Under a Rock: The Life Cycle of an Archaeologist

Meanderer

Supreme Member
Life Cycle

"Once again we meet, you with the black tulip on your lapel, and me with a bunch of bananas dangling suggestively from my nose. But enough about my fruity adornments - it seems biologists at the University of Skid Mark, Arizona have finally cracked the life cycle of archaeologists. By comparing frogspawn with bellybutton fluff donated from academic dirt riddlers (I donated some of my fluff - I was glad to get rid of it, I had bags of the stuff in the attic) they have managed to describe the great merry go round on which us mud-on-toast merchants all rotate. So without further ado I give you . . ." (curtains open, polite ripple of applause.) (Read More)

iu

Ancient Roman ‘Commander House’ Discovered In Rome

AncientPages.com - "During works for Rome’s new subway station, workers have uncovered an ancient Roman 'Commander's House', the first discovery of its kind in the Italian capital, say archaeologists and conservation experts".

iu

"As ANSA reports, the dig has turned up a domus connected to the dormitory of a barracks built at the time of Emperor Trajan and then modified by Hadrian. Almost two years earlier, in the same area, archaeologists identified 1,800-year-old army barracks and the dormitory". (Read More)

Oh my! The linked story just reminded me of the sculptures an ex-gentleman friend put on the back hill of one of my old houses. One of them he created definitely looked like a tombstone designed to hold remains! I wonder if later owners found it and whether it put the fear of evil spirits into them! (Have to give this kid credit, though - they are fascinating works of art!) My most exciting finds were a metal bird's head from a salt/pepper shaker and an embossed glass baby aspirin bottle, both circa 1940's. Perhaps I should rebury them and let them age!

Back