What Does Your Jurisdiction Say About Face Shields?

Damaged Goods

(See the woman on the right in the picture.) Family of four in church wore these yesterday, including two toddlers, but there was nothing under them to snugly cover their mouths or noses. also it's obviously wide open at the bottom. I used a heavier version when using the chain saw, in fact, probably still have it in the garage somewhere.

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/shields-compared-to-masks.html

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...id-19-mask-wearing-and-quarantine/5489906002/

When I am in stores requiring a mask, I see many people wearing clear face shields without a mask. Does wearing face shields without a mask covering the nose and mouth protect others or the wearer?
Face shields, which are a transparent rigid plastic barrier that covers the face from ear to ear and from forehead to the bottom of the chin, provide some protection against large droplets expelled into the environment by others from landing on the wearer’s face, particularly the eyes. While they are appealing because they provide a better view of a person’s face than cloth face masks, individuals may still come in contact with smaller droplets that make their way past the sides and bottom of a face shield. In addition, since face shields are open on the sides and bottom, they do not prevent droplets expelled by the wearer from leaking out into the environment to the same extent as masks that fit snugly on the face. For this reason, wearing a face shield alone is not recommended, but can add another layer of protection on top of a cloth face mask. For more information on face shields, see a related post on the Dear Pandemic Facebook page:
it's not enough. if i could breathe in both the mask & the face shield i'd be wearing both. but i wouldn't advise anyone go with just a face shield. people don't seem to understand that if you don't wear a mask or you wear it improperly that you are basically putting yourself & everyone around you at risk. the shield is no different than going without a mask as far as i'm concerned.

just as a side note...when they drew up our mandate...it didn't say anything about being allowed to wear just face shields. it clearly states masks.

Everyone I've seen wearing shields have also worn masks. Among the general public, the use of shields seems to have peaked here in May through mid-June and disappeared in July - and even then I'd only see a handful during a grocery outing.

They're probably still in frequent use in medical settings.

My DIL, an OT in a rehab hospital, wears a shield plus mask when working.
That's what they're doing. Many of the direct care staff has to wear both. Food service is only required fabric masks. I have the bandana ones but I only use those now when I have to do a lot of running at work & get too winded. Soon as I catch my breath...the good one with the filter goes right back on. I'll pass out before I'll run around with no mask. I wish I had a bubble I could run around in all day. Someone made a remark about a hamster ball at work one day. LOL

Went to see my surgeon and she only had face shield on. Thought that to be a little strange especially since she is in medical profession. There is a mask mandate here in Ohio so now I am really confused.

Went to see my surgeon and she only had face shield on. Thought that to be a little strange especially since she is in medical profession. There is a mask mandate here in Ohio so now I am really confused.
Education does not always equal intelligence.

Back