What group did you hang out with in High School?

You have to know me, but I was only kidding about despising wrestlers. I used to kid them all the time about taking showers. It was just a kind of teasing thing.

I know you don't like cops. I've read a few of your posts. I have a friend (yes, friend) that doesn't like cops, but he likes me. You can not like the uniform, but still like the person. Just think what this country would be like if we didn't have cops.

If you say so.

I hated high school and the feeling was mutual! I had a few close friends, all of us 'misfits', and we hung out together. They were more outgoing than I was, so they had a bit wider of a social circle than I did. I have always been a loner...and still am.

I hated junior high school. Because I was stuck with a group of bloody boring kids who offered little or no intellectual stimulation. That may sound snobbish but the fact is if I was the top of the class there had to be something wrong. I became afraid to open my mouth in class because this was this cynical silence. Kids became too cool for school. I looked like a goody goody but I found the teachers far more interesting than my classmates.

I must say, my high school years were mostly happy. I was in the "In" crowd, one of the popular kids, in a lot of activities, usually had money because I worked part-time.

There were 2 sisters who were notorious bullies, and a lot of people were afraid of them. The last couple years I refused to sit at the lunch table with them or to even acknowledge them. Trust me, they did some nasty stuff. Then on graduation night, the older one came up to me grinning in my face......I looked at her as if she was something to be scraped off the bottom of my shoe and walked away.

Last edited:
In my area and age, there were preps, jocks, freaks, and greasers. Preps were going to college, knew it, and took school seriously. Jocks took only sports seriously, were regularly honored with trophies at awards ceremonies, and were socially lionized. Freaks rode the cutting edge of later 1960's youth culture, and were heavily into music, fashion, and rebellion. Greasers were primarily interested in cars, and tended to be in remedial classes. I was essentially a "prep" in a grouping that would later become "nerds," subclass "band geek."

Our senior years were taken from the show Happy Days...the Fonz. Cigarettes rolled into the tee shirt sleeves, DA haircuts, leather jackets with the collar turned up. Most of us had cars, so Saturday nights cruising depended on who had the most gas.

Our cars were decked out with dual exhaust, glass packed mufflers and fender skirts. Most of us had 49,50 and 51 Ford V-8s. What a great time to grow up in.

I was a nerd, drama class was my specialty. We had a very small school. I think there were 73 in my graduating class. I know that because I gave the welcoming speech. I also did one for prom. ( We didn't have valedictorians, etc. Just speakers. I got to speak by default, there weren't many in my class that were in drama, and the drama teacher chose the speakers) I won awards for acting. It was kinda cool, but I was a lonely kid. Still am. Lonely AND a kid.

I was part of the leather jacket wearing, pot smoking, car junky crowd. But I was also into sports (hockey & baseball), so I pretty much fit in with the jocks too. I was one of the first in my class to own a car in my junior year which attracted more friends. Me and a buddy who also had his own car used to park on a side street beside the school every morning and play some loud music. The usual crowd would show up and we'd all smoke some weed and ciggs before going in to class, if we went into class at all. I was also a frequent skipper of school and wrote all of my own notes for junior and senior years. I had practiced my Father's signature to the point where it was impossible to tell the difference between my forgery and his real one. In junior and senior year I was on work release and only had 4 periods of school. The first two periods were Math and English, the other 2 were automotive classes. The school day ended at 11:30am for me and I would then get some lunch and head to my full time job at the local repair garage/gas station down the street from our house. I worked Mon-Fri from 1pm to 9pm and half day on Saturdays. I worked on cars from 1-5 and pumped gas from 5-9.

Looking back on things I should have taken school more seriously and I would do it differently if I had another go at it. That being said I did enjoy every minute of what I did to the fullest, probably too much at times. My drug and alcohol use was heavy for a while and got me into some trouble. Thankfully I woke up and straightened myself out before it was too late.

Our school had a large marching band and as well as a full concert orchestra and I was first viola. I hung with the nerdy little orchestra group

Lucky you, Pappy. People knew you were there. Violas got no attention which was probably just as well. I wasn't very good. You didn't have to be good. Just loud.:D

My high school days were not all that great. I was extremely shy and had a hard time making friends. Some of the problem was the kids I went to grade school with were little monsters and I learned to just avoid them. Well, avoiding people carried over into high school and I didn't take advantage of joining after school groups or activities. So, I drifted through high school, not great but not that bad either. I had a couple of close friends I hung around with.

Looking back, my high school years were just an in-between time.

Back