What do You Do to Get Yourself out of a "Crap" Mood?

My exercise routine on the floor first. Which includes some yoga like stretches and deep breathing.
Then I ask the dog what he wants to do. he usually answers "ball game in the backyard". he always has the same answer.
After that search for something interesting on YouTube or watch sport on tv.
Then there is always something to read, if I can concentrate that is.

Tried everything today and I'm still in the old crapper mood! Playing music to help, usually does, but seems it's not working like it used to.

So What Do You Do?
One option for you is to go into detail about your bad mood on here. Then I can feel less guilty for complaining. :)_
Write big paragraphs about your pain. That helps me. Write away your crap mood! You can feel better at others expense. (im joking)

One option for you is to go into detail about your bad mood on here. Then I can feel less guilty for complaining. :)_
Write big paragraphs about your pain. That helps me. Write away your crap mood! You can feel better at others expense. (im joking)
I'd like to but don't want to bore everyone. Some seem to get irritated. I see you are joking and I'm glad! :giggle:

I'd like to but don't want to bore everyone. Some seem to get irritated. I see you are joking and I'm glad! :giggle:
Honestly, and I cant speak for everyone, I don't mind. If it bores me I will stop reading it. Do it for yourself. They don't have to read it. Start a diary maybe. I write for myself first and foremost. Get it off your chest. Cathartic is the word I think. In diaries you will notice how your moods fluctuate as does your point of view. I care less and less what others think of me online. Now I will more than likely attract some haters on here but ive gotten used to that. In fact Ive learnt that having haters is a good sign. it means you have made a stand. You are being true to yourself no matter what. If you don't have haters, you are probably hedging your bets too much. But having haters means you will almost certainly have fans. I took along time to learn this. im hardly a people pleaser anymore.

Water is so healing. Even if it's only in the shower or bath. Feeling the warm water pressure on your head, neck, back, the warm temperature. The clean fresh feeling of the soap and massage of the wash cloth.

I swim in an outdoor pool alone (always available before noon and at sunset). It's so quiet and I start without any purpose of exercise....but rather the purpose of relaxation and gratitude. I start with a leisurely breast stroke. I feel the sun on my face, the freedom of weightlessness in the water, the contrast of warmth from the sun and the cooling water. I float on my back with my eyes closed and just rest as I feel weightless. I feel gratitude for all of God's creation, the quietude, the birds singing in the trees and variety of birds landing on the fence, the landscape, the sky, sunset, sunrise, leaves in the breeze. In the deep end I tread water slowly as I'm aware of the ripples and water-resistance movement around me and then I slowly stretch every part from my ankles to my neck. It sounds strange but I can even run in the water or ride an imaginary bike, do any sport movements without any impact...even better than low impact exercise. And if I speed it up I can get a work out (which, more often than not, I do because I'm rarely in a bad mood since retirement so don't need all the time spent on healing).

Last edited:
I get into some project that requires strenuous physical exertion. That works, about 90% of the time. If I'm still feeling bummed, I'll get into a good book or fire up my bass guitar rig, and play some tunes. Also, I get into the kitchen, and cook up some gourmet, vegan grub. A great meal really lifts my spirits, especially when I'm the chef. My bad moods usually last a few hours. That's it.

Last edited:
Water is so healing. Even if it's only in the shower or bath. Feeling the warm water pressure on your head, neck, back, the warm temperature. The clean fresh feeling of the soap and massage of the wash cloth.

I swim in an outdoor pool alone. It's so quiet and I start without any purpose of exercise....but rather the purpose of relaxation and gratitude. I start with a leisurely breast stroke. I feel the sun on my face, the freedom of weightlessness in the water, the contrast of warmth from the sun and the cooling water. I lay on my back with my eyes closed and just rest as I feel weightless. I feel gratitude for all of God's creation, the quietude, the birds singing in the trees and variety of birds landing on the fence, the landscape, the sky, sunset, sunrise, leaves in the breeze. In the deep end I tread water slowly as I'm aware of the ripples and water-resistance movement around me and then I slowly stretch every part from my ankles to my neck. It sounds strange but I can even run in the water or ride an imaginary bike, do any sport movements without any impact...even better than low impact exercise.
That all sounds so relaxing! Wish I had a pool but I do have a tub..lol..thanks for your post. 💗 🌹 :)

Go for a walk in quiet nature if you can Ruthanne...in the woods, in the park...to the beach... ..or if you're a people person go where lots of people are and people watch!! Take your phone or camera and take pics of either one..nature or people!! perhaps drive to somewhere beautiful and just take in the loveliness of it all ..it's what I do...

Photography and music are my passion... so I can cheer myself up with either of those... but sometimes the only thing that can help is sharing your problems and getting people's advice, so you don't get everything enlarged and out of proportion in your head. Ignore the naysayers!!

if you can't do any of that, try exercise, it's a great wellbeing booster..people don't really realise just how much it does for your mood!

Hope you feel better soon... 🥰

Oh yes, I love the Pointer Sisters too. they're bound to put a smile on your face. I have them on my playlist that I use for exercising, energizing, and mood uplifting. Specifically on there right now are two from the Pointer Sisters:
1. "Goldmine"
2. "Jump (For My Love)"
3. I'm adding "Neutron Dance" right now! (thanks @Aunt Bea )

its hard sometimes to get out of it ' especially if somebody has made u so angry '
my self I need distraction so I find a tv film to watch mostly so I dont have to think!
if not I do adult shading books calms me so much … or if all fails -- chocolate lol....

I'm sure you've read Desiderata but a reminder is always helpful:

GO PLACIDLY amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans...Exercise caution...for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

By Max Ehrmann © 1927
Original text

Back