Watch Bald Eagles take turns sitting on new egg.

I have watched the Big Bear cam for a couple of years. These two have not had the best with their eggs. Someone at work said they watched but had to stop because of the snow and it distressed her. My thought is these birds thrived for centuries when it was much colder. The cold is not the worry for them.

I also watch the Redding California cam but it seems to be down when I checked it.

I bought the logo t shirt from the Big Bear organization and I've donated to a woman who does Raptor rescue in the Redding area.

Jackie brought in a fish yesterday before the expected storm. She and Shadow continue to take turns sitting on the eggs in the snow crusted nest.

We've watched them over the years. Sad to say, although they're still mostly incubating the eggs, the length of time since they were laid plus the long periods they've left the eggs unattended suggests this year's eggs aren't viable. :cry:

This isn't the first year of disappointment. One of two eggs survived last year and yielded eaglet "Spirit" but the year before neither egg hatched, nor did any of the four Jackie laid in the late 2019/early 2020 season. Jackie had two successful eggs in spring 2019, but one eaglet died a couple of months later. The other (Simba) is apparently still alive but no longer in the Big Bear area.

Watching them is a genuine treat, no matter the outcome. Mother Nature programs strong instincts.

I watch the SWFL eagles, too @Remy.

I've been watching Harriet and M-15 for many years and I was heart broken when she went missing, presumed dead. But after watching M-15 grieve, it has become so inspiring to see him making it as a single father. He has taken them from just past the cotton ball stage to big healthy eaglets.

He has had the dilemma that all single parents have, needing to go out and get food but fearful and worried about leaving them alone. Through it all there's been another grown eagle coming around stealing the babies fish and wanting to take over the nest for herelf. It's been quite a year for them.

SWFL Dad feeding his hungry teenagers:

I watch the SWFL eagles, too @Remy.

I've been watching Harriet and M-15 for many years and I was heart broken when she went missing, presumed dead. But after watching M-15 grieve, it has become so inspiring to see him making it as a single father. He has taken them from just past the cotton ball stage to big healthy eaglets.

He has had the dilemma that all single parents have, needing to go out and get food but fearful and worried about leaving them alone. Through it all there's been another grown eagle coming around stealing the babies fish and wanting to take over the nest for herelf. It's been quite a year for them.

SWFL Dad feeding his hungry teenagers:
Thanks, Della

Giant fish!

Just one more video of my hero M-15 who almost has his babies ready to fledge.
Mating season should be good this year because the bachelorettes are already lining up for this prize.

Back