What happens when one wants a divorce and the other doesn't?

grahamg

Old codger
What happens when one wants a divorce and the other doesn't?
https://speakingofmarriage.com/2013/09/08/spouse-wants-divorce-and-you-dont/comment-page-1/

Quote:
"If you were to poll twenty-five couples therapists, at least twenty-four of us would say that couples with this “mixed-agenda” are the most challenging couples we see. While one has come into the therapy to design an exit strategy, the other is frantically hoping that couples therapy will pull them back from the brink.

To the spouse who wants out, working on the relationship is roughly equivalent to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. All that person can think of is “where’s the nearest lifeboat and how soon is it leaving?”

As a couples therapist it’s my job to support the goals and interests of both clients, to not side with the concerns of one at the expense of the other. I can no more advocate for one partner to stay married (or do couples therapy) when he or she is dead set against it, than advocate that the other one give up all hope for a reconciliation.

In order to be most effective, I have to, essentially, take both sides at once."

In order to do that, I’ve had to challenge most of the conventional wisdom that shapes the way both therapists and clients look at the “one out and one in” dilemma. And, I’ve had to rethink some basic theories of couples therapy that I learned in graduate school, as well.

We therapists are trained to be neutral. While I have no stake in whether a couple decides to stay married or not, neutral isn’t my best stance when dealing with divorce. I’ve learned that whatever position a client has taken, be it IN or OUT, I’m most effective when I ask them to fully explore why they’ve chosen that option.

Too often, divorce is put on the table long before a couple has exhausted all other alternatives. And sometimes people want to stay in a marriage that is ultimately unhealthy for them. Divorce will set in motion a series of painful events that will impact all involved— the couple as well as their children, family and friends. My goal is to help them make the soundest decision possible.
(Break)
To get an accurate sense of conventional advice, I did a Google search for the question, “what if my husband wants a divorce and I don’t?” Here are some key points that I gathered from marriage and legal advice websites as well as advice message boards:

You really don’t want to be with someone who isn’t in love with you.

Come on, face the facts. There’s no way to stop your spouse from leaving you.

The counsellor said that it takes two to make a marriage work and that since he doesn’t even want to try, I need to go to counselling to deal with the divorce.

If your husband says he wants a divorce, don’t say anything. Just listen. The next thing you should do is find yourself a good lawyer.

Most of this advice is designed to persuade the person who wants to fight for the marriage to, instead, get on board with the divorce.

But what if that person strongly believes that divorce isn’t the right choice? What if she thinks they have a lot to lose and she’s willing to work hard to fix things? What if he wants to slow the whole thing down, to take a few months to really assess whether divorce is the really their only option?

In cases like this, I’ll support the leaning-in client to go about the work of mending the marriage alone."

Depends on how big the estate us and in what state the divorce is filed in. A women married to a very wealthy man is likely to do very well. The divorce lawyer tells the judge she shouldn’t have to live a lesser life than she does now just because the husband wants to hook up with some younger chippy. If she (the divorcee) has children and he has a high 6-figure income, he’s going to get rung out to dry. By it’s all over and done with, he’ll be lucky to have enough left to eat on for a week. I have seen this happen and he was going to have his wife murdered,but he chose a cop for the hit man and ended up in prison.

I see...well, this calls for a prayer...are you a praying man Graham?
Its wrong really isn't it, for any forum member to pretend they know with any certainty what another might think, not least because my reaons for posting this thread have as much to do with wanting a discussion about what does happen to our fellow men and women who find themselves in the position described, and as we've seen experts do encounter such situations, and endeavour to help where they think they can, (all the narrative in the OP is taken from their website in case you haven't checked).

Like anything else you fight as hard as you can and when you just can't win you move on with grace.
It begs questions doesn't it, (such as why anyone should invest emotional energy into a partnership where there is so much uncertainty?).

I once worked for an American manager who told me he was planning for the day when two of the three of his teenage daughters would divorce, even before they were even courting seriously, let alone married. I'd suggest most of our children and grandchildren face similar jeopardy concerning their most intimate, and "biologically significant" relationships, whether we like it or not.

Don't know haven't experienced that.

Various crime series on HULU show death of either partner the result of not wanting a divorce. That varies between greed because the partner doesn't want to split assets & infidelity.

You can’t make someone love you and who wants to be in a loveless marriage anyway. None of my 3 husbands wanted a divorce because they had it made.

On marriages 2 and 3 I only gave up after much couples counseling trying to make the marriages better but in the end people rarely change. The marriages lasted 22 and 23 years so no regrets when I finally gave up. I don’t understand people not being able to move on after divorce.

You can’t make someone love you and who wants to be in a loveless marriage anyway. None of my 3 husbands wanted a divorce because they had it made.
On marriages 2 and 3 I only gave up after much couples counseling trying to make the marriages better but in the end people rarely change. The marriages lasted 22 and 23 years so no regrets when I finally gave up. I don’t understand people not being able to move on after divorce.
The failure to understand those who dont move on, or wish to do so is a common problem on this forum.
Here is anther example of someone who couldn't move on. A woman I knew whose fiancé was killed in WWII. However, as far as I know, no one thought it their business to try to tell her she should move on, and put behind her this obviously fairly common wartime experience by finding a new partner.

"What happens when one wants a divorce and the other doesn't?"
Homicide is not uncommon.
But seriously, usually what happens is a divorce.
Your "not serious point" raises issues such as though divorce rates have gone from 5% to roughly 50% in my lifetime, and yet unless I'm wrong, the numbers resorting to extreme measures you describe hasn't increased tenfold, so is this a success story would you say?
Perhaps the US manager contemplating the divorce of two out of three of his daughters was being perfectly practical, and I suppose our children being brought up to consider divorce as natural as staying together is quite reasonable, (much as I disagree with it).

Last edited:
Married the 2nd time - I insisted on a pre-nuptual (sp?) agreement that we don't touch each others assets. I had the house and some assets, he had a good pension and savings.

The failure to understand those who dont move on, or wish to do so is a common problem on this forum.
Here is anther example of someone who couldn't move on. A woman I knew whose fiancé was killed in WWII. However, as far as I know, no one thought it their business to try to tell her she should move on, and put behind her this obviously fairly common wartime experience by finding a new partner.
I didn’t mean that one needed to move on to another relationship but it’s unhealthy to stay stuck emotionally and dwell on the divorce or death decades later. Having another relationship is a choice and some people don’t want to do it again. That can also be a healthy choice. Being stuck in the past is not.

After my divorce, I decided that living well is the best revenge.
I recently saw a really nice BMW convertible down by Lake Ontario..The plate read WAS HIS. I think that sums it up nicely.

BTW Ontario is a no fault divorce Province, so no need to prove "infidelity " or anything, An equal split of the assets bought during the marriage, and in some cases, depending on the income of the 2 partners, one of them may wind up paying spousal support to the other one. That was the case in my Wife's first marriage because her husband declared bankruptcy due to his failed UPS store operation. She had no financial involvement in his business, but she was ordered to pay him $ 2000.00 a month for a year by the court to support him. JimB.

To the spouse who wants out, working on the relationship is roughly equivalent to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. All that person can think of is “where’s the nearest lifeboat and how soon is it leaving?”
True, particularly after you've tried to make it work, but the spouse has no plans of joining that effort.

Back