What Games Do You Play?

Solitaire

I've played a bit of turn 3 Klondike with unlimited passes. I enjoy figuring out the deck order and when to not play. I remember being obsessed for a few days and dreaming of playing cards.

This is my latest solitaire acquisition.

I collect “analog” games. I try to pay cost or less.....I also have a huge archived collection of games I can print out and play......I can get strangers to play Pente, Bocce, and Rummy. People around here play Rum 500.
My GF and I have recently gotten into Carrom. Our board has bigger net holes.

Our immediate family has a monthly 'game night'. We play Risk, Clue, Boggle, Chinese checkers, Monopoly and Scrabble for the most part. DW and I play Rummikub on a regular basis. I have a friend with whom we did miniature war games on a large tabletop (custom made) in the basement using hundreds of miniatures. Have not done that for a long time. I play Chess on the PC.

Our immediate family has a monthly 'game night'. We play Risk, Clue, Boggle, Chinese checkers, Monopoly and Scrabble for the most part. DW and I play Rummikub on a regular basis.

This is wonderful to hear.

I have a friend with whom we did miniature war games on a large tabletop (custom made) in the basement using hundreds of miniatures. Have not done that for a long time.

I have 28mm everywhere. Here's one of my displays.

027 (1).jpg

I've made a lot of terrain.

017.jpg

I've managed to get Heroscape to the table a few times. I love it, but it's costly to get into these days.

Dscn3481.jpg

You might enjoy Song of Blades and Heroes with your group. It's quick to set up with rocks, sticks, and toys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Blades_and_Heroes

If you'd like a fun tabletop even small kids will enjoy, you might look into Attactix figures before they go up like Heroscape did.

I play Chess on the PC.

I've played a little bit. I run into opponents who have dedicated themselves to solving the game.

Have any of you ever seen, or visited, businesses that do gaming? I've seen a few places in my travels, primarily in large cities (DC, New York, Chicago) where this is usually a hole-in-the-wall storefront that has a wall of shelves loaded with board games, and a bunch of tables/chairs in the store. They charge a small fee to come and play board games with anyone else who shows up. The games are usually scheduled ahead of time for a week or two. I came across another place in NYC that did chess only. They had some of the nicest hand-made chess sets I've ever seen.
Great, old fashioned concept IMHO. Inexpensive fun, people come to play the games drinking only coffee/pop kind of thing (no liquor), and have a group activity. We have some clubs around the Chicago area that do the same thing out of people's homes. I think those might involve 'adult beverages'.
Perhaps Nihil does this?

Perhaps Nihil does this?

There were 4 attempts at gaming halls, that I'm aware of, in my town. Each one was run by an egotist with no managerial skills. There's another group trying to start a place, but they have the same problem.

I could keep a gaming hall alive, but I don't like dealing with the business aspect.

retiredtraveler, thank you for jump starting my brain. I’m trying to get my GF to refresh her business school knowledge. I just need her to stop talking to me about it and let me handle management. lol I’ve also realized that I have a network I can activate to help get this started and going.

Chess, checkers, nine ball

Solitaire occupies my time during downloads
Heh, got up to over $20K on this solitaire game that comes with the standard computer pkg
Tough to cash in anywhere

When my dad was alive, we played checkers
He was quite good, had trophies from his serious playing days
Taught me some moves
It’s a very fast game, when played in competition

Played nine ball competitively
More enjoyable in bars, but a bit risky when playing for money

When my dad was alive, we played checkers

My dad and I would exhaust a deck playing Rum 500.

My dad, his mother, and I played Wahoo. I have our board hanging on a wall.

pic674710.jpg

Played nine ball competitively
More enjoyable in bars, but a bit risky when playing for money

I got good at 8 Ball while tending a small arcade when I was a kid. I could work my arm into the table and drop the balls for free. I've upset a couple of people with my playing.

I have to face that I’m not a person to run a business. I love managing and customers, but I don’t like business. I don’t like the paperwork, the city, business people, lawyers, and whatever mafia there is to deal with.

There are huge game nights in the big city, but I don’t have the transportation nor the inclination. There’s a guy I could game with, but I’m not into S&M, pop culture, insincerity, unhealthy eating, conservatism, and religion.

I’ll have to stick with playing board games on my laptop. I’d design a commercial game, but then I’d be in the business world.

Last edited:
I belong to club pogo. It includes all kinds of card games, word games, and some others as well.
I play gin, eucher, scrabble, spades, qwerty ( which is another form of scrabble).pinochle, Yahtzee, etc.
It passes the time very quickly. It is not expensive.

Back