Us older gear heads will get it

Shades of Mel Brooks exploding Pinto, that is funny indeed, but older than dirt gearheads wanted real flames going in a different direction. However, the right wind conditions could emulate that paint job in burnt black.

500_F_108415550_fVURVL4OWomM0iYDO7FjNpS3s8AS8Rud.jpg

Edit Note: It was my generation that helped get this banned. The device only took several spark plugs in the tailpipe, some distributor wire, a switch or relay and a carburetor choke. Apparently, toasting the car behind you was frowned upon.

Last edited:
That Pinto paint job is accurate....as that model had the gas tank so close to the rear bumper that any rear end collision could easily turn that car into a bomb. We had the "station wagon" variant of that car for a couple of years, and when the reports of gas tank explosions started to become newsworthy, we traded it for a safer vehicle.

Shades of Mel Brooks exploding Pinto, that is funny indeed, but older than dirt gearheads wanted real flames going in a different direction. However, the right wind conditions could emulate that paint job in burnt black.

500_F_108415550_fVURVL4OWomM0iYDO7FjNpS3s8AS8Rud.jpg

Edit Note: It was my generation that helped get this banned. The device only took several spark plugs in the tailpipe, some distributor wire, a switch or relay and a carburetor choke. Apparently, toasting the car behind you was frowned upon.
Back in the day, if you drove a manual gear change, that was petrol (gas) driven, you could, by getting up to speed, knock the gear stick into neutral, pump the accelerator a couple of times and then re-engage the gear. Most of the fuel that went through the engine as you pumped the accelerator, would not have ignited causing it to build up in the exhaust pipe, the engaging of the gears sends an extremely hot exhaust gas down the pipe, resulting in an almighty backfiring bang.

I did exactly that once in London, just as I was passing a long bus queue, in the evening peak period. The resulting bang not only caused the people in the queue to leap out of their skin, it also scared a roost of birds in the trees above the bus stop, sending down a shower of feathers and bird poop all over that unfortunate queue. Oh to be twenty-one again.

Back in the day, if you drove a manual gear change, that was petrol (gas) driven, you could, by getting up to speed, knock the gear stick into neutral, pump the accelerator a couple of times and then re-engage the gear. Most of the fuel that went through the engine as you pumped the accelerator, would not have ignited causing it to build up in the exhaust pipe, the engaging of the gears sends an extremely hot exhaust gas down the pipe, resulting in an almighty backfiring bang.

I did exactly that once in London, just as I was passing a long bus queue, in the evening peak period. The resulting bang not only caused the people in the queue to leap out of their skin, it also scared a roost of birds in the trees above the bus stop, sending down a shower of feathers and bird poop all over that unfortunate queue. Oh to be twenty-one again.
...It has also blown the mufflers off many vehicles ; or caused them to split wide open.
...spotted a friend on a motorcycle behind me... he said it nearly knocked him off the bike.
Got tired of replacing clamped on exhaust systems and started welding the joints.

Enjoy!

I had a Pinto. Brand new, it cost $1750 and we had it for three years without serious problems. Windshield wiper motor burned out, under warranty. Exhaust manifold cracked for some reason. It cost about $20 and a couple hours of my husband turning the air blue and skinning up his knuckles to remedy. Otherwise, we were still on the original battery, tires, brakes, etc. when we traded it in on an AMC Matador station wagon, which was the biggest lemon ever made.

The Pinto got me through three years of Detroit winters, never got stuck in the snow, never skidded on ice. I loved that little car.

I had a Pinto. Brand new, it cost $1750 and we had it for three years without serious problems. Windshield wiper motor burned out, under warranty. Exhaust manifold cracked for some reason. It cost about $20 and a couple hours of my husband turning the air blue and skinning up his knuckles to remedy. Otherwise, we were still on the original battery, tires, brakes, etc. when we traded it in on an AMC Matador station wagon, which was the biggest lemon ever made.

The Pinto got me through three years of Detroit winters, never got stuck in the snow, never skidded on ice. I loved that little car.
Like the Chevrolet Corvair, the Pinto got a bad rap it didn't deserve.

Back