What Changes If Any, In Your Living Quarters Would You Make If You Could Afford To?

fmdog44

Just read the thread about the man living in a motel instead of a retirement home. So what changes would you make in where you live and how you live if you had more money? Let assume no more than double the present assets you have so this is not a lottery winnings question.

I would like an elevator or ground floor apartment with a washer & dryer in the apartment and a walk-in shower.

Those changes in my current location would probably allow me to age in place.

I've looked around town and have found a couple of options that have those features but I would lose access to a heated parking garage.

I'll stay where I am for now but try and be ready to make a quick move if my situation changes.

Well, I would magically change the climate to be temperate year round. . .oh wait, does that mean I'd have to move?? o_O Let's see, I live simply anyway so don't need anything more than I have, but I would like a better and more efficient heating and cooling system in my apt. My stairway would be enclosed instead of open style. And, I would have space outside to plant flowers in the ground instead of only in planters.

Would like to have just a bit of remodeling done to this big joint, without having to endure the "remodeling process" if you know what I mean. That's basically why we haven't had it done. Other than that, we love it.

Excellent topic.:)
More property for me to allow for more landscape gardening.
A bigger workshop area would come in second.
Funny thing. The other day, son was sitting in the living room and we were looking out the big windows to the rear of the property. Right outside the windows I noticed a startling thing..."grass". Ok, not startling unless you did what I did...pull out some old pics of the brickwork that I'd layed there years ago. Hadn't even noticed the grass had taken over and covered all that brick!

New project to work on, speaking of gardens. Hope its easy to pull if off!

When I was looking for a new house I wanted the biggest yard I could find and this house had 2-3 times the size yard than most other new houses. Now I wish I had a much smaller yard to care for or pay to take care of. I'd like to move the washer and dryer to the garage in case something happens my house doesn't get flooded. I need to find out the cost. Otherwise I love my 15 year old house as is.

Funny thing. The other day, son was sitting in the living room and we were looking out the big windows to the rear of the property. Right outside the windows I noticed a startling thing..."grass". Ok, not startling unless you did what I did...pull out some old pics of the brickwork that I'd layed there years ago. Hadn't even noticed the grass had taken over and covered all that brick!

New project to work on, speaking of gardens. Hope its easy to pull if off!
I love bricks but eventually weeds/grass does pop up between the bricks. The only way is to put a bed of concrete and lay the bricks on top of that.

I love bricks but eventually weeds/grass does pop up between the bricks. The only way is to put a bed of concrete and lay the bricks on top of that.
I'm ashamed to say the grass has grown completely over all the bricks...you wouldn't even know they were there. Preen works great to keep stuff from growing in the cracks, but the grass had grown over like "laid sod". I am truly repentant. Know we've got a big place with land, but I surely should have noticed that before right out our back big windows! Oh well. Now I'm wondering what is the easiest way to "uncover them"...lol.

I'm ashamed to say the grass has grown completely over all the bricks...you wouldn't even know they were there. Preen works great to keep stuff from growing in the cracks, but the grass had grown over like "laid sod". I am truly repentant. Know we've got a big place with land, but I surely should have noticed that before right out our back big windows! Oh well. Now I'm wondering what is the easiest way to "uncover them"...lol.

Burn them? And then apply chemicals when needed.

Burn them? And then apply chemicals when needed.
Good thought, Cat...hub set fire to a big pampas grass a couple years ago, then pulled it out with the Jeep and a come-along. I'm going to try using a long handled hoe in a couple days...we're having a nice little rain now, so the ground should be soft. Will let you know...lol. Thanks for the suggestion!

I would get rid of the thing that I spend the most of my time on and get a dishwasher.

Three or four times a day I am washing dishes. It's a thankless job.

And if you like to bake and cook it's even worse.

I live in an apartment and I have to buy it and have them install it. I don't get a break on the rent.

I would get rid of the thing that I spend the most of my time on and get a dishwasher.

Three or four times a day I am washing dishes. It's a thankless job.

And if you like to bake and cook it's even worse.

I live in an apartment and I have to buy it and have them install it. I don't get a break on the rent.
That's one of the frustrating things I remember from renting long ago. Seemed the apts were small and the appliance were old and most apts came with nothing more then the "basics" unless you paid through the nose for an upscale one. Even the pricey "in season" beachfront condo in Florida was like
that. It did have a dishwasher though...lol.

I'd replace all the carpeting with lovely hardwood. And fence in the backyard and put in a hot tub.
Ok, now you are in Florida, right? A "Hot Tub"? We are in the Texas coastal area and guess the only reason we might want a hot tub is for this month only??? The air outside the "tub" is cold. We found that out when going to SW Florida for the month of January for years. Its just too cold to use it- at least for us.

Please enlighten this old chick here...we might want to put that "hot tub" on our bucket list".
Thanks in advance, by the way!

A hot tub doesn't have to be heated. In the heat of summer, an unheated Jacuzzi can still sooth your muscles.

Never too cold for a hot tub, though. I've sat in a hot tub in January on Mt. Hood, Oregon with the snow coming down on my head and been in heaven. The dash from the hot tub to the indoors, though, is not a delight.

Back