What does a Covid Thanksgiving look like?

needshave

We typically have Thanksgiving with My wife's folks and the rest of her family and their families. This past June we lost my father in law and now of course we have all of the Covid 19 concerns. The family will have a rough family holiday. It's difficult to expect the family to travel long distances to be at home with all the travel concerns and potential health risks, it's difficult to not be with the Mother in law with the loss of her husband and the kids father during the holiday. We personally lost a customer at the age of 52 to Covid 19, and we take the virus very seriously. So the family is already trying to wrestle this problem for the welfare of all, but it's very difficult. I know it's early, but what are your plans?

Last edited:
saturday_toon.jpg

Our son with DS loves Thanksgiving probably more than Xmas. He is a foodie guy. It’s a big thanksgiving week for him. He would have thanksgiving meal at his work place, a restaurant. Then at his sheltered workplace. Then at group home providers main office. Then out to eat with us at our favorite place for the meal.

Then, his favorite aide, has him over to her families Thanksgiving meal. A large Hispanic family who welcome him over. Thanksgiving with our friend and his large family. I tell him we are his “token” white people to prove he is not prejudice. He tells us we are only allowed to come if we bring our DS son, who they love 😂.

Our sons life, during this holiday, is filled with all the people he loves and all food he loves. He has lost all that.

Thanksgiving at his house, which we have always provided but will not be provided this year due to virus concerns by the group home. Food choices will be limited.

And our family gathering which would include my husband and me, my daughter, her husband, her two adult children, one boyfriend, and one grandchild. My son, his girlfriend, his daughter, her husband, her two children. Plus to much food to eat in a week. Gone.

This year he will come to our house and have lunch with us. He will have dinner at the group home. He is very sad, he misses everyone. We are talking to him about it.

I know everyone will struggle this year, those with families and those without. We all have our plans, our normal, which is now, for most of us, gone. But be thankful that you have the ability to understand the reason behind the disruptions in our holiday routines.

Many do not.

We don't celebrate thanksgiving here.. but we do celebrate Christmas of course... and just this morning I read in the media that Farmers are putting their Turkeys on diets, to slim them down so they're not too big for the families of 6 or less who are being allowed to gather, permitted by the government this year due to the pandemic rules

We don't celebrate thanksgiving here.. but we do celebrate Christmas of course... and just this morning I read in the media that Farmers are putting their Turkeys on diets, to slim them down so they're not too big for the families of 6 or less who are being allowed to gather, permitted by the government this year due to the pandemic rules
Well, here it’s turkey at thanksgiving and ham at Xmas. If you don’t like these meats we reject you from America and strip you of your citizenship. 😂

We are currently planning to have the family all gather at the youngest Granddaughters house for Thanksgiving....depending upon how this Virus looks as the day approaches. At a minimum, we will continue to maintain some distance, and no hugs, etc....and probably keep our masks on except when eating.

Canadian Thanksgiving is Oct 12th. Normally the meal would be on the the Sunday. I know friends would like us to come to their house. I’d really rather not; she’s so susceptible to anything. She makes me feel guilty & insists that they only get together with people like us who have been really careful. She lives to entertain her friends. We’ve just spent four days travelling so maybe I can convince her that it’s not a good idea.

TV dinners containing something that could be loosely described as turkey and stuffing? :)

Tony
That's my plan!

I'll start with a Lean Cuisine turkey with vegetables and round it out with a home-prepared cabbage salad and a sweet potato.

Dessert will be Breyers CarbSmart vanilla ice cream with SF maple syrup and a few pecans.

For me, it has almost nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with not loading up the house with too many foods that I shouldn't have.

No matter what we eat or where we eat it's a day to give sincere thanks and count our blessings.

That's my plan!

I'll start with a Lean Cuisine turkey with vegetables and round it out with a home-prepared cabbage salad and a sweet potato.

Dessert will be Breyers CarbSmart vanilla ice cream with SF maple syrup and a few pecans.

For me, it has almost nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with not loading up the house with too many foods that I shouldn't have.

No matter what we eat or where we eat it's a day to give sincere thanks and count our blessings.

Aunt Bea, consider me to be Opie, and I am on my way over! :)

Tony

appetizers_for_thanksgiving_Dressed_Up_Deviled_Eggs_Recipe[1].jpg

No clue. I cook a Thanksgiving Dinner every single year for just the hubby and I. I am getting tired of all the cooking and cleaning afterwards. Hopefully, we'll just eat deviled eggs. (y) o_O:sneaky::rolleyes:

Amazing how last year prior to Thanksgiving, one went out to the stores with ease and not fearing contracting the Covid-19; this year will be quite the opposite. But the state of Texas is still very much active with Covid cases. We will not be able to travel. <sigh>

I have a hubby who loves to eat though and I do end up cooking up a banquet for him. He weighs 160 pounds; must be nice to be able to eat like he does and not gain weight. His sister weighs about 100 lbs.

Last edited:
That's my plan!

I will have to look for that carb smart ice cream

Back