What’s the coolest animal you’ve seen in the wild?

Looks like an Albino Burmese. And keeping him fed is a chore.
That's exactly what it is and he allows it to roam about the house. for a few hours in the evening. I have another friend that ha s a female lion that he has the garage all fixed up for her, but he brings her into the house for about 15 minutes or so each day to make her socialized. He had ti get a special license to keep her in the house. She seems really calm, but I keep reminding myself that she is a wild animal and to keep my distance. My friend keeps urging me to pet the lioness. No way!

What’s the coolest animal you’ve seen in the wild?​

I am right partial to Bears so I would say Black Bears. I see, smell and hear them all the time in the woods around my house. The wildlife in my area love that hill. I have images of bear, bobcat, deer, turkey, foxes, raccoon, opossum, and squirrels that hang around on it. Here are some game cam images from up on that hill behind my house.

the three bears.jpg

big bear.jpg

large bear.jpg

Last edited:
That golden trout was a wonderful "cool" creature. And here is another also snow "cool".

KF0785.jpg

KF0789.jpg

In August 2012, quickly captured this Yosemite toad, anaxyrus canorus, flash image as she climbed over a stick. Then I tried for a face on view but she would not keep still. Toads are such vulnerable little creatures I have always felt a heartfelt liking for. As a child, I found they became afraid when we giants picked up their cool soft bodies. One can sometimes hear tiny squeaks of fear coming out of their mouths and if handled they may pee from fright on your hand. I would never hurt such a gentle creature but wanted a shot so cupped my fingers around her so she could not move. The first couple of time as soon as I lifted my finger cage, she began trying to flee. Then maybe sensing I was holding her softly and wanted her to stay there paused long enough for this head on shot showing her concerned expression. I stroked her head gently and we moved away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_toad

Yosemite toads are explosive breeders (breeds within a short time period), migrating to breeding pools and flooded areas in late spring while snowbanks still veil the frozen meadows. They have been termed the "toad that stays on its toes" or "tiptoeing toad" due to their habit of crossing snowdrifts without touching their abdomen to the cold snow. Breeding time varies greatly with elevation and yearly snowpack (April to July), and depends on timing of snowmelt. Males arrive to breeding ponds synchronously when the meadow is ca. 50% covered in snow. Depending on the population density they will either join a breeding chorus by making an advertisement call to females, or will actively search for them. Their vocalization is a high-pitched, sonorous trill lasting an average of 2.6 seconds and repeated frequently. Males intermittently call from pool margins, under logs, or inside willows to attract females. When females arrive, they are immediately grasped in amplexus by one or multiple males as the males fight for a limited number of mating opportunities.

CA_condor_GCNP.jpg
While walking my 103-pound Alaskan malamute near my home, a bobcat just 20 feet away — (Boy, that dog wanted a piece of that cat! Never felt a dog pull so hard.)

While vacationing in Wyoming, a bald eagle perched in a tree — (Great because my kids got to see it, too.)

While climbing in Grand Teton NP, a bear cub — (A panic moment because 10 seconds later, my climbing partner and I spotted mama, and we were between mother and child.)

While sightseeing at the Grand Canyon, a California condor soaring over the abyss — (I got lucky and managed to get a photo with my DSLR.)

While hiking in the mountains in Japan, a monkey that seemed to be stalking me — (Another panic moment because my aging eyes at first tried to convince me that it was a mountain lion. Same size, same color, long tail.)

I found a Rubber Boa snake in the Sierra Nevada mountains when I was about 10. I was never so thrilled. I did put it back :)

large.jpg

Nothing cool just scary for my wife. We were at a camp ground in Kissimmee, Florida. Middle of the night my wife needs to go to the bathroom. Rather than use the toilet in our motor home she decides to use the one in the KOA camp ground.

She came back within a few seconds trembling in fear. She saw a huge rat about the size of a small dog slowly walking across the parking pad next to us. I looked to see the huge rat. That was her 1st. time ever seeing an armadillo.

Nothing cool just scary for my wife. We were at a camp ground in Kissimmee, Florida. Middle of the night my wife needs to go to the bathroom. Rather than use the toilet in our motor home she decides to use the one in the KOA camp ground.

She came back within a few seconds trembling in fear. She saw a huge rat about the size of a small dog slowly walking across the parking pad next to us. I looked to see the huge rat. That was her 1st. time ever seeing an armadillo.
To be honest, I wouldn't know either.

Bears and moose, but the "coolest" was when i was sleeping in Yosemite and woke to something cold touching my nose. I opened my eyes and IT WAS A DEER TOUCHING NOSES WITH ME!
That's amazing, about the deer!

Years back, we were driving along a narrow road in Northern New Hampshire when a moose burst out of the woods, fell into step alongside the car, and galloped along next to us for several miles. Another time, we were in the same area on Interstate 93 when a huge bear started ambling across the highway, taking his time.

Here in Florida I've seen some really interesting birds, my granddaughter is teaching me their names, but the best was a huge alligator strolling along the lake shore at dawn - fortunately, I was safely ensconced on my second floor porch!

Although I did respond early on to this thread I now think the coolest animal that I have seen in the wild was a rhinoceros in Kenya.

He was in the process of being introduced into a region where rhinos had been wiped out by hunting when it was still legal and by subsequent poaching for their horn.

He was a young male and was guarded 24/7 by pairs of native wildlife rangers to prevent him also being killed by poachers. They were armed with serious looking rifles because the poachers would have had no qualms about shooting the rhino's guardians.

I was able to stand within about 30 feet of him while he grazed calmly because he was so accustomed to his protectors. I felt a thrill of wonderment that I could be so close to such an awesome beast and I hoped that when his 'wives' arrived they would be successful at repopulating that part of Kenya.

Back