Watching 48 Hours

fmdog44

Two separate cases. One guy brutally beat a young woman to death and got 15 years. Another case of assault & battery another guy got 15 years. I think we have all shaken our heads at some verdicts but beating a woman to death and getting only 15 years I wish they would explain why only 15 years.

A 15-year sentence means he'll likely serve 5-6 years. Most sentences are cut in half automatically to cut costs of inmates' upkeep, which increases with their age. Except for really heinous crimes like mass murder, older inmates are paroled earlier.
And every day the inmate sweeps, mops, washes dishes or does any work is another day off his sentence. Currently, Covid is used as an excuse to release inmates even earlier.

Depends on what they were convicted of. There are different degrees of murder. Unless I'd heard the cases, I don't know the details and the reasoning of a judge giving such light sentences.

I wonder what happened to "Hard Labour", they don't
do it here either.

Prisons here are like hotels and/or finishing schools for
criminals.

Mike.

I wonder what happened to "Hard Labour", they don't
do it here either.

Prisons here are like hotels and/or finishing schools for
criminals.

Mike.
How I would love to see it's return.

8 days a week, 16 hour days, fed bread and water.

Incarceration nowadays has become much too comfortable for inmates.

How I would love to see it's return.

8 days a week, 16 hour days, fed bread and water.

Incarceration nowadays has become much too comfortable for inmates.

Back in the day [as they say] Local workhouse inmates used to clean our building/shops/offices, etc. And for the most part, they did a good job. If they cleaned our personal work-space , did an extra nice job, we were permitted to buy them lunch, maybe give them a pack of smokes & a soda-pop, etc.

Didn't take them long ..... to figure out that it was a decent way to spend six months to a year,out of their cell for about 6 hours a day 4 days a week, and eat well, at least once p/day.

Well, someone somewhere , started bitchin' about it, unfair labor , etc & so on......So it ended , we hired cleaners/janitors, bought mechanical sweepers & scrubbers, [several thousand dollars], and the shops were never again as clean as they once were.

Back in the day [as they say] Local workhouse inmates used to clean our building/shops/offices, etc. And for the most part, they did a good job. If they cleaned our personal work-space , did an extra nice job, we were permitted to buy them lunch, maybe give them a pack of smokes & a soda-pop, etc.

Didn't take them long ..... to figure out that it was a decent way to spend six months to a year,out of their cell for about 6 hours a day 4 days a week, and eat well, at least once p/day.

Well, someone somewhere , started bitchin' about it, unfair labor , etc & so on......So it ended , we hired cleaners/janitors, bought mechanical sweepers & scrubbers, [several thousand dollars], and the shops were never again as clean as they once were.
I say bring back those old days.

Have you been to a prison and seen what goes on there Mike?
No Ruthanne, I have never been to prison as an inmate,
but I worked in one doing a refurbishment of an old
Victorian Prison in London, Wandsworth Prison, besides
having mirrors above the wash hand basin we also had
to instal power points for their TV sets.

Mike.

Wandsworth Cell.jpg

Back