Unconscious nervous habits

gennie

Do you have one? Mine is to clench my shoulders. I sometimes find my shoulders stiff and up around my ear lobes when I'm reading, watching TV, riding in car, even when I'm just sitting a talking to a neighbor. Been doing it for years and can't break myself of habit.

I relax them immediately but later will find it happening again. I've even waked up middle of night with shoulders rigid. I'd love to know how to break the habit.

I never bite my nails but the skin around them is a mess. I pick continuously. My daughter can actually hear me doing it. I stop when she reminds me but soon I'm right back at it again. Disgusting and unsightly habit.

When I watch TV I try holding something or even twiddling my thumbs. Nothing really helps.

I go around and straighten stuff -hate wonky stuff- cushions in a heap etc
and another' of when I put on a clean bottom sheet --I have to smooth it all over by hand - done that for years -dont think I have ocd
but likes stuff right 'well thats my excuse lol

I never bite my nails but the skin around them is a mess. I pick continuously. Nothing really helps.
You could wear gloves when relaxing with nothing to do (watching tv, reading etc), I've read it takes 3 months to break a habit.
I go around and straighten stuff -hate wonky stuff- cushions in a heap etc
Nothing wrong with those habits, I think they're great as long as you don't do it continuously.

As a child, I had a nail-biting habit - to the point of bleeding & infection. My mom put something called "Stop Bite" on my nails. It was supposed to taste bitter to discourage nail biting. That didn't work very well. After a couple of hours, the stuff started to taste sweet & I liked biting my nails more.

Yes! Many! Where to start.
Im not going to list them all but if standing around others where I become uncomfortable I do this courtesy type thing but without the arms. LOL. My husband thinks it’s cute 😝
When there’s an uncomfortable break of silence I fill it with humour
Start giggling and can’t stop 🤓
Dig my fingernails into my fingers really hard
Thinking that people think the worst of me. This last one is the worst cause most people deserve better but I get stuck sometimes. Its a horrible habit 🙁
There’s so many more but I’m not going to write them all down

I have the habit of getting out of the car and locking the door, and then returning to verify the door is locked after I am about 20 feet away. It helps if I say "locked" after I first get out of the car.
Ahaha! I couldn't think of any nervous habits I have, and your post reminded me. When I turn off the lights before bed, I always check the kitchen. I have a drip coffee maker that needs to be turned off manually and sometimes I forget. If I don't see the red light, I am okay to go to bed.

Last edited:
I've heard how acupuncture helps some people. @Ruthanne - did you ever consider it or ask about it? I'm kind of dismissive about it, but it has been around for a long time.

Has anyone here tried acupuncture?

I just checked, Medicare does not cover it. Sorry!

Anything medically necessary has coverage through Medicare. Unfortunately, Acupuncture does not fall into that category. Unlike chiropractic care, acupuncture is not as much of a hands-on method for reducing pain. Acupuncture is done by inserting needles into the surface of the skin.

EDIT: This is from the Mayo Clinic =

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/acupuncture/about/pac-20392763

Last edited:
@Ruthanne
Another article on acupuncture. Do some research, ask your doctor, paying out of pocket might be worth it if it really works and helps with your pain:

https://billingsgazette.com/lifesty...cle_a518b2f4-a7e0-11de-b408-001cc4c002e0.html
"Muscle tension can develop in any area of the body. I find that a lot of people who come to me complaining of joint pain have very tight muscles that contribute to the pain. Upon palpating around the joint I will find many muscle knots and trigger points. These areas are often very painful and will radiate pain to another body area when pressed. Often when these areas are released the pain will improve quickly. "

@Ruthanne
Another article on acupuncture. Do some research, ask your doctor, paying out of pocket might be worth it if it really works and helps with your pain:

https://billingsgazette.com/lifesty...cle_a518b2f4-a7e0-11de-b408-001cc4c002e0.html
"Muscle tension can develop in any area of the body. I find that a lot of people who come to me complaining of joint pain have very tight muscles that contribute to the pain. Upon palpating around the joint I will find many muscle knots and trigger points. These areas are often very painful and will radiate pain to another body area when pressed. Often when these areas are released the pain will improve quickly. "
Have nothing in pocket to pay...

I have a habit of either my feet move to a beat or I’m always drumming on something. I had it whenI was little, in school, at work and now at retirement. I think it got serious when I was in the marching band, as a drummer, and never really left me.

My shoulders tense up a lot to the point of having the muscle down my back ache a lot. I even had to go to physical therapy for it. It's been acting up a lot again. So I'm doing the PT exercises again but am in pain...o_O
Mine involves a tendon that goes up the neck and always hurts - from mildly discomforting to severe pain - bit never goes away.

Do you have one? Mine is to clench my shoulders. I sometimes find my shoulders stiff and up around my ear lobes when I'm reading, watching TV, riding in car, even when I'm just sitting a talking to a neighbor. Been doing it for years and can't break myself of habit.

I relax them immediately but later will find it happening again. I've even waked up middle of night with shoulders rigid. I'd love to know how to break the habit.
Soooo glad someone else can relate. I have the same problem. I have been dealing with anxiety for a very long time.. it is not as debilitating as it was years ago but it still surface every now and then. But I find myself tensing up when watch I tv or doing whatever and tell myself to relax. This has left me with a LOT of muscle tension and stiffness. I have tension knots all over my body. I cannot tell you the last time I was fully relaxed. Not sure what that feels like. I have a stubborn tension knot on the right side of my neck. My massage therapist tries to massage it out but its pretty stubborn. I work on it sometimes. It keeps me clenching my teeth and I feel tension all around my face, head, etc. This is why I have my glass of wine or two.. it helps a little. I also take my one fourth valium when needed. However, my tension started about 9 years ago dealing with financial challenges with my hubby.. things are better now but the tension has not caught up yet.

@Ruthanne

This is sooo true... I have terrible muscle tension.

I love to sing. One of my "bad" habits is to change the words to songs I know for the fun of it. Sometimes this habit drives me nuts: Here is an example for the Christmas season:

Sleigh bells ring, are you glizing?
In the land, snow is blizing.
A terrible sight we're not happy tonight.
Walking in a winter nightmare.

Back