Very Important Progress! (Canadian Museum for Human Rights makes all its washrooms gender-inclusive)

Packerjohn

Packerjohn
Where I live progress is being implemented slowly but surely. You might wonder what are the issues here in Canada that need improvement? We have a lack of labour, inflation is running away, interest rates are climbing, the price of fuel is sky rocketing or perhaps, the soaring prices on housing.

Yes, these are concerns for the average Canadian but according to the most progressive minds in this country, the # 1 issue is where to go to pee? You laugh, do you? Apparently, there have been problems using our bathrooms. The Canadian Museum for Human Rights is doing away with men's and women's washrooms in a move it says makes the space safer for 2SLGBTQ people.

On this, International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia, every washroom at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights is now gender inclusive. What can I say that has not been said? If interested, the article is below.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mani...n-rights-gender-inclusive-washrooms-1.6455922

There are many uni-sex ones here too, but one woman, I read
last week, whenever she finds that the place where she is at the
moment, has one of these, she goes to the help-desk to ask for
instructions or a demonstration on how to use it, the trend is
causing companies to think again.

Mike.

Last edited:
I grew up in a house with a gender-neutral bathroom, and we all seemed to manage.

7694821_orig.jpg

A little off topic. Listening to a tv show, they were talking about men in Germany being taught to sit down to pee. They don’t usually have many urinals. They could adjust to gender neutral washrooms easily.

Where I live progress is being implemented slowly but surely. You might wonder what are the issues here in Canada that need improvement? We have a lack of labour, inflation is running away, interest rates are climbing, the price of fuel is sky rocketing or perhaps, the soaring prices on housing. Yes, these are concerns for the average Canadian but according to the most progressive minds in this country, the # 1 issue is where to go to pee? You laugh, do you? Apparently, there have been problems using our bathrooms. The Canadian Museum for Human Rights is doing away with men's and women's washrooms in a move it says makes the space safer for 2SLGBTQ people. On this, International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia, every washroom at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights is now gender inclusive. What can I say that has not been said? If interested, the article is below.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mani...n-rights-gender-inclusive-washrooms-1.6455922
As I admitted elsewhere today, I'm bad at acronyms. Can someone provide a REAL interpretation of "2SLGBTQIA+" without any smart-alecky remarks? I do know LGBT (I think), but am confounded by the rest.

Also, the additional links on the above page are revealing and surprising. For a Museum of Human Rights, they definitely needed to up their game!

Last edited:
I wrote something in an old thread of mine along the lines of this thread....

Asian facilities

HK, at the turn of the century was pretty uptown, at least in Kowloon and neighboring areas…..but up the road, north of Shenzhen in Tangxia Village, Dongguan, the theme changed a bit.

While inspecting a factory there, an overpowering urge stopped me in my tracks.
Seems the dog I ate the previous night was not CDA grade A, ‘cause I was percolatin’.
I subtly grabbed my broker’s shirt with clenched fists and whispered my desires in his ear.

Apparently, doubling over and grimacing was sufficient body language, as several people pointed my way to the lavatory.
Full pedal down the long straightaway, periodically stopping, frozen, like a sow in heat, then full throttle thru the tiled ‘S’ turn and I was home free.
‘Cept there were no stalls,
and no toilets,
and no trough
….just a few tiled holes in the floor.
Clean though. Very clean.

It’s just there was no way I could wrap my mind around a remote possibility of a successful mission.
The prairie dogging salad shooter would definitely have ended up mostly somewhere inside my Wranglers.
My mind raced….take off the jeans and perch…then what?
No TP
What’s with the waterfall?!
Oh, no way.
The term ‘Suck it up’ became quite tangible.

If the tongue is the most muscular organ of the body, the sphincter has to be a close second.
So, I slowly strolled out of hole haven toward my broker, as nonchalantly as possible with compressed cheeks, and subtly grabbing his shirt with clenched fists, whisper/screamed, ‘to the hotel, NOW!!’

Yeah, I’ve left many a scat in the bush, but a coed hole-in-the-floor lavatory was just a bit too much.

As I admitted elsewhere today, I'm bad at acronyms. Can someone provide a REAL interpretation of "2SLGBTQIA+" without any smart-alecky remarks? I do know LGBT (I think), but am confounded by the rest.

Also, the additional links on the above page are revealing and surprising. For a Museum of Human Rights, they definitely needed to up their game!
Finally got an answer, though I still need to look up a couple things:

https://www.middlebury.edu/institut...an acronym for,people choose to self-identify.

*2SLGTBQIA+ is an acronym for Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and the countless affirmative ways in which people choose to self-identify.

I'm just grateful that each person who identifies themselves uniquely doesn't request their own bathroom!

I dislike them too but I have traveled extensively through Turkey, India and China. When you have to squat with 10 men squatting around you at the same time, you really get a new appreciation for the bathrooms of North America.
...and then there is what they call toilet paper.

Oh, yeah? Try balancing oneself over a Turkish squatty-potty on a pitching ferryboat during a storm when eight months pregnant. Now THERE'S a challenge.

And anyone who ventures into a foreign restroom without one's own supply of toilet tissue shouldn't be surprised at the result.... It doesn't need to be a 3rd-world country to lack basic supplies, either. In our cheapeaux hotel in Paris, the necessities consisted of small squares of newspaper skewered on a nail in the wall.

Finally got an answer, though I still need to look up a couple things:

https://www.middlebury.edu/institute/student-life/lgbtq#:~:text=*2SLGTBQIA+ is an acronym for,people choose to self-identify.

