Voyager: the ultimate traveller.

Diwundrin

Just watched a short doco on Voyager, it's about to enter interstellar space, amazing feat. It was only built to last 5 years but still fully operational after almost 36 years.

Now you have to wonder how they could do that back then when they can't build a TV or washing machine that can do more than stagger a few months past it's warranty date now!

No prize for the first person who says it's because they're all made in Asia these days. Sorry.

It's because they're all made in Asia these days.

Do I get a prize? ...I'm the second person...:p

I guess that it is all down to the meticulous level of attention given to the construction of the spacecraft.

I believe they construct them in a near sterile environment and wear protective clothing and gloves.

Out TV's and washing machines do not get that level of attention.

Sorry I let being silly lead me astray of the actual topic of Voyager's amazing voyage. Maybe it has the inner workings of a Timex watch . . . keeps a licking and keeps on ticking...

It never ceases to amaze me that they could build stuff to keep (most) people alive to the moon and back in the 60/70s. Looking at what they had available compared to the technology around now it was an amazing feat.

I was always a sci-fi fan and couldn't wait for them to 'catch up' with space travel, but have lived in disappointment ever since. Back to the books.siiiigh :(

It never ceases to amaze me that they could build stuff to keep (most) people alive to the moon and back in the 60/70s. Looking at what they had available compared to the technology around now it was an amazing feat.

I was always a sci-fi fan and couldn't wait for them to 'catch up' with space travel, but have lived in disappointment ever since. Back to the books.siiiigh :(

Hal_9000_by_ChanceDiRossi.jpg

Back