We are Not Excercising

I'd say that some are not exercising, not we. Actually I think your statistics are awfully low Fmdog, what is your source?

I've walked quite a bit all my life since I was a child, mostly due to necessity rather than exercise. But now as a senior over sixty, I still walk miles per day doing usual errands and chores, and walking my dog in the park.
On top of that I voluntarily go to the gym several times a week and do various exercises including walking on a treadmill, today was 3+ miles @ 3mph. So add me to the dittos and me toos! :yes:

Add me to the exercisers as well !
I can’t walk as far as I used to be able to do, plus I live in an area where it is not really safe to be out walking around alone; but I do get 1-2 miles per day, just with my normal activities. Plus, we go to the fitness center almost every day, and I swim for 1/2-3/4 of a mile; so I do get my exercise.
I think that with so many of the Medicare Advantage plans offering the Silver Sneakers or Silver and Fit options as part of the package, more seniors are exercising than they did before we had that option.
Naturally, there are those seniors who prefer to just sit around and watch television, but I think that a lot of us do realize how important it is to take care of our health while we still have it.

What I’ve discovered is that exercise really is important perhaps even more so as we age and I think to add a fitness membership to a medical insurance plan is a really smart move . I’ve discovered that regular exercise gets rid of arthritic pain better than anything else. It not only burns excess fat and tone muscles but it also strengthens bones which is especially needed and helps keep a positive frame of mind. I can’t help but notice the positive effect working out has on my mental well being and I am so happy I’m keeping active.

Way to go Happyflowerlady. We share the joy of long distance swimming. Nice to see you posting again.

I don't purposely work out but from the time my feet hit the floor in the morning until about 7 pm in the evening I am on the move. I sit down for a few minutes for breakfast and lunch and about a 1/2 hour for supper. I'm up and down the basement steps 3 or 4 times a day. In the summer I garden and do yard work. My knees ache but it rarely keeps me from what I want to do. Just takes a bit longer sometimes.

I just read 3.5% of Americans walk a minimum of 21 minutes daily and those over 60 only 2% do it.

Plus, walking for most people is not 'exercise'. That walk needs to be 'brisk', where your heart rate is raised significantly. There aren't many people, seniors or not, who really push themselves to the point where they get a true cardio workout. Walking an hour a day is better than nothing, but running for 30 minutes a day is infinitely better, or walking on a treadmill at a major incline.

I'd say that some are not exercising, not we. Actually I think your statistics are awfully low Fmdog, what is your source?

Here is from HHS:

• Only one in three children are physically active every day.[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • Less than 5% of adults participate in 30 minutes of physical activity each day;[SUP]2[/SUP] only one in three adults receive the recommended amount of physical activity each week.[SUP]3[/SUP]
  • Only 35 – 44% of adults 75 years or older are physically active, and 28-34% of adults ages 65-74 are physically active.[SUP]4[/SUP]
  • More than 80% of adults do not meet the guidelines for both aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities, and more than 80% of adolescents do not do enough aerobic physical activity to meet the guidelines for youth.[SUP]5[/SUP]
[SUP]
To me (I work out 2 hours a day, 5 days a week at age 68), the issue is the lack of meeting 'guidelines'. People confuse walking with their buddies as real exercise. It's not until you have prolonged periods of having your heart rate significantly raised. And you need to be lifting weights 3-4 days a week for bone strength. You can start by doing a minimum of 50-100 squats a day, without holding weights, to start working both your legs and your heart (and yes, I do twice that holding 15 pound weights in each hand). And for the record, I was never an athlete. It's all about true, real, personal fitness.
[/SUP]

I've got several friends that run in marathons

I don't run, and I can't say I walk, but...I do hike, up and down hills, thru the woods
Love it, and what I chance to see
actually, curiosity sends me out there....the hike just happens

anyway

here's what I sent my running friends

JGFyN3T.jpg

I'm not American, but I walk a lot..or should I say I did until then end of last summer when I'd clearly done some damage after years of mountain walking , and now I have big problems with my hip and knees. However I still walk as much as I'm able , and I have physio every week on my legs, and take water aerobic classes for an hour each week at the local indoor pool, so hopefully before long I'll be back to normal...

Plus, walking for most people is not 'exercise'. That walk needs to be 'brisk', where your heart rate is raised significantly. There aren't many people, seniors or not, who really push themselves to the point where they get a true cardio workout. Walking an hour a day is better than nothing, but running for 30 minutes a day is infinitely better, or walking on a treadmill at a major incline.
If you walked with me you’d soon discover that it is, indeed exercise. :yes:

I'm not American, but I walk a lot..or should I say I did until then end of last summer when I'd clearly done some damage after years of mountain walking , and now I have big problems with my hip and knees. However I still walk as much as I'm able , and I have physio every week on my legs, and take water aerobic classes for an hour each week at the local indoor pool, so hopefully before long I'll be back to normal...
I had no idea about this hollydolly. How very unfortunate .
Water Aerobics is an excellent choice of exercise for physio. I tried to get my parents interested in water aerobics classes geared for seniors after my father had his knee surgery but they weren’t interested. To this day I truly think it would have been a huge help especially considering he did no physio after surgery.

I wish you a speedy recovery so you may walk as you’d like.

I don't walk a ton because I don't have time and my arthritic knee would protest, but I do yoga everyday and it's truly life changing. So add me to those who do exercise daily. :sentimental: Still like to hike too but take easier trails. :love_heart:

I'm a life long walker,take 3 walks/day weather permitting
Its my mode of transportation since I never felt comfortable behind the wheel
If I'm going somewhere too far to walk,I take the bus

I am exercising.
I walk for half an hour in the morning, this makes me feel fresh and enthusiastic for the whole day. In addition to this, I do on treadmill for 20 minutes, 4 days within a week. I also do cardio for 20 minutes, 3 days within a week. Along with this, I prefer swimming and dancing.

I walk from my car through the parking lot.
You can always park further away but no one wants to.
They will get the closest spot to the gym to avoid walking.

I don't "walk" a lot, but any day that the weather permits I'm outdoors for a few hours doing yard work, gardening, chainsawing, etc., etc. So far, that seems to be working, as I've held a steady weight, waist size, etc., for years. I have to be a little careful about lifting heavy objects, due to a bit of arthritis, but that's understandable. Data at the CDC clearly shows that the biggest "health" issue is Obesity-with all its Side effects....and excessive weight accounts for at least 1/3rd of our nations health problems and costs. Anything a person can do for exercise is good, and can make a substantial difference in their lives as they age.

I go cycling just about everyday unless it is awful weather. I am extremely into fitness and have been since I was in my teens. If the weather is bad I use the stationary bike in my home. My health and body is too important to waste away.

I try and walk everyday and use a cardio machine and 3 pound weights. I had been walking twice a day last year but now its once a day. My neighbors little gang of 5 white looking curly haired dogs comes running out at my dogs. My boston terrier is okay because they are the same size. But my rescue mountain cur does not like the gang running up behind and stalking us 1/4 of the way. She wants to get them so this makes me distressed to hold her back. She doesnt care for orher dogs to ne around me anyway. Its the dogs she doesnt like. No agression towards humand. So I go around the other direction and about a 1/3 block length away from those dogs house I turn back around and walk home. She is getting better about not barking at dogs walking by but still has that edge about her. The 3 pound weights are enjoyable and have strengthened my arms so much. The best benefit is my back no longer hurts. 😀

Back