*2SLGTBQIA+ is an acronym for Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and the countless affirmative ways in which people choose to self-identify.

I'm just grateful that each person who identifies themselves uniquely doesn't request their own bathroom!
Need to add a "P" to that mess for those who still have the sense to be "privately sexual"

I wrote something in an old thread of mine along the lines of this thread....

Asian facilities

HK, at the turn of the century was pretty uptown, at least in Kowloon and neighboring areas…..but up the road, north of Shenzhen in Tangxia Village, Dongguan, the theme changed a bit.

While inspecting a factory there, an overpowering urge stopped me in my tracks.
Seems the dog I ate the previous night was not CDA grade A, ‘cause I was percolatin’.
I subtly grabbed my broker’s shirt with clenched fists and whispered my desires in his ear.

Apparently, doubling over and grimacing was sufficient body language, as several people pointed my way to the lavatory.
Full pedal down the long straightaway, periodically stopping, frozen, like a sow in heat, then full throttle thru the tiled ‘S’ turn and I was home free.
‘Cept there were no stalls,
and no toilets,
and no trough
….just a few tiled holes in the floor.
Clean though. Very clean.

It’s just there was no way I could wrap my mind around a remote possibility of a successful mission.
The prairie dogging salad shooter would definitely have ended up mostly somewhere inside my Wranglers.
My mind raced….take off the jeans and perch…then what?
No TP
What’s with the waterfall?!
Oh, no way.
The term ‘Suck it up’ became quite tangible.

If the tongue is the most muscular organ of the body, the sphincter has to be a close second.
So, I slowly strolled out of hole haven toward my broker, as nonchalantly as possible with compressed cheeks, and subtly grabbing his shirt with clenched fists, whisper/screamed, ‘to the hotel, NOW!!’

Yeah, I’ve left many a scat in the bush, but a coed hole-in-the-floor lavatory was just a bit too much.
Priceless! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Public restrooms aren't a safe space for anyone. That's one reason why ladies like to go in groups and wise parents always accompany their children.
It can get complicated when a parent or grandparent or babysitter is out in public someplace with an opposite-gender child- what age does it start to be weird to accompany a child to a restroom?

I was in McDonald's one day in the 1980s when the thought crossed my mind that somebody should create restrooms designed only for one person at a time, or a parent with a child, regardless of gender.
A couple of decades later, in a different location, a public library had exactly that.
Maybe I could've become famous if I'd taken my idea to somebody! lol !!

It can get complicated when a parent or grandparent or babysitter is out in public someplace with an opposite-gender child- what age does it start to be weird to accompany a child to a restroom?

I was in McDonald's one day in the 1980s when the thought crossed my mind that somebody should create restrooms designed only for one person at a time, or a parent with a child, regardless of gender.
A couple of decades later, in a different location, a public library had exactly that.
I believe they are thinking of fully walled individual stalls, which I like. As to parent paranoia (of which I was guilty), when my son would use a public restroom, I stood outside the door while blocking it open just a crack. I would converse with him. When others arrived, I would just say "My child is in there." Nobody complained. And thankfully, there were never any problems.

I took my kids into public restrooms until they were like 11 or 12, then when it got weird was pretty much up to them. Daddy wiped their behinds until they learned to do a thorough job of it themselves, so I don't think merely taking them into a bathroom could get weird for them. They reached an age when they felt it was unnecessary, but weird? No.

I took my kids into public restrooms until they were like 11 or 12, then when it got weird was pretty much up to them. Daddy wiped their behinds until they learned to do a thorough job of it themselves, so I don't think merely taking them into a bathroom could get weird for them. They reached an age when they felt it was unnecessary, but weird? No.
Were they girls or boys?

Were they girls or boys?
2 boys and a girl, in that order. I'd take her into whichever restroom was empty or nearly empty. If it was the ladies room, I'd knock, and if someone answered I'd explain what I was doing. Whether the ladies or men's, people would always, always, empty the place out so I could take her in. A few times that we used the ladies room, a lady offered to take her in. I was still apprehensive, but I said "Ok, thanks" and waited outside with my ear on the door and my eyes on my watch.

2 boys and a girl, in that order. I'd take her into whichever restroom was empty or nearly empty. If it was the ladies room, I'd knock, and if someone answered I'd explain what I was doing. Whether the ladies or men's, people would always, always, empty the place out so I could take her in. A few times that we used the ladies room, a lady offered to take her in. I was still apprehensive, but I said "Ok, thanks" and waited outside with my ear on the door and my eyes on my watch.
Sounds like a good approach. Glad it worked for you and your kids!!

Sounds like a good approach. Glad it worked for you and your kids!!
I might have been a little overly paranoid, but I have an indelible memory related to public restrooms...

I was 7, and my parents and me and my brothers were at a community park. We'd just sat down to eat a watermelon when a sustained, very high-pitched scream came from the restrooms about 200 yards away. At least half-a-dozen dads suddenly ran to the men's room, including mine, and then one of them ran out holding this little kid who was maybe 4 or 5, and crying. Right behind them, all the men were dragging out this grungy middle-aged looking guy, and they punched and kicked him bloody while one of them ran to a nearby house to call the police.

I watched police handcuff that pedo scumbag while another cop checked the little boy over. The cops didn't request an ambulance or anything, so, presumably, the poor little guy was relatively unharmed. The police gave him all kinda props for screaming like a freaking banshee, and they told his mom she shouldn't let him go to restrooms by himself.

Back