Were or are you a square now or then?

Victor

The opposite of square is cool. By todays hipness lingo I am square. Until I was about 40 I was cool.
All old people, are considered old fashioned squares by youth and general public. What about you?
Kids today dont know the word square, but everyone knows cool. A very under valued attitude and lifestyle, influential in the West cultures. Rock and soul music, some movies, new fashions, cars , slang, cool art, marijuana
. When I began listening to old classic country on radio, I realized that I didn't care that it was not cool.
Back then, country was, corny, old fashioned hick to my generation. No one knew that the Beatles, Stones and other hot groups
appreciate and are influenced by "uncool" stars like Buck Owens.

I don't know if I was cool or square growing up. I did have a lot of friends I was raised in the City. There were over 20 kids my age on my street alone. I had a lot of friends in school too. Now at my age except for my old friends and many cousins on my Mom's side of the family, I don't mingle much with new people.

Doubt I was ever considered a square, grew up in a big city with many different people who were pretty cool. Like Pinky, I never followed any crowds or trends, but even in my old age, I can humbly say I'm still pretty cool, open minded and welcoming to current music and styles. Cool in a mellow way.

Not sure if "cool" fits, but I was popular in grade school and very popular in high school. But not so much in college, though, because I didn't play sports or join any clubs, ignored every party invitation, and I had a family and a job so I always went straight home after classes.
I didn't go to college till i was in my mid 40s. Constantly had young'uns asking me how i got the grades i did, how i studied. They knew i had a hubby and 3 kids at home. But it was the 90's and quite a few of us 'Nontraditional' students as the University referred to us were around.

I didn't go to college till i was in my mid 40s. Constantly had young'uns asking me how i got the grades i did, how i studied. They knew i had a hubby and 3 kids at home. But it was the 90's and quite a few of us 'Nontraditional' students as the University referred to us were around.
Yeah, I was in my 30s and already balding pretty dearly, and sometimes dressed in my work clothes. Plus, I was really focused on my studies.

Today's young people aren't cool as defined by us boomers. Their music sounds like and much of it is synthesized and stripped of any heart, soul, and grit it might contain. There's nothing "cool" about that. Some of our music from the '60s-'80s contained synthesizers for effect, but otherwise it was people generated — not computer generated. Another popular genre played by young people today is sappy, boring, elevator music sounding drivel that my parents would have liked. It's squaresville, man. Pure crapolla.

That said, I've been cool at various times in my life, but I've also had bad anxiety, which isn't cool, or square... it's just f'ed up.

Back