Vitreous detachment

Lochkelly

As if I don't have enough going on with my health, I just found out that the black spidery floater in my eye is a vitreous detachment. Any sudden movement or jarring of my head could result in a retinal detachment. Oh, the joys of getting old!

Yeah it stinks doesn't it. Are you nearsighted? Really none of my business, but I am and vitreous detachment is a given for me. Thankfully it didn't harm your retina.

Get it tended to A.S.A.P. AS you say, at our age we cannot afford not to seek an answer to our medical problems.

i have a tiny floater in my eye 'had it for 12 years now ' dont take much notice of it now ……………...

PVD's are very common with advancing years. They rarely lead to retinal detachment, but if they damage the retina, it can be repaired effectively, so get along to an optometrist ASAP and get it assessed properly.

I've had PVD's in both eyes. The first one happened when I was on a bus going to the shops. I got off and went to the nearest optometrist who examined my eye. The detachment had caused a minor retinal care, so it was off to hospital where it was repaired with laser stitches. My vision was fuzzy in that eye for a few days, but that soon cleared up. I still have some annoying floaters which are worse in certain lighting conditions.
I have a pair of glasses with a light brown tint and that improves matters greatly.

The second PVD was less dramatic and caused no problems.

I have several of those floaters. So do friends who are younger & some who are older than I am. When I first saw one (black string) I saw my eye doctor who said they're a normal part of aging for some people & there really isn't any treatment.
I'm nearsighted & I also have a dry eye problem; I don't know if those issues are relevant.

I just saw our optomitrist today. I've had the regular floaters (whitish) for years and usually only see those in bright sunlight. Nothing to be done for this now. Doc says laser surgery at this point is not worth the risk. I go back in a month for evaluation.

I just saw our optomitrist today. I've had the regular floaters (whitish) for years and usually only see those in bright sunlight. Nothing to be done for this now. Doc says laser surgery at this point is not worth the risk. I go back in a month for evaluation.
Yeah, floaters are much-more visible in a white or light background. My optometrist's receptionist has many of them & she's only 45.

@Lochkelly My mom had that several months ago. It's common with age and usually resolves on its own. Mom has been back a couple of times for measurements and hers has resolved. Hoping yours does!

You know what's so depressing? All I keep hearing is that I'm OLD. I didn't expect this crap (bad knees, hernia, etc.) at 58-62. Hell, I don't even have grandkids yet. My youngest is in high school, for heaven's sake!
I get it, too. Sometimes I think we're not designed to live more than 60-70 years. And if we were, why do things wear out by then??
:)

You know what's so depressing? All I keep hearing is that I'm OLD. I didn't expect this crap (bad knees, hernia, etc.) at 58-62. Hell, I don't even have grandkids yet. My youngest is in high school, for heaven's sake!
My doctor has told me that genetics has so much to do with this. I’m having all kinds of health problems and I’m 60 years old the doctor said to take a look at the history or your parents and grandparents and you get an idea where you fall on the spectrum. He also shared that these outcomes can be modified to a degree with diet and exercise and other healthy lifestyle choices.

I had something like that, called a hole somewhere in back of my eye. The head of the Vision Clinic that I used, closed it up by freezing it. It hurt like hell and the guy had no kind of "bedside" manner or any concern whatsoever about pain involved, didn't warn me about it and didn't care. He just kept going while I was in excruciating pain. Never using him him again. And he had a good reputation. Wow. I wonder how many of those he does. Later learning that what I had is kind of common and usually doesn't need treatment. But you never know that you might be the exception. I was told the reason I had to have the freezing treatment is that the hole was too close to the edge of the eye to be optimal for laser treatment.

I get it, too. Sometimes I think we're not designed to live more than 60-70 years. And if we were, why do things wear out by then??
:)
My mom died this past May. She would have been 95 in June. Her only sister lived to 92. I'm praying I did not inherit their longevity genes. They were both so very miserable in the last few years.

