Weather radar tracks swarm of dragonflies

Marie5656

An enormous mystery cloud has baffled US meteorologists this week who spotted the shape stretching over parts of Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania, but saw no rainfall.
The National Weather Service spotted the “conundrum”, and suggested it could be a swarm of “bugs”, however the altitude was so high, they were initially sceptical such a massive number of creatures could be flying so high.
NWS Wakefield said on Twitter: “No rain around the region with decent returns on radar. Usually we’d think we’re seeing bugs. Dual polarization radar products argue otherwise and some of these returns are above 10,000ft”.
COMPLETE ARTICLE

Wow! I've seen numbers of them together around certain lake areas over the years, but never a big swarm. I always wondered if they sting people, I never had a bad encounter with one.

Yep! We have seen the swarms of dragonfies here in WV too. Someone said they were migrating? Not sure about that?
They are fast, agile fliers, sometimes migrating across oceans, and often live near water. They have a uniquely complex mode of reproduction involving indirect insemination, delayed fertilization, and sperm competition. During mating, the male grasps the female at the back of the head, and the female curls her abdomen under her body to pick up sperm from the male's secondary *******ia at the front of his abdomen, forming the "heart" or "wheel" posture.

Back