We love travelling abroad

I found a great travel company that has very reasonable tours and they're the ones I use for places like India and Morocco. It's nice to have everything taken care of for me and since, at my age, I'm probably not going to be back again, I like to cover as much as possible. I do well on my own in Europe.

We may have crossed paths in our travels as I use the same agency! I, too, now prefer the convenience of porter services to be included with my travel along with other addl services. The old bod can't take too much lugging stuff around any more.

Oh, I love European trains in spite of scruffy stations and believe all is as safe as can be possibly be made. As for universal treatment of Americans, we have brought all bad stuff on ourselves.
I can’t say that. We have traveled around some, not a lot, but we have been treated nicely. I don’t expect anyone to roll out the red carpet, but when we were in London a few years back, we were treated really well. In Paris, not so much, but I can’t say we were treated badly, either. In other parts of France, we were treated better and the trip out to the beaches of Normandy was fantastic. We were only in one city in Germany, Hamburg, and again, we were shown kindness.

I did take notice to one thing that stood out. The people in France and Germany were very appreciative that we tried using some of their language. We tried to do that using the Google Translator.

I've traveled abroad extensively over the years, yes in a wheelchair and have never had any major problems. I've found people in other countries to generally be kind and helpful. Maybe the wheelchair has helped - who knows?

Don't always expect people in other countries to speak your language or share your values and opinions and never try to force your values or opinions on them. Respect culture and tradition even if it seems strange. And as oldman says, learning a few basic words and phrases will be helpful and almost always bring a smile even if you make a mess of pronouncing the words.

I've always found the following to be true in my travels:

Treat other people as you would expect to be treated

Back