I think the human brain just can't process it and it somehow short circuits the brain or something?

Anyway, you do a few sessions, you tone up the brain wires with some work...you are good to go.

Lot of guys with PTSD wind up, really having problems, beating up their wives and kids. Worth just taking out a few hours to prevent a bad outcome...

I was very, very fortunate when I came home from Vietnam. I was able to leave it all back there. You could count the number of nightmares that I have had with both hands.

Back