What Brand of Shampoo Do You Use?

Ruthanne

SF VIP
This might seem like a trite topic but I am looking for a new shampoo. My hair tends to get oily fast. I have tried Wen and that didn't work for me. It made my hair greasy every time I used it. I didn't want to go around looking that way. lol I am willing to spend a little extra on shampoo if it's good.

The Scottish bit of me says "The cheapest", but I've found that some shampoos will sting my eyes so I stick to what I know is OK.
The trouble is that there are too many choices. If I'm looking for a shampoo and an assistant asks if they can help, I ask "Have you got anything for a balding old hippie?".

Not much use making suggestions and the brands will be different in the UK.

We've been using Suave Tropical Coconut Shampoo and Suave Green Apple Conditioner for years. It's cheap, but it smells good and does the job. I've tried other brands like Pantene, and natural shampoos from the health food store, but haven't found any I loved.

k2-_1b53fe74-7672-44bb-be02-7eff5608bc75.v1.jpg

I use Loreal or John Frieda shampoo and conditioner. Both work well for my long hair.

Those are both great too. Besides needing moisture and detangling I buy by fragrance. If it's a brand I don't know I have to open the bottle for a whiff. Interesting that Suave is inexpensive but smells really good. IMHO the winner for great smelling hair is Herbal Essence.

This might seem like a trite topic but I am looking for a new shampoo. My hair tends to get oily fast. I have tried Wen and that didn't work for me. It made my hair greasy every time I used it. I didn't want to go around looking that way. lol I am willing to spend a little extra on shampoo if it's good.

I am surprised people even try Wen. Guess they don't know what a wen is. What I don't know is why it was named that in the first place. I'd as soon use a shampoo called Carbuncle or Cyst! lol

I use Suave. I like the clear ones best. It gets my hair clean and leaves it that way even overnight. I have oily fine hair so it loses body really easy -- Suave works really well for me.

Something I learned in high school more than 50 years ago: shampoo can only do ONE thing for your hair and that is to make it clean. It can't "repair" your hair, can't grow more hair, can't grow thicker hair. It can only clean your hair.

What shampoo you use is a matter of personal choice. If you have dry hair, choose a shampoo for dry hair; if oily hair, choose a shampoo for oily hair.

And a tip: if your hair is oily and you shampoo often (like every day! or more than once a week), shampoo will remove the oiliness. What happens then is that your scalp isn't oily enough so produces more oil. It's a vicious cycle that will never end unless you end it!

As for price, whatever is cheapest that you like is just fine. Expensive shampoo won't do anything more for your hair than cheap shampoo.

I dated a guy for awhile in college who used bar soap on his hair. He had lank, dull hair that might have had body but since he used bar soap, no one could tell.

Shampoo is formulated to clean hair and, hopefully, bring out any natural shine, like an animal's coat. Bar soap may clean skin perfectly well, but it does hair no favors.

I am surprised people even try Wen. Guess they don't know what a wen is. What I don't know is why it was named that in the first place. I'd as soon use a shampoo called Carbuncle or Cyst! lol

I use Suave. I like the clear ones best. It gets my hair clean and leaves it that way even overnight. I have oily fine hair so it loses body really easy -- Suave works really well for me.
Wen came highly recommended to me by a lot of people I associate with. Little did I know that they all have really dry hair, though. Wen is more for dry hair. Their infomercial was really good and talked me into buying it. The ladies I know who use Wen have beautiful shiney hair. One of them told me there is a Wen for oily hair but I didn't bother trying to find it. I thought it was too expensive. I don't know what your definition of a wen is Guitarist.

I use Dermeze body wash all over. Hair and body. It has no soap and no Laurel Sulphate. My dermatologist recommended it and I have lovely thick shiny hair.

Wen came highly recommended to me by a lot of people I associate with. Little did I know that they all have really dry hair, though. Wen is more for dry hair. Their infomercial was really good and talked me into buying it. The ladies I know who use Wen have beautiful shiney hair. One of them told me there is a Wen for oily hair but I didn't bother trying to find it. I thought it was too expensive. I don't know what your definition of a wen is Guitarist.

A wen is a boil or a sebaceous cyst. It's not "my" definition. :) Check any dictionary. I think it's hilarious that the inventor of Wen shampoo didn't bother to check the definition of the word before he marketed it! Whenever I hear about it I picture people washing their hair in pus.

A wen is a boil or a sebaceous cyst. It's not "my" definition. :) Check any dictionary. I think it's hilarious that the inventor of Wen shampoo didn't bother to check the definition of the word before he marketed it! Whenever I hear about it I picture people washing their hair in pus.
I meant I didn't know what you were referring to. Geez, I don't always get my words out perfectly.

I know this is a way old thread. However, given that shampoos, cosmetics and the like do not have legal rules regarding ingredients(!), I'd like to add that we use Mercola.com shampoo and conditioner. Result:

- our aging hair no longer feels "crispy" but is now rather luxurious
- our hair looks great and can be brushed through easily

Mercola.com is run by Dr. Mercola, who formulates his own stuff.

I also have oily skin & hair. I don't know if there is a Trader Joe's in your area, but they have a citrus shampoo that's good for oily hair. It's their own brand. It works & it's cheap.
But, there is no shampoo that changes your oil production, so it won't "cure" it, but the citrus does leave hair "squeakier."

I use John Frieda ...frizz ease weightless....my hair isnt frizzy , but very curly......this is perfect for my locks ...🙂

Back