What do you do for exercise? What motivates you to do it?

Ameriscot

SF VIP
Didn't see any threads on this and am wondering what everyone does to get/keep fit and healthy?

I go to the gym 3 mornings a week, and at home I do dumbbells, lunges, squats, planks, abs, etc etc. I've done a lot of research and building muscle as well as cardio exercise is very important for good health, bone density, stamina, strong heart and lungs, reducing chances of injury, etc etc. So I'll keep doing this until I simply can't any more. I'm 62 but physically feel like about 40. :)

Well, last night we: bowled 3 games, played two games of Table Tennis/Ping Pong, played tennis twice and done two rounds of 3-Point Contest Basketball......all in 1 hour on our Wii Game in the living room. Believe me, that gave us some exercise!
There are times that we will walk around our apt complex or down the street to the Goodwill.
Have a power boat that gives us exercise during the summer months.
Have a membership in a local Gun & Rifle Range and that gives us exercise.
And, walking shopping at Wal Mart gives us exercise.

We don't need a fitness center with all of that. And, a thing to always remember, past surgeries can stop people from doing to much physical stuff. We are in our mid 60's and much of the time, we feel that age. Wish we didn't, but that's just "wishful thinking". IMO

Yoga once a week; indoor bowls once a week, living in a 3-storey house....

I do my own shopping, cleaning, decorating, gardening; in pots, that's enough for me!

I do yoga every couple days and I do an intensive workout every couple days that works every muscle group to fatigue and I have a couple weights for upper body work and before each shower I do 30 push ups, 30 squats and 20 per side, lunges. And like Ameriscot I feel like I'm 40 even though I'm a few months away from 60.

Daily walks from 2 to 5 miles, gym a couple of times a week, weight machines, classes or cardio. At home I sometimes grab a hand weight and do some curls. I have exercise tapes like step aerobics, turbo-jam, but I haven't used them in years.

Things I do:
1. walk dogs 20~30 mins/day-7days/week
2. 30+ mins eliptical at gym 3 days/wk
3. weight machines 2 or 3 days/wk
4.Silver Sneakers twice a week, through the gym

Motivation: to make the "golden years" less of a bad dream come true, and to [hopefully] forestall the meeting with the grim reaper.

My motivation is not wanting to go up any more in clothes size, and wanting to avoid type 2 Diabetes, which is prevalent in my immediate family. Plus, exercise just makes me feel better overall, especially walking outdoors.

My motivations:
Health - strong heart and lungs, less chance of type II diabetes and some cancers, weight bearing exercise increases bone density, having strong abs and core means less chance of backache which can be caused by a large belly because your back is trying to support it. Exercise keeps the blood and oxygen flowing which is implicated in the prevention of alzheimers.
Stamina. I've walked up steep stairs and hills with little effort while I've seen people half my age struggling. This means an active lifestyle is more enjoyment than work instead of the other way around.
Clothes are more comfortable if I'm a healthy weight...bras especially.
I like being able to wear trousers that don't have an elastic waistband and tucking in a blouse instead of having to wear baggy tops.
Vanity is the least important of my reasons but that's okay because the benefits are my health and well being.

Debby..I ride quite a mad horse called Thor..

When you say 'mad' do you mean, lively, spirited and excitable? And is Thor a specific breed and how big is he?

I have two old horses, one a purebred Arab and the other an Arab/Thoroughbred cross. my girls are only 'mad' if I take one away from the other which is one of the reasons I gave up riding a few years ago. A panicked horse is just not something I want to be sitting on top of at my age. That's one of the problems with having only two horses and on your home property. They become so herd-bound that separation anxiety rules them. I tried for years to get them used to being apart and I always felt like I was gambling on whether or not I would get home in one piece. I think it also had something to do with breed temperament. Highly excitable.

Thor is half arab..very excitable...he belongs to a nearby stables..

He was very badly treated in his previous life..but we seem to have bonded..He rushes off at racehorse speed sometimes..jumping over gates..when we can go no further..I take his saddle and reins off..and he rolls in the grass..

When he has finished..he is perfectly calm..

He is 16 hands..

Good for you! I try and do what I can - I walk to the shops, I sometimes go for a gentle swim as this is supposed to be the best exercise if you have arthritis because of the no impact on joints.

