What are some "scary things" to you?

ANDME

I am afraid of elevators, flying on planes, large bodies of water. and heights. Most people have no problem with these phobias, I just wonder why I do? But what scares me the most is old age and not being able to do for myself. The other phobias I could handle, but old age is the one I fear the most. Do you think fear is helpful or harmful? Why? All people fear something. What are some "scary thing" to you?

I'm afraid of what just happened last night & again this morning:
My elevator button for my floor, 4th, is broken. No signs of warning on the elevator doors. Had to go to 5th, laden with packages, walk down. This morning a neighbor assisted me. Now I am marooned in my apt. till this gets fixed. I've developed a fear of walking down stairs, not up. Feel more likely to fall going down.

That and becoming more pathetic physically as I age.

I not fear old age because it is the part of the life cycle. Being a senior citizen is kind of an accomplishment. I don't fear a lot, but it is very challenging dealing with the loss of loved one's, and failing health. Difficult not frightening. I do not think that I like being paralyzed or so scarred I can not act. No I won't let it get that far.

The only thing that scares me is becoming dependent on someone else. I have handled a lot of scary things in my lifetime but being dependent is something I do not believe I could accept.
My Dad committed suicide because of failing health and eyesight. He also didn't want to be taken care of. Maybe there is some way that this too can be worked out in the future. I hope so.

I fear nothing. Everything fears me.
I make coffee by grinding the beans with my teeth & boiling the water with my rage.
I have a Grizzly Bear rug in my living room. The bear isn't dead; it's just afraid to move.
Every morning, I do 100 pushups. I don't lift myself up; I push the earth down.
I make onions cry.
I stared at a Rattlesnake & it wet itself.
Ghosts sit around a campfire, telling stories about me.
The lower urinal in men's bathrooms is not for children; it's for me.

Last edited:
Do you think fear is helpful or harmful?
Fear is helpful as it keeps us safe.

Irrational fear is harmful as it makes part of life unnecessarily uncomfortable.

I have an irrational fear of spiders, worms and other creepy crawlies whether harmless or not. Maybe disgust is part of it.

I also fear walking outside at night, and great heights. I am also afraid of the Statue of Liberty!

Having been shot at and cut during my time in Nam, not much scares me anymore. That said, I still want to avoid sharks, lightening and I'm real leery of train crossings.
Thinking about this a bit more, I'll say that losing my wife would be the top of my list.
Thank you for your service! I have always had a special place in my heart for those who served! God Bless....be happy

I'm afraid of what just happened last night & again this morning:
My elevator button for my floor, 4th, is broken. No signs of warning on the elevator doors. Had to go to 5th, laden with packages, walk down. This morning a neighbor assisted me. Now I am marooned in my apt. till this gets fixed. I've developed a fear of walking down stairs, not up. Feel more likely to fall going down.

That and becoming more pathetic physically as I age.
I can relate to the "down" stairs. I have no trouble going on "up" escalators, but prefer an elevator when going "down". If a store doesn't have an elevator, I'm pretty much a white knuckle rider when I go down.

I not fear old age because it is the part of the life cycle. Being a senior citizen is kind of an accomplishment. I don't fear a lot, but it is very challenging dealing with the loss of loved one's, and failing health. Difficult not frightening. I do not think that I like being paralyzed or so scarred I can not act. No I won't let it get that far.
I care for someone who is paralysed and cannot do anything for himself , he was once so active…….
you quote…..”no I won’t let it get that far “
there would be nothing you could do about it surely , !

I'm always afraid to answer this question, because I think it will be used against me. Seriously.

I do have a fear of winding mountain highways with a sheer dropoff on one side and a big, fast-moving vehicle behind me. I tell people about this because I want to avoid such roads if I can.

But they always say something like, "No, it's pretty flat from here on." Does this look pretty flat to you? I'm stuck here forever. No way am I driving this hill again.

Back