Unstuffed cabbage for dinner tonight.

Ruth n Jersey

It was another snowy day today. Time for some comfort food.
Back in the day I spent hours wilting cabbage and rolling the leaves to make stuffed cabbage.
This is so quick and easy I make it often.
Coarsely chop the raw cabbage and put in the bottom of a pan and layer with ground beef which I added onion, salt and pepper as it browned. Drain.
Add some raw rice and plain tomato sauce end with a layer of cabbage. Pour more tomato sauce on top and bake covered at 350 degrees until tender.
To speed up the process I put the chopped cabbage in the microwave until almost tender and added cooked rice.
It tastes the same with a whole lot less baking time. Freezes well if you don't mind the looks.unstuffed cabbage.JPG

Ruth. Next time I make my cabbage hash, I'm going to try your method of cooking the cabbage.

My normal method is to sauté it in a pan with a little butter, which is delicious, but can't wait to give your method a try.

That looks and sounds great Ruth! I'll have to try and make that.

My father taught me how to make something called lazy man stuffed cabbage and it's a bit similar to your recipe except you put large meatballs made with ground beef and rice and in the bottom of a large pot. Then you add a cut up cabbage and pour 3 cans of 🍅 tomato soup along with 2 or 3 cans of water. Add the spices you prefer. Cover pot and bring to boil and then turn the heat to simmer for about an hour.

Back in the day I spent hours wilting cabbage and rolling the leaves to make stuffed cabbage.
Looks so yummy Ruth!

Yes, I use to spend hours wilting cabbage too until of friend of mine told me how she does it and I tried it. Core the cabbage head, then freeze. When really to make cabbage rolls, just thaw the cabbage, the leaves peel away nicely wilted and your ready to go.

That looks and sounds great Ruth! I'll have to try and make that.

My father taught me how to make something called lazy man stuffed cabbage and it's a bit similar to your recipe except you put large meatballs made with ground beef and rice and in the bottom of a large pot. Then you add a cut up cabbage and pour 3 cans of 🍅 tomato soup along with 2 or 3 cans of water. Add the spices you prefer. Cover pot and bring to boil and then turn the heat to simmer for about an hour.Ruthanne
@Ruthanne that sounds good also. Nice to bite into a meatball with the cabbage.
Your recipe reminds me of Porcupine meatballs. I don't remember the exact recipe but you make the meatballs with rice. As they cook and shrink the rice pokes out like spines on a porcupine then it is covered and simmered in tomato soup. No cabbage in that one though.
My kids ate it just because of the fun name. I served it with broccoli that I called little trees. They gobbled it all up.
They are so gullible when young . lol

I was raised on fried cabbage in butter. My mom chopped it up very finely and slow cooked it in a black iron skillet. Sometimes I chop it with a knife and it is not as good as when I throw the cabbage in a processor. Try mixing it with cooked rice and cooked polish sausage links (not the smoked kind.) Cut the links in one inch lengths after cooking and mix it all together, add some seasoning and heat in an oven @300 for 30-40 minutes.

Last edited:
I was raised on fried cabbage in butter. My mom chopped it up very finely and slow cooked it in a black iron skillet. Sometimes I chop it with a knife and it is not as good as when I throw the cabbage in a processor.
Oh yes, I'm with you on fried cabbage in butter, FM! So yummy!

Really brings the sweetness out in it.

@Ruthanne that sounds good also. Nice to bite into a meatball with the cabbage.
Your recipe reminds me of Porcupine meatballs. I don't remember the exact recipe but you make the meatballs with rice. As they cook and shrink the rice pokes out like spines on a porcupine then it is covered and simmered in tomato soup. No cabbage in that one though.
My kids ate it just because of the fun name. I served it with broccoli that I called little trees. They gobbled it all up.
They are so gullible when young . lol
The Porcupine Meatballs sound great and I love broccoli! ❣️

Back