Utah Nurse arrested for doing her job

Lolly

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/01/health/utah-nurse-arrest-police-video/index.html

Salt Lake City police apologized Friday for arresting a nurse who, citing hospital policy, refused to let officers draw blood from an unconscious crash victim. The arrest of Alex Wubbels, who was later released without charge, was captured on body camera video that the police chief said was alarming.Salt Lake City police apologized Friday for arresting a nurse who, citing hospital policy, refused to let officers draw blood from an unconscious crash victim. The arrest of Alex Wubbels, who was later released without charge, was captured on body camera video that the police chief said was alarming.

She was following hospital policy. She was following HIPPA laws. She consulted her supervisors via cell phone while the officer looked on and was told to hold her ground. Yet, the bully of a police officer manhandled her, arrested her, and placed her in handcuffs. Currently, the officer has been placed on leave and a criminal investigation into his actions has been initiated. Would not bother me to see the officer fired and have to perform some community service... in that hospital... as an alternative to jail time.

I respect the police and the dangerous, difficult job they have. To have respect you have to earn respect. This officer's actions have damaged millions of people's respect for the police as they have witnessed this video of his outrageous performance.

I've been following this, and these cops stepped way over their boundaries. With so much attention, I'm sure job(s) will be lost.

I have always found cops to be very respectful of Nurses.. even letting them go with a warning for traffic stops.. Theory is, you don't want to be lying on a hospital gurney and look up to see someone you have given a ticket to responsible for your life... Silly joke, because a Nurse will always be professional and protect her patient.. That's what this nurse was doing... That cop needs to be fired.. Every time I see this video, I get angrier.
'

IMO the officer knew he was in the wrong from the start and thought that he could bully his way into getting what he wanted.

It's refreshing to see that the nurse has taken the high road by not filing a lawsuit against the city and turning this incident into a payday, we could use more strong intelligent people like her in this country.

One of the worst things about this situation was that the arresting officer spoke FOR AN HOUR on the phone with the nurse's supervisor being informed that his actions were illegal, before manhandling the nurse.

And just as guilty - perhaps more so - is the lieutenant who GAVE him the orders, who certainly should have known that Utah's law had changed.

Ironically, the patient/victim of the truck-driver crash that Ms. Wubbels was protecting was William Gray, a reserve officer with the police department in Rigby, Idaho. He publicly thanked her afterwards for preserving his privacy.

Actually, I think she should sue the police dept. Without a lawsuit it doesn't get recorded as a serious violation of rights, and the police administration can/will sweep it under the rug with people forgetting about it in a few weeks.

The United States has been a Police State for black and brown people since the very beginning. Now that the cops are so out of control that even white people are starting to be affected maybe something will get done about it.

So now we are learning the reason for the intense effort to draw blood from this unconscious patient.. they were looking for a scapegoat in a fatal police chase crash!

read:https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...y-be-a-lot-more-to-this-story?detail=facebook

Now, let’s take a moment to examine why there might be more to this story. The reason nurse Alex Wubbels was refusing to allow Detective Payne to draw blood from a patient is because the patient was a victim in a fatal accident. The patient was not accused of any crimes, had not been arrested, was not conscious to give consent—but he was a victim of a deadly accident resulting from a high speed police chase. Attorney Owen Barcala offered one theory on Twitter:
x
x

Were Detective Payne and his supervisor so eager to get a blood sample from William Gray in the hopes of finding something they could later point to in an effort help another police department cover their ass after a deadly chase?
And for what it’s worth, the patient has been identified as Idaho resident William Gray, a full-time truck driver who also happens to be a Rigby police officer. His department thanked nurse Wubbels for protecting Gray’s rights:

Back