Very sick puppy

@senior chef Just a thought, but has your puppy been wormed? Young puppies are prone to parasites. Whether they are born with parasites or pick them up from the environment, parasites like roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, coccidia, and giardia all cause diarrhea in puppies and all require veterinary attention.
Yes, the vet has wormed him.

Parvo ? Good heavens. I just read up on that. They said it was not curable. But symptoms can be treated.
When I 1st got the puppy, at 5 weeks of age, the Mexican vet said he was out of stock on Parvo vaccine.
I have taken him for walks in public but I never saw him eat anything while on a walk. Is parvo air-borne ?
Whatever it is, it came on like gangbusters. Fine last night. Sick this morning.

Symptoms: will not eat. Will not drink anything. Sleeps and sleeps and sleeps.
No bloody diarrhea.
No vomiting.
Only been 12 hours since I 1st noticed the problem. Too early to know if he will lose weight.
Puppies can survive parvo, and they can get it from the ground which is why you received advice not to take the puppy out in public places without shots. In any event, we bought a puppy that, unknown to us, had parvo, she was hospitalized for two weeks with IVs etc. She lived to 7 years when she got breast cancer and had to be put down. Treatment is very expensive.

Do you have ticks in the US? Over the years, two of our beloved dogs succumbed to tick bite, stopped eating, rushed to the vet but left too late to be saved. In both cases, the tick has been hiding for days unnoticed and the poison was just too great to be saved. We loved camping in the bush which didn't help. I have a scar on my neck where a tick had imbedded itself, they love me for some reason, pulled heaps off myself over the years. Some Aussies believe they have Lyme disease which is caused by tick bite but authorities still say there is no such thing in Australia.
View attachment 184719
Indy and I are in Mexico. I have no idea if there are ticks here but he has not been in a field yet, only has been walking on concrete sidewalks, I doubt he has a tick.
in any event, he seems to be normal again. He ate all his breakfast and he is acting like he has energy to burn.

Having had many rescue dogs over the years with all kinds of medical issues and unknown circumstances, we keep a childs oral syringe handy and whenever they look dehydrated, we squirt some water in the corner of their mouth. (slowly). It sounds like your fur baby just ate something that dis-agreed with him.

ezy dose.jpgezy dose.jpg

Back