My optometrist told me that a floater is a sign of glaucoma which indeed it was for me. Get it checked out.
Your optometrist is stretching & over-dramatizing. And he's not even an M.D. Some medical people think they appear more knowledgeable or caring when they do that.
A cold can be a sign of pneumonia. Back pain or stomach pain can be a sign of Pancreatic Cancer. Coughing can be a sign of lung cancer. Any minor issue can be a sign of something serious.

Exactly win123. Floaters are generally totally harmless in themselves. I have never heard of floaters being a sign of glaucoma, but, here anyway, a pressure test on the eye is a standard part of any eye examination. It's entirely possible that both floaters and glaucoma were detected during the same examination without there being any connection.

As if I don't have enough going on with my health, I just found out that the black spidery floater in my eye is a vitreous detachment. Any sudden movement or jarring of my head could result in a retinal detachment. Oh, the joys of getting old!
You can get it operated on if it would cause detachment, can't you? I mean, so you don't have to worry so over it? Know they check concussion victims for retinal detachment. Had a friend whose boy was operated on.

Anyone got some good news on getting old. lol 🤮
Everyday I wake up thankful for the fact now I have "time". Time to do what I love to do, time to watch and listen to the bird song, enjoy nature, time to swing and read on the back deck. Time to enjoy a cup of coffee, just the simple pleasures of life now.

Think as we age, we need to remember the millions of people in the world that haven't had the chance to have this "time out".

Also, learn to cultivate the ability to see the ridiculous and laugh like heck everyday - especially when you look in the mirror. Retaining your sense of humor is a wonderful thing to help you age. If you concentrate on all the negatives in life you will feel ages older!

Just "celebrate" life, daily. Keep on keeping on!

Everyday I wake up thankful for the fact now I have "time". Time to do what I love to do, time to watch and listen to the bird song, enjoy nature, time to swing and read on the back deck. Time to enjoy a cup of coffee, just the simple pleasures of life now.

Think as we age, we need to remember the millions of people in the world that haven't had the chance to have this "time out".

Also, learn to cultivate the ability to see the ridiculous and laugh like heck everyday - especially when you look in the mirror. Retaining your sense of humor is a wonderful thing to help you age. If you concentrate on all the negatives in life you will feel ages older!

Just "celebrate" life, daily. Keep on keeping on!
Once I believed in Santa Clause then I went to school and my friend told me the truth, I listen intensely to happy stories and ending of they lived happy ever after, I got married started a successful business, my wife divorced me and took half of all our assets and she had never worked a day in the business, never found in humor in that, I sometimes laugh when I look in the mirror and think WTF, where did that handsome dude go, then I met sweetie and she makes me laugh and she is not a comedian just naturally funny. I dig your point, but you have not walked in my shoes and I don't like being old. lol.. as I get my cane, my dog, get in my truck and we go to McDonalds and we each enjoy a Big Mac and keep on truckin!

Once I believed in Santa Clause then I went to school and my friend told me the truth, I listen intensely to happy stories and ending of they lived happy ever after, I got married started a successful business, my wife divorced me and took half of all our assets and she had never worked a day in the business, never found in humor in that, I sometimes laugh when I look in the mirror and think WTF, where did that handsome dude go, then I met sweetie and she makes me laugh and she is not a comedian just naturally funny. I dig your point, but you have not walked in my shoes and I don't like being old. lol.. as I get my cane, my dog, get in my truck and we go to McDonalds and we each enjoy a Big Mac and keep on truckin!
You got it...now there's celebrating the simple everyday pleasures. Can't get much better than a good dog and a good truck and a fav burger! Way cool!

Your optometrist is stretching & over-dramatizing. And he's not even an M.D. Some medical people think they appear more knowledgeable or caring when they do that.
A cold can be a sign of pneumonia. Back pain or stomach pain can be a sign of Pancreatic Cancer. Coughing can be a sign of lung cancer. Any minor issue can be a sign of something serious.
I will take my medical advice from an actual doctor and not Joe Blo from Kokamo thank you.

I hope you'll get it tended to in short order. I've just had laser surgery for the same thing for the second time. The surgery is simple, quick, effective, and not painful at all.

Back