What Home Security Precautions Do You Use?

Lee

Thankfully I live in one of those neighborhoods that is definitely low crime due to the fact that a thief would be spotted by all the people here that regularly twitch their curtains.

But habit dictates locking the door.

And the motion detector was already here, hate it though, goes off if a raccoon happens by.

Curious about others, do you feel safe in your home? What precautions have you taken?

Last year, there were a couple of break-ins at our condo, even though we have very good security here. Every unit has a security pad, but obviously some do not use them.

When we were in a house, we had motion detectors .. and dogs for 20 years. They were a great deterrent. Though friendly, to hear them bark when someone came to the door, you wouldn't know it.

I feel very safe.

I live on the third floor with a steel entry door that has a standard lock and a deadbolt lock that is always on.

My biggest fear is fire so I chose a brick and concrete apartment building. I believe that if we did have a fire in one of the neighboring units I would be fine if I just put a wet towel under the door and waited it out. The only things in the building that can burn are the carpets and personal possessions.

My neighborhood is fairly safe, been here over 40 years, and I feel very secure in my home. We have security bars on the windows and doors, we installed them years ago because we regularly took camping trips that would last from two weeks to a month, and wanted our property secured in our absence. I could be home alone and sleep all night with windows and doors open if I wanted and still not worry at all. We have the dog to let us know if someone is approaching our house from the street in front, or our back yard. We also have a gun ready if an intruder ever did enter, something we've never needed to use over all these years and probably won't ever have to.

Last edited:
I feel very safe.

I live on the third floor with a steel entry door that has a standard lock and a deadbolt lock that is always on.

My biggest fear is fire so I chose a brick and concrete apartment building. I believe that if we did have a fire in one of the neighboring units I would be fine if I just put a wet towel under the door and waited it out. The only things in the building that can burn are the carpets and personal possessions.
Aunt Bea...when we built this big joint, many years ago our insurance company sent an adjuster down from "Big D" to inspect it for a rating. He said the house would never be a full "burn out" - walls and basic structure would still be standing so our insurance rates are much lower. Think you are so right in your thinking.

Crime is of little concern in our rural area. Once in awhile someone reports a minor theft of something left outdoors, but that's about it. There are a lot of hunters in our area, and virtually every household has firearms of some sort. If anyone came into this area, trying to break into houses, etc., they might not make it back to the highway.

I feel very safe.

I could have written your post @Aunt Bea ... my thoughts, and my situation EXACTLY. :)

crime can be anywhere ' I live just off a small village in the UK. petty crime still has it moments -
but the actual area where we are has been ok so far ' had new door fitted on our home double locks
built in it - but then we have a conservatory -which are the easiest to get in too …

When I first moved here 15 years ago, this was a new development and there was no crime at all. The last few years I've read through Nextdoor.com some of the neighbors complaining about break-ins and car invasions. I don't have any security measures but do keep a baseball bat in the hallway, ''just in case''.

I've forgotten to lock my doors many times and one time I even left my house keys hanging from the door outside 🤯 , but luckily I came through unharmed. I try to avoid doing that. I have fire alarms, but since I'm deaf they are worthless to me. I did ask for and paid for extra insulation in my walls, but that was for energy efficiency.

I live on a dead end street with about 14 houses. State trooper next door. Retired lady minister across. Good friend also across and down who works for the city. (he has told us if we need anything, let him know and he will leave it on our porch - great to have those kinds of neighbors)

We have had a security system for several years - also a dog and there are lots of barking dogs close by. We've had some thefts off and on - someone even robbed the lady minister, who now lives alone.

This is a great street to live on.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a "nice" neighborhood with many celebrity neighbors. I learned years ago that "Nice" does not mean crime free.
After an attempted break in with 4 people home, TV on, I installed an iron gate, better locks, a couple of extra firearms & more training.
My next-door neighbors were an elderly couple & the house they were renting is owned by an NBA star. They had a home-invasion robbery 2 years ago & were both beaten, requiring hospitalization. I noticed security gates after that.

Crime is of little concern in our rural area. Once in awhile someone reports a minor theft of something left outdoors, but that's about it. There are a lot of hunters in our area, and virtually every household has firearms of some sort. If anyone came into this area, trying to break into houses, etc., they might not make it back to the highway.
Ditto for us. Don't know of a neighbor anywhere around that doesn't have multiple firearms. Skeet shooting and target practice are big family pastimes for them (and us...lol).

Crime is part of the equation when living in the suburbs of a big city. Being security conscious is included in the rhythm of our lives. Don't even think twice about it. I'd no more have my doors unlocked - day or night - than I would drive without putting on a seatbelt.

We have an alarm system including noise & motion detectors that we set every time we leave the house or bed down for the night. 10-12 foot double key dead bolt iron security gate (camera focused on it) before getting to the front door. Steel security screen doors with dead bolts on other exterior doors, plus dead bolt wooden doors behind those screens. 6' Gates leading to back yard are always padlocked.

We have a dog, interior and exterior cameras, and neighbors who look out for us - as we do for them.

I have a pistol under a pillow in the bedroom haha.

Better choice. Takes 1 second to open & prevents unauthorized access - including children. Also ensures that you're fully awake before handling a gun.
Stealth Portable Handgun Safe PS1210EZ

Same where I'm at in Tennessee. Plus 2 dogs one of which doesn't like strangers and is very protective of home and me..

If anyone came into this area, trying to break into houses, etc., they might not make it back to the highway.

That's the way it is at the cabin
They'll wish they hadn't

I have a pistol under a pillow in the bedroom

I have my 357 in my bed stand, and my sawed off 12 gauge on the wall

The sound of either makes unsavories scurry
Kinda fun

I live in a relatively crime free area in that petty crime is the only thing that goes on here on the odd occasion that it does.

We have no need for bars on our windows here as we do in our gated community home in Spain.... but we do have Motion detectors... all around the front , side and rear of the house. The sheds and barn have heavy duty locks and PIR alarms...

WE have the Video Ring doorbell as well

WE also have neighbourhood watch and the vast majority of my neighbours have been here for decades like us, and we all know who is a stranger in the area..

I have an Australian Shepard dog and an old Colt 45 S/A. But I'm not afraid of anyone breaking in. Actually, I can't understand anyone living in fear.
Things are only THINGS! Even your life goes on forever! There is no death, only change!
I have a neighbor who has five big dogs, a husband and is still TERRIFIED someone may break in to her home. I don't understand that thinking. I don't understand the fear of death either. Heck! Bring it on!

I have an Australian Shepard dog and an old Colt 45 S/A. But I'm not afraid of anyone breaking in. Actually, I can't understand anyone living in fear.
Things are only THINGS! Even your life goes on forever! There is no death, only change!
I have a neighbor who has five big dogs, a husband and is still TERRIFIED someone may break in to her home. I don't understand that thinking. I don't understand the fear of death either. Heck! Bring it on!
People (like myself) who take precautions to protect themselves don't necessarily do so because of a fear of death. Some consider it a moral obligation to not allow others to take advantage of their age or physical weaknesses. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing.
I have no fear of death, but I won't allow anyone who's bigger, younger, or stronger to hurt me OR my loved ones. And the same goes for my pets, friends, or guests in my home.

Back