Unusual ways you prepare or eat food.

SS, indeed, why not? As long as you like what's in there, I say enjoy. I'll eat any combo, but I'm not that big on cheese with seafood.

I'm a near vegan, so no cheese on my salad!

Also, Jujube & RR, thanks for the inspiration. I just plucked a couple of tomatoes off the plant in my backyard and had a lettuce, mayo and tomato sandwich for lunch. Yummmmmmmmm!!!!!

Tomato sandwiches....yum. Sliced tomatoes on white bread (it SHOULD be white bread but I substitute Italian bread as I can't stomach "real" white bread), heavy on the salt and mayonnaise. The bread should be toasted lightly so the sandwich doesn't flop around when you're eating it.

It's strictly a summer-time treat as it's absolutely impossible to get good tomatoes in Florida unless I have a relative send me some they've grown. But when we hit the mountains of North Narrowlina, the tomatoes from Tennessee (Grainger County tomatoes are the best) and local tomatoes are everywhere and they are DELICIOUS!

I eat so many tomato sandwiches it's a wonder I haven't turned red.

Agree about the tomatoes. Hard to find good ones.

I'm a gourmet vegan chef, cooking vegan dishes in the style of Indian, Ethiopian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, American and other cuisines. Still, none of the dishes, described above, seem that "out there," to me. At times in my life, I think I've tried most of what's been described, or very close to them. I expected to read about some very strange things, in this thread. Oh well......... Gotta go fix up some Poi.

Well, I’m a sucker for PB&J, and a juicy ‘mater samich

But

For my money, I’m dining at treeguy’s place

I'm a gourmet vegan chef, cooking vegan dishes in the style of Indian, Ethiopian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, American and other cuisines..

AizyBHm.png

Hey, tree guy...what do you use to make cheese / chili con queso dip? Nutritional Yeast Flakes base?

Also, what's you fav butter replacement? Soy Lecithin?

We worked with Mimi Clark, a pretty famous vegan cooking instructor from Baltimore - she taught vegan cooking
at Whole Foods. She has some "very strange things" I think:

https://veggourmet.wordpress.com

Hey, tree guy...what do you use to make cheese / chili con queso dip? Nutritional Yeast Flakes base?

Also, what's you fav butter replacement? Soy Lecithin?

We worked with Mimi Clark, a pretty famous vegan cooking instructor from Baltimore - she taught vegan cooking
at Whole Foods. She has some "very strange things" I think:

https://veggourmet.wordpress.com

The best vegan cheeses, I've found, are made by Follow Your Heart. I use their mozzarella for my spelt pizzas, and their cheddar in my tacos, tamales and chili. Being in the city where it all began for Whole Foods, I've been able to try just about every vegan cheese out there, and have stuck with the above, through it all. The ingredients have changed, over the years, always for the better, as I've experienced it.

The only margarine I use is made by Smart Balance. I like their added olive oil margarine. Earth Balance is about the same, taste and ingredient-wise, but it's a buck more.

I do not know if it is unusual, but my go-to comfort food is a PB and J sandwich. What may make it unusual, or different to some, is that if I have some on hand, I will add cream cheese to the sandwich. Love it like that

I actually got the PB and J with cream cheese idea from something my mom did for a snack. She would use crackers, and put cream cheese and jelly on them. THey were great. I do that sometimes too.

Back