U.S. Navy LTV A-7 Corsair

Thanks guy & goil. I know the first video is of the venerable F-8 but I had to include it in here because it is totally off the reservation.

LTV the aircraft company that built the various models of the F-8 has been sleeping with the Navy for decades.
The navy does not want to use the same planes as the air force, LTV is their step-child.
LTV keeps the navy happy and the navy gives them money to build navy planes

LTV the aircraft company that built the various models of the F-8 has been sleeping with the Navy for decades.
The navy does not want to use the same planes as the air force, LTV is their step-child.
LTV keeps the navy happy and the navy gives them money to build navy planes

It's probably all about the money, lol.

I saw one of these planes years ago at the Naval Air Station on the Patuxent River. Same place that I saw my first Harrier. I think this plane was noted for its speed and easy to maintain. The F/A-18 replaced it. I don't know much else about this plane.

My dad was a Navy man, not an aviator though. My favorite jets were the AV/8B, the A7, the F8 and The "pre Rhino" F/A-18. Have some Army and Air Force favorites but tha story is for another time. Take care.

I worked in the Navy on the engines of those F8s it was the J57 model if I remember correctly. I was stationed on the USS Hancock from arround October 1972 till December 1974. I was a seventh fleet blue water sailor floating up and down the Vietnam coast. It is scary out at sea when the water is more that waist deep. Ha-ha-ha
In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy
Come on now, people, make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
Can't you see we need a hand
In the navy
Come on, protect the mother land
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people, and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

I remember reading about the original Corsairs during WWII. The planes we had at the start of WWII with Japan were heavy, slow and had very little armament. The U.S. pilots suffered many loses flying these archaic planes.

A few years later, in come the Corsairs. The Corsair at that time was fast, maneuverable, and carried several types of armaments including, missiles (rockets), bombs and 2 Browning machine guns in each wing. Some also had a cannon. The plane was saud to fly at 400 mph. It became a very famous plane that was credited with taking apart the Japanese Army Air Force. Both Navy and Marine pilots flew these planes.

It can be seen in the Navy’s National Museum. If I’m not mistaken, I saw one of these years ago at an air show. It was privately owned.

I remember reading about the original Corsairs during WWII. The planes we had at the start of WWII with Japan were heavy, slow and had very little armament. The U.S. pilots suffered many loses flying these archaic planes.

A few years later, in come the Corsairs. The Corsair at that time was fast, maneuverable, and carried several types of armaments including, missiles (rockets), bombs and 2 Browning machine guns in each wing. Some also had a cannon. The plane was saud to fly at 400 mph. It became a very famous plane that was credited with taking apart the Japanese Army Air Force. Both Navy and Marine pilots flew these planes.

It can be seen in the Navy’s National Museum. If I’m not mistaken, I saw one of these years ago at an air show. It was privately owned.
I watched a show on The Smithsonian Channel just a few weeks ago about these planes. In the evenings the channel shows off our greatest flying machines. I was unaware about these planes until I watched that program. Having the Corsair’s in 1944 turned the air part of the war around for the U.S. against the Japanese. It was a really great show. I wish they would show the FA/35. I have heard about them, but never saw one. I miss going to air shows. They suspended them around here, but I don’t know why.

Back