We are grieving here today

We had to let our precious 10 year old Bichon, Heidi, go to doggie heaven yesterday. She had a severe health issue that caused her a lot of pain every time she urinated. We worked with five different Vets to try to solve the problem and control the pain which often lasted several hours each time and was getting worse along with bleeding. We tried anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, herbs, hormone treatment, acupuncture and everything else that we could come up with. We could not let her continue to suffer and vets told us that the only next step was a highly invasive procedure that would require five days of hospital care afterward just to control the pain. Furthermore they had no real idea of what would happen if they did find something after putting her through all that misery. We could not ask Heidi to stay a little longer.

I have a hole in my heart right now and am continuing to get hit with waves of intense sadness. My poor wife has shed lots of tears and it taking it even harder than I am. Intellectually, we know that we made the right decision, but emotionally it is another matter. I wish that I could get a real good cry as that would probably help me.

We have lost pets before, but this one seems particularly tough since she was only 10.

I understand what you are going through -- I had to let my sweet Bonnie go back in April. I know how bad it hurts. But you did the right thing to let her go. As my vet says -- The last loving thing you can do for your dog is to let him or her go when it is time in order to spare them more suffering.

Just seeing this thread, I was away on vacation.

Pecos, I'm so sorry that you lost your Heidi, I had a girl named Heidi too who I lost to cancer. My condolences to you and your family.

CeeCee, so sad you lost your Pickles....hugs. 💙

I didn't see this until just now.

Sorry for your loss. Believe me, EVERY TIME I had to have a pet put down I KNEW I was doing the humane thing for the pet but that didn't stop me from feeling guilty about it. When you feel better the best thing you can do for Heidi is to ''pay it forward'' and adopt a dog in her memory. You'll feel good about it, I guarantee it.

Back