What Are Profile Posts?

This is a great question. On the old forum, we had "Visitor Messages", it's a bad name, it sounds like an out-dated guestbook.

On the new forum it's called "Profile Post", still not a good name but better. You can use it to update your status, like on Facebook. As you know, social networks have been very popular and taking over the Internet, xenForo has been trying to make the forum software more social by learning from FB.

You can post anything you like as profile posts, it's your personal space, you have complete control over your profile posts, delete or edit without time limit. For example, you can post something like:

I don't feel like posting today.
Or
I will leave town for the next two days.
Or
I'm out of here. (no, not this one)

Such posts may not be appropriate to be posted as forum threads.

So, anyone who cares about you can know why you haven't posted by checking your profile page, like checking a friend's FB account.

Many xenForo forums disabled profile posts because their members didn't know how to use them, after I saw @hollydolly used it perfectly, I was encouraged and added it back to the sidebar.

Please note:

1. Profile posts are public, do not use them as private conversations.
2. You can post anything you like, but if you want other members to participate to make a hot topic, then you should post it as a forum thread.

@Marie5656 , visit member profile pages, you can see their profile posts, just post your message there, either start a new one or comment on existing profile posts.

To write on my profile posts, hover your mouse on my avatar, a small window with some basic info about me will popup, then click on my username, you will reach my profile page.

I can see how the profile posts can be useful in some instances, and thanks Matrix for explaining this to us.

Just my opinion, but for me I didn't use visitor messages much at all on the old forum, just sent someone a PM (conversation) if I wanted to tell or ask them something (one on one). Even light topics like 'I hurt my knee today', I would post on the forum and not in a Visitor Message (Profile Post), but that's just me.

I also preferred that someone who may be wondering where I am could go to my profile page and see if I posted a Visitor Message about a vacation or something, rather than have my Profile Posts announced in the New Posts area of the homepage, to me they are two different things.

I know, I'm more private and more 'old-school' in my forum usage, that's probably one of the reasons I never cared to join fb or twitter. Figured I'd give my view even if it's not popular....sorry, just keepin' it real. :cool:

Click on someone's user name under their avatar, click the name again on the small pop up window that appears. On the left side you'll see Profile Posts, click there to post one.

So how do I send a private message? I tried to do that the other day and it ended up a profile post. This is all very complicated.

A private message is called a conversation here. On the top right side, beside your name, is an envelope icon. Just click that and it will say 'start a conversation'. When you receive a message back, the envelope will light up RED.

So how do I send a private message? I tried to do that the other day and it ended up a profile post. This is all very complicated.
Just hover your mouse over the other person's avatar and click on Start Conversation.

Looks like a Conversation (PM) allows you to edit your message after you post it. In the old forum, if you made a mistake or wanted to add something, you'd have to send an additional PM.

@CJHHI29928 , you asked a question in a profile post here today. This thread describes the difference between writing a Profile Post to another member, which is public and can be seen on the right side of the forum page.....and a Conversation, which is a private message that cannot be viewed by others who are not involved.

Please use this Forum Support and Suggestions section if you need help using the forum or have any more questions. Thanks!

Just hover your mouse over the other person's avatar and click on Start Conversation.

Looks like a Conversation (PM) allows you to edit your message after you post it. In the old forum, if you made a mistake or wanted to add something, you'd have to send an additional PM.
There is no option to start a conversation when I hover over an avatar. I am on a laptop so not sure if that has any bearing. Thanks

Exactly, I cant find any interaction with the "conversations" little envelope option. My only way I can find to communicate directly with a member is to post on their profile. I am new here so just trying to figure it all out.

Hover your mouse over my User Name under my avatar, directly above (or below) you will see Start Conversation, just move your mouse arrow up a bit and click on it. You can also start a conversation by going to someone's Profile Page.

Last edited:
Hover your mouse over my User Name under my avatar, directly above (or below) you will see Start Conversation, just move your mouse arrow up a bit and click on it. You can also start a conversation by going to someone's Profile Page.
I just hovered over your avatar and it shows ''conversation'' next to ignore, but when I hovered over CJHHI29928 there is no ''conversation'' next to ignore.

I agree Gardenlover and CrackerJack, I think Matrix had put a grace period on new members engaging in conversations, not sure offhand what the time limit is though.

Back