Using the Ignore Option

So far as I know, Ignored members can still post comments to your threads (which, technically, are not "your" threads, but threads you started at Senior Forums), and members who have not put that member on Ignore can see them. You also won't see your Ignored member's comments on anyone's threads.

That said, if someone you put on Ignore posted to a thread (any thread -- yours or otherwise), you would be able to see a little link at the bottom of that thread to display your Ignored members' comments.

Yes they can still post on your threads altho' you won't be able to see their posts.. other people will however and can reply to them !
Interesting! I never paid attention to the ignore option because I'm too nosy/curious and need to know what's being said. 🤭 Kind of on the same subject, what is the benefit (if there is any?) of "following" someone? Does that send a notification every time that person posts *anywhere* on any thread... or just when they start a new thread?

Interesting! I never paid attention to the ignore option because I'm too nosy/curious and need to know what's being said. 🤭 Kind of on the same subject, what is the benefit (if there is any?) of "following" someone? Does that send a notification every time that person posts *anywhere* on any thread... or just when they start a new thread?
TBH I have no idea.. after 9 years as a member here I've never felt the need to follow anyone.. :D

I've always thought the ignore option was way less than half of a solution. You will still see replies and quoted content from the person you want to ignore. The best solution is simply not bother reading anything from a known troll or offensive person. If you can't help but peek at this stuff, you could say you don't really want to ignore it. Just don't read their stuff. It IS a habit you can break or a skill you CAN acquire.

I once put someone on ignore on another forum just so I did not have to look at their avatar picture. Not sure how it works here, does the avatar show up still?

I have never officially ignored or followed a poster on any website. It takes only a nano second to skip over a poster I don't care for, and I've never found anyone I like so much I need to read their every post.

I've always thought the ignore option was way less than half of a solution. You will still see replies and quoted content from the person you want to ignore. The best solution is simply not bother reading anything from a known troll or offensive person. If you can't help but peek at this stuff, you could say you don't really want to ignore it. Just don't read their stuff. It IS a habit you can break or a skill you CAN acquire.
you don't see the replies or the threads started by people you have on ignore. The only time you see their posts is if someone quotes them

The whole concept of "ignore" seems kind of silly to me. Almost like little kids sticking their fingers in their ears when they don't want to hear something.

There are people whose posts I choose not to read. when I see their name or avatar, I just skip over their post. Not a perfect solution, as others often comment on whatever they said, and then you haven't got a clue what they are talking about. But if you ever get curious enough, you can always go back and read it. But you don't have to. I like keeping my options open.

The whole concept of "ignore" seems kind of silly to me. Almost like little kids sticking their fingers in their ears when they don't want to hear something.

There are people whose posts I choose not to read. when I see their name or avatar, I just skip over their post. Not a perfect solution, as others often comment on whatever they said, and then you haven't got a clue what they are talking about. But if you ever get curious enough, you can always go back and read it. But you don't have to. I like keeping my options open.
that's all very well if the people you are not interested in have started a thread.. you can skip that, but when you're in a conversation and these people come into the thread, many with abusive or attacking posts then you can't just skip over it.. and not see it.. whereas with the Ignore button, you never see these posts at all.. I love it, I have all the horrible people on ignore.. ! Why should I invite their nastiness into my home ?.. I don't.. and equally I don't care who has me on ignore..

Last edited:
I have never put anyone on ignore. I have experienced some unpleasantness on here, but I've noticed that there are a few who are inclined to give negative responses anyway. I try not to take it personally.
Some people have problems in their personal life and use a site like this to discharge some of their resentment. No excuse of course, but we are not all rational, reasonable human beings.

Back