I like to try and keep active where I can, it's what keeps me going.

There are many who go to my gym and do gentle exercise on the machines. Quite a few seniors do laps in the pool, some because they have knee or other joint problems. I have no idea how long I'll be able to keep up this intense exercise, but as long as I can, I will. Not a comparison to me, but look at Jack LaLane who was in his 90's and still fit with lots of muscle.

My sister is 2 years older than me (she's 64) and used to be an inch taller than me. Now she is an inch shorter. I've lost 1/2 inch in height, she's lost 2 1/2! She exercises but it's very wimpy and not really weight bearing exercise. She's starting to look frail. I don't want to be frail! She's not overweight at all and never has been. She eats dairy, takes calcium pills, but I'm convinced it's the lack of weight bearing exercise.

My motivations:
Health - strong heart and lungs, less chance of type II diabetes and some cancers, weight bearing exercise increases bone density, having strong abs and core means less chance of backache which can be caused by a large belly because your back is trying to support it. Exercise keeps the blood and oxygen flowing which is implicated in the prevention of alzheimers.
Stamina. I've walked up steep stairs and hills with little effort while I've seen people half my age struggling. This means an active lifestyle is more enjoyment than work instead of the other way around.
Clothes are more comfortable if I'm a healthy weight...bras especially.
I like being able to wear trousers that don't have an elastic waistband and tucking in a blouse instead of having to wear baggy tops.
Vanity is the least important of my reasons but that's okay because the benefits are my health and well being.

Reading your list of motivators makes me want to jump up off the couch and go exercise!!!!...............take a breath, think about this for a second Debby..........oh good, the urge has passed. I feel so much better now. But I have to admit that I think the teeny surge of adrenalin/enthusiasm did kind of energize me.
I feel pretty good now:playful:

Thor is half arab..very excitable...he belongs to a nearby stables..

He was very badly treated in his previous life..but we seem to have bonded..He rushes off at racehorse speed sometimes..jumping over gates..when we can go no further..I take his saddle and reins off..and he rolls in the grass..

When he has finished..he is perfectly calm..

He is 16 hands..

Half Arab huh? And a big guy to boot. I have one of those (except she's 15 hands) and you're right, excitable! Don't you just love watching that high floaty trot of a happy Arab? Like their hooves don't even touch the ground! So gorgeous aren't they?

Well happy trails Twixie, ride safe always.

Reading your list of motivators makes me want to jump up off the couch and go exercise!!!!...............take a breath, think about this for a second Debby..........oh good, the urge has passed. I feel so much better now. But I have to admit that I think the teeny surge of adrenalin/enthusiasm did kind of energize me.
I feel pretty good now:playful:

Glad I could help! LOL.

I have a large variety of exercise equipment I use quite often. Among the are shovels, hoes, picks, tillers, mowers, saws, drills, chainsaws, pitchforks, log splitters, and more. I offer free use of any of my equipment to any of you who wish to come over and use it.

I shake my head in wonder at those who hold up traffic for several minutes to get a closer parking place at walmart, then stop at the school so they can walk around the track. Or even worse, those who pay to have their lawn mowed, then pay again for gym membership so they can get some exercise.

I have a large variety of exercise equipment I use quite often. Among the are shovels, hoes, picks, tillers, mowers, saws, drills, chainsaws, pitchforks, log splitters, and more. I offer free use of any of my equipment to any of you who wish to come over and use it.

I shake my head in wonder at those who hold up traffic for several minutes to get a closer parking place at walmart, then stop at the school so they can walk around the track. Or even worse, those who pay to have their lawn mowed, then pay again for gym membership so they can get some exercise.

I laugh when I see people driving around to get a closer parking space and then go into the gym!

I live on the 3rd floor of my apartment and never use the elevator and instead use the stairs, also go for daily long walks, walk the golf course, swim several times weekly.

I live on the 3rd floor of my apartment and never use the elevator and instead use the stairs, also go for daily long walks, walk the golf course, swim several times weekly.

Stairs are great exercise! When I still lived in the US I lived on the 14th floor of an apartment building. Sometimes I'd walk up the stairs when there was a queue for the lift, or just because...

Back