USO

Feelslikefar

Thinking back to the numerous times I had to relocate while in the USAF
and going into an USO facility at a bus terminal (Greyhound Days) or the airport.

A place for us to relax for a time, have a cup of coffee and chat with fellow travelers.
Many great people manned those sites and made us feel welcomed for what we were doing.

We had to travel in uniform in those days and sometimes you just wanted to escape the looks this might cause,
back in the Day.

For a few minutes or hours you just felt normal on your way to a new place or returning home on leave.
They were famous for their shows with big stars, but the service they provided for travelers was just as important.

The USO is still going strong and provide much welcomed help to our service members.
We donate for a 'touch of home' packages sent to our troops serving overseas.

The USO in Korea provided weekend bus tours bus tours out of Seoul to various cultural and historic places. Linda and I took advantage of them whenever we had the time. Ex-pat Americans and Korean Nationals served as volunteers. To a person, they were always courteous, knowledgeable seemed genuinely pleased at what they were doing.

As I recall, USO was also responsible for bringing the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders over for a show during Super Bowl week. Never made any of the performances myself, but the soldiers that did sure enjoyed them.

Indeed, USO provided an invaluable service to our armed forces. Still do, I guess. Don't get out to terminals or airports much anymore.

Back