What good are diuretics?

For various reasons your body can retain fluid and cause swelling. Feet and ankles are a good example. You can also retain fluids in or around internal organs, like your heart, this can be very dangerous. Diuretics pull the fluids out of all your body, so yes you need to drink to keep enough fluids to not dehydrate totally.

The diuretic furosemide has the bad rep for raising sodium while lowering potassium.

Well for me, that's a good thing. I take losartan for high blood pressure. This really keeps my BP under control but one of the side effects is that it lowers sodium while raising potassium. Solution: doc added a small dosage of furosemide and lately blood chemistry shows that both electrolytes are within normal limits. Even with the diuretic I consume lots of table salt to aid the diuretic to keep the sodium up to normal.

Crazy, eh?

I received three notices to return any unused pills to the pharmacy for a replacement, then they shorted me. I had about 41 pills left and they gave me 30. When I complained, the clerk said that was enough to get me to the next refill. The drug companies involved were Torrent and Macleods. I got two notices about Macleods and there were two different chemicals named: N-Nitrosodimethlamine (NDEA) and N-Nitro-N-Methyl-4-aminobutyric acid (NMBA).

Last edited:
The diuretic furosemide has the bad rep for raising sodium while lowering potassium.

Well for me, that's a good thing. I take losartan for high blood pressure. This really keeps my BP under control but one of the side effects is that it lowers sodium while raising potassium. Solution: doc added a small dosage of furosemide and lately blood chemistry shows that both electrolytes are within normal limits. Even with the diuretic I consume lots of table salt to aid the diuretic to keep the sodium up to normal.

Crazy, eh?Same situation here.

Back