Well My BMI Has Grown

Don't worry it happens in the best of families.

Troll+bmi_36a86f_4042747.jpg

Does it matter? I do wonder whether all this health monitoring is taken a bit too far. An annual MOT can spot any potential problems, and advice given, but I think we are being turned into hypochondriacs.

I'm obese, but have been for most of my life. My doctor is impressed that my BP, cholesterol, and glucose levels are all within low- to normal-limits for my age.

I'm on the smallest doses of HCTZ and lovastatin possible, and no changes in 10 yrs. Our HMO uses digital records so I can not only look up older tests to compare, you can click a button and it will do a graphic chart of your last 5 yrs test results that makes it super-easy to see how you're doing.

I do keep watch on my glucose levels as diabetes Type 2 afflicts my maternal family as they get older. So far, so good.

Can't comment about BMI, but I have noticed that my belt has shrunk by about 2 notches. Can't shrink anymore, or I have to buy a new one.

Does it matter? I do wonder whether all this health monitoring is taken a bit too far. An annual MOT can spot any potential problems, and advice given, but I think we are being turned into hypochondriacs.
please forgive me but, i am not good with all of today's abbreviations. what is mot? i think it is interesting that my doctor wants me to go on a diet and he is larger than i am. :LOL:
i also do not understand how it is that almost everyone now is in need of those c-pap machines and almost everyone is diabetic. i feel like they are looking for an excuse to force medication and equipment on us that is not necessary. in the old days one got fat and one died. end of story.

please forgive me but, i am not good with all of today's abbreviations. what is mot? i think it is interesting that my doctor wants me to go on a diet and he is larger than i am. :LOL:
i also do not understand how it is that almost everyone now is in need of those c-pap machines and almost everyone is diabetic. i feel like they are looking for an excuse to force medication and equipment on us that is not necessary. in the old days one got fat and one died. end of story.
I don't know what MOT is either. Assuming it's a British term for a physical exam.

Lots of doctors offer advice that falls under the category of "Do as I say, not as I do." Come to think of it, plenty of the non-medical worlds does that, too. Non college graduates urge younger people to stay in school and people with financial struggles urge others to save their money.

It's true that in the old days people got fat and died, end of story. However, if they'd had access to insulin, c-pap machines, cholesterol reducing meds and other medical advances, most would likely have chosen to stick around a little longer.

A person must feel real stupid when they're dying of something they could have controlled, like food intake, etc.

The CDC Health statistics clearly show that Obesity, and it's side effects, are the number one cause of health problems. Poor eating habits, and a sedentary lifestyle are taking a toll on the populations health....even among the young. I've lost a couple of good friends, over the past few years, whose primary problem was their increasingly large bellies...which caused their calendar to be filled with nothing but doctor appointments.